PDA

View Full Version : a new price for the impatiant

plated
02-01-2007, 10:55 AM
rule #1 don't rush the painter!i seam to cut some people slack on pricing but it's becoming a problem/for the price i had charged you may think they would take it in to consideration:rolleyes: not to hound the hell out of you in there own little ways.it's funny how there just project cars that have been sitting around but the day they get brought to me they gotta get it right back so they can sit around for another year while being finished.and there's the one who likes to make up his own price on how much i charge them to do there car:lol: not! don't get me wrong i really don't mind painting cars the work i enjoy for the most part like to see them done all purdy.i guess if you want quick service you will have to pay the BIG $$ most shop owners i know won't even paint an allover but if they do i know they start at around $2,000 and can climp high as $10,000 . and can have the car for up to a year before completion:mad: i know if i drop of an engine to be built, i don't expect to see it back for a month or so and thats just a engine build.an all over paint job (done correctly) is a whole lot more work.and the price of materials is just so damn high you can spend up to $500 in just materials to paint a car:eek: .just venting hoping to school a few people who are new to the paint job thang.and letting you know the inside scoupe of whats involved...........mark this isn't about you:bigthumb see ya sunday

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah dude i hear ya....why do you think i haven't hounded you about painting my heap? I wouldn't want to insult you with a lowball price because i honestly don't know what it SHOULD cost ya know? Plus, i see where you're coming from and i agree, but i can also see that people know you do some sick paint jobs and they're probably just excited to see what you can do! Eventually once my car comes along to the point where i feel like i've spent enough to make it go faster (which is a long road ahead..lol) i'll be knockin on your door for sure, and i promise i won't hound ya :D

bobtsgt
02-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I guess some people don't realize things unless they are forced to do them. I think thats the only way they can appreciate the work being done and all the time and effort being put forth to their car.

5.0calypso93lx
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
the price of materials is just so damn high you can spend up to $500 in just materials to paint a car:eek:

I paid very close to just that much for the clear! That doesn't include the primer, paint, tape, sandpaper, etc. Hell I'm shelling out $100 just for materials for wetsanding and buffing! People just do not understand how much work goes into paint and body.

plated
02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
i don't mean to come off as a dick.but i'm trying to build a reputation not ruin one:) i'm not on the overhaul team,it's just me doing the work not a flock of people on rotating shifts that show makes us look bad sometimes:( with sponsers suppling everything.i like to do this for fun but when it becomes to feel like a job i'll have to pull out the estimate pad then the price goes up.try going to a bodyshop and have them sit down to a computer and give you an estimate you may be surprised what this stuff really cost$.

dedpedal
02-01-2007, 02:00 PM
When ya gonna give me a price on mine?Im thinking I could have it done this year maybbe.

Black Horse
02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
$500 dollars for materials - thats on a GOOD day! I have bought paint at over $250 a gallon - thats just the paint, not the tape, thinner, primer, clearcoat, sanding paper, etc.

Chris - as long as you are fair with people you will always have business (you certainly have the talent). If someone doesn't like your schedule or pricing, thye have the choice to go somewhere else, and you always have the option to say no you can't do it.

95redstang
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
$500 dollars for materials - thats on a GOOD day! I have bought paint at over $250 a gallon - thats just the paint, not the tape, thinner, primer, clearcoat, sanding paper, etc.

Chris - as long as you are fair with people you will always have business (you certainly have the talent). If someone doesn't like your schedule or pricing, thye have the choice to go somewhere else, and you always have the option to say no you can't do it.

:agree:

MFIELD
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Chris the bad part is most people have absolutly no idea what it takes to paint a car the right way. If its shiny when its done there happy. I like to do side work but I wont do it half ass, if you dont want to pay the price then I'm sorry someone else can do it. Material cost are outragous, I paid $460 just for the basecoat on my car, almost $1300 in all and I'm sure I forgot some of it. The last estimate I gave the materials were just under $1200. I dont think anything will ever change, at work everyone wants to be first they dont care about who's car was there before theres just get mine done. I say Fuck it and dont let it bother me anymore. To many sleepless nights, I got better things to worry about. PS Hulks car looks badass.

plated
02-01-2007, 02:41 PM
after some research on mitchells estimating systems wich about 99% of the shops use you would have up to $375-$450 per panel to paint ,times that by every panel add on material you can $4,500 really fast,oh thats just paint time,add body dent work labor to that wich roughly can be $75 for a dime size dent times oh say 12 dings in the whole car.this is all rough idea pricing give or take a couple hundred

BigBadStang
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
i think the shows like overhaulