PDA

View Full Version : Who does your taxes?

Black Hole
02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I've done my taxes since I was 18......always on the 1040ez form.

This year is the first year that I can claim the interest on my house and I'm now married, so I have the joint return to deal with. I'm debating on trying to do the taxes by myself, maybe with TurboTax or one of those software packages, or possibly having someone else do em.

What do you guys do? ....and if you use a software app or have someone else do them for you, post that up too!

Thanks! :bigthumb

Holly
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I've done my taxes since I was 18......always on the 1040ez form.

This year is the first year that I can claim the interest on my house and I'm now married, so I have the joint return to deal with. I'm debating on trying to do the taxes by myself, maybe with TurboTax or one of those software packages, or possibly having someone else do em.

What do you guys do? ....and if you use a software app or have someone else do them for you, post that up too!

Thanks! :bigthumb

We are in the same situation Matt. I asked the tax attorney here at work, he said we would get a better deal filing together. I have started ours on TurboTax, it is the easiest and cheapest route to go, plus they put the money in your account within a week of filing. I plan on finishing ours up tonight. The SBZ account is whole different ball game, Vinny gets to deal with that. He will probably end up owing the IRS for SBZ. :(

Pops Fun
02-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi
We have used Turbo Tax the last 3 years, seems to work pretty good.

Holly: Hope the SBZ taxes work out OK!! :(

stroked4eyes
02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
My wife does our taxes...we itemize everything including the write-off we get from me running the race car as a business. She is an accountant and I am happy with her work...and she is nice to look at :D

Carl
02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Matt, prepare to be happy! The first couple years owning a house are the best since you pay so much more in interest. I have been itemizing my taxes since 04 and am still getting back $1400 this year.

Black Hole
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I've paid a ton of interest this year.....I'm hoping for a few grand!!!!!

mustangboy
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
My wife has done ours for the last 4 years using Turbo Tax. In fact she just finished and sent in both our state and federal and I expect I will see at least one of them sometime next week. It usually comes really fast when you file electronically but does cost like $16 more. I think between the two we will get back around $5500. We even adjusted the amount she puts in but with me staying home it throws everything off.

kennebellcobra
02-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Turbotax.com easy easy easy

Carl
02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok, I don't want to hear a peep out of you kid havin' people....$3000 tax credit for having a lil one....Yeah, I'm talk to you Kenny..haha...

mustangboy
02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Yeah we have 3 kids, I stay at home and my wife usually gets a nice size bonus which taxed to all hell and back. Last year we got over 7k back. At least kids are good for one thing.:D

ADaughen
02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm taking mine to H&R Block this year.

Bought a house
Moved 1/2 way through the year
Got married
2nd mortgage for windows
Two student loans...

All that... I'll let someone else bother with it for ~100$. They said if we weren't impressed with the return amount we could cancel, no charge, and do it ourselves.

I like that comercial on TV where the lady is like "What we're being audited!?! Honey, who did our taxes? Ask the box what we should do..." LOL

DeckerEnt
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
I take mine to Miller Tax Agency here in Fort Wright Ky. He always gets mine done fast, e files fed, I mail state, and with a house, home equity, 3 kids, way too complicated for me. I will let this guy do it for around 100.00.
Keith

Black Hole
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm taking mine to H&R Block this year.

Bought a house
Moved 1/2 way through the year
Got married
2nd mortgage for windows
Two student loans...

All that... I'll let someone else bother with it for ~100$. They said if we weren't impressed with the return amount we could cancel, no charge, and do it ourselves.

I like that comercial on TV where the lady is like "What we're being audited!?! Honey, who did our taxes? Ask the box what we should do..." LOL
I'm with ya...

New House
Got Married
Moved (within same state/county)
2 student loans that I'm paying on.
1 medical loan that I paid off.

I think I'll try TurboTax. I did the H&R Block online software last year and I liked it, but I don't know if it's good enough to deal with everything from last year. :dunno:

IWRBB
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Go to irs.gov, click on E-file, go to the partners link. That should give you a page of about 20 places you can do federal online for free. I use Liberty Tax Service, which used to be ESmarttax. I've used that for 4 years, and it's completely free if your AGI is below $52,000. If you've done your own taxes before, you should have no problem doing a full 1040 with itemized deductions. I had over $16,000 of deductions on 1040 Sch A, the standard deduction is only like $5,000. On schedule A, you can count property tax, mortgage interest, state and local taxes, plus any charity, etc...

For Ohio, just use Ohio's I-File and do it online for free. Piece of cake.

Black Hole
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Go to irs.gov, click on E-file, go to the partners link. That should give you a page of about 20 places you can do federal online for free. I use Liberty Tax Service, which used to be ESmarttax. I've used that for 4 years, and it's completely free if your AGI is below $52,000. If you've done your own taxes before, you should have no problem doing a full 1040 with itemized deductions. I had over $16,000 of deductions on 1040 Sch A, the standard deduction is only like $5,000. On schedule A, you can count property tax, mortgage interest, state and local taxes, plus any charity, etc...

For Ohio, just use Ohio's I-File and do it online for free. Piece of cake.
That's how I found the H&R Block service last year.....I liked it.

AGI is over 70k if we file together....I think that's a problem though.

cstreu1026
02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Our taxes are a mess generally. My wife has income in two states (part of her parents farm is in her name) and my job doesn't take out city income tax for some reason. The accountant that handles my inlaws' taxes handle ours. In the past we have filed jointly for some things and seperately for others. The accountant usually works through the numbers to see which way works out better for us.

Black05GT
02-01-2007, 01:07 PM

I think the $52K limit is for someone filing single. I'm not sure, but I think you can still get free software if you are married and have AGI over $52K. Just go to the IRS site and check it out. Do not pay for the state service. For the Ohio taxes, anybody can do those free at tax.ohio.gov

Black Horse
02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Turbo Tax rocks!

95redstang
02-01-2007, 02:42 PM

Did you make any home improvements to your house? In the first year you can deduct you home improvements..Even paint...
If I don't see at least 7,000 I'm going to kick uncle Sam right in the sack..
first full year of deduction intrest on the house,property taxes, 2 kids, a ton in donations, mileage to and from the chiropractor and DR visits, dr bills, and prescriptions..I'm sure that I'm forgetting some more..

BigBadStang
02-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Turbo Tax is the Shiznit!
i think you have to have like 10k in itemized deductions to make a difference over the standard deduction. i always go through all that and end up using the standard anyway. :dunno:

Black Hole
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Did you make any home improvements to your house? In the first year you can deduct you home improvements..Even paint...
Hmmmm....

Built a welded wire fence with wood posts and rails along with 2 gates.
Completely redid our master bathroom....paint, trim, tile in the shower, plumbing, shower head & control, vanity, medicine cabinet & mirror, all accessories.
Completely painted basement.
Purchased supplies to paint master bedroom.
Completely painted entranceway and dining room with hallway.
Completely painted front and side doors.
Created French Drain down 130' of south property line and 70' down west property line.
Cleared 1/2 of my rear yard of brush/trees.
etc.....

Now if I can only find the receipts?!?!?!?! :confused:

ADaughen
02-01-2007, 03:55 PM
^^ I'm with you. Spent $500+ on paint alone.

Plus the weeks of stripping wall paper, ripping down God awful paneling and the drywall behind it.

Laid carpet in two rooms. Tiled a third with ceramic.

noslo50stang
02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I usally use Tax Cut, by H&R Blockheads

But this year Im using a CPA I setup with a network and some work stations ealier this year so I figure I'll get a decent deal from her. She has here own firm

95redstang
02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Hmmmm....

Built a welded wire fence with wood posts and rails along with 2 gates.
Completely redid our master bathroom....paint, trim, tile in the shower, plumbing, shower head & control, vanity, medicine cabinet & mirror, all accessories.
Completely painted basement.
Purchased supplies to paint master bedroom.
Completely painted entranceway and dining room with hallway.
Completely painted front and side doors.
Created French Drain down 130' of south property line and 70' down west property line.
Cleared 1/2 of my rear yard of brush/trees.
etc.....

Now if I can only find the receipts?!?!?!?! :confused:

That's the big thing, receipts...You have to have documentation...I wish I would have known that last year...I would have bought a pool and a jacuzzi and used that for deductions...

02mingryGT
02-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Turbo Tax here as well. I've been using Turbo Tax for the last 6-7 years. Before that I did them by hand.

I do about 6-7 other peoples as well every year mainly family and friends. Turbo Tax is easy to use.

ADaughen
02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
That's the big thing, receipts...You have to have documentation...I wish I would have known that last year...I would have bought a pool and a jacuzzi and used that for deductions...

It's only on the tax for the improvements.

So... looks like the intrest on the windows AND the tax is coming off. :bigthumb

The rest, I MIGHT have spent 2000-2500, so tax on that is ~140$. I spend more on that in two weeks for lunches. :HYF:

95redstang
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM

So... looks like the intrest on the windows AND the tax is coming off. :bigthumb

The rest, I MIGHT have spent 2000-2500, so tax on that is ~140$. I spend more on that in two weeks for lunches. :HYF:

I know I just forgot to add the j/k..

Hangingcogs
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM

I didn't know that...good to know!

I have done my own taxes since I was 16. For singles it is simple. For 2007 I am "self Employed" so next year I will probably pay someone because all the write off's, insurance, etc. plus I work from home. I was told there is a way to write off the sq ft of the room you use, interest on the mortgage, insurance, bills, etc. I am lost when it comes to all of that....I give you props if you have all the baggage and still know what you are doing!

95redstang
02-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I didn't know that...good to know!

I have done my own taxes since I was 16. For singles it is simple. For 2007 I am "self Employed" so next year I will probably pay someone because all the write off's, insurance, etc. plus I work from home. I was told there is a way to write off the sq ft of the room you use, interest on the mortgage, insurance, bills, etc. I am lost when it comes to all of that....I give you props if you have all the baggage and still know what you are doing!

There is a lot to it..I learned quite a bit from my wifes dad..He use to be a criminal investigator for the IRS..Then he left there to start his own DJ buss..If you have your own buss. that you run out of your home you can deduct internet service, electornics that can be used for the buss(pc's , laptops, camera's) ..Just call up a tax preparer..Better yet I think there are some CPA's on here or are married to one...Ask them...

thejock60
02-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I use H&R block, have been for the last 6 years. I got back $6300 in federal and $1100 in state. If anyone wants to go to a H&R block let me know I'll send a referal slip and get u an extra $15 dollars:bigthumb

nkystanger
02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Turbo Tax.com

walks you through step by step.

ADaughen
02-01-2007, 09:29 PM
I use H&R block, have been for the last 6 years. I got back $6300 in federal and $1100 in state. If anyone wants to go to a H&R block let me know I'll send a referal slip and get u an extra $15 dollars:bigthumb

I'll take that slip. :)

Black03SVT
02-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Turbo Tax..........

thejock60
02-02-2007, 09:11 AM
also for the people who are doing their own taxes...there is a extra tax break for having a cell phone with long distance service, I got an extra $60 dollars this year for that.

IWRBB
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Yea, you get the rebate on the universal access fee they put on the phones. Check that on efor sure.

Don't forget, if you got a rebate from the state last year, it has to go as income this year on the federal. It's line 8 or something like that on the 1040.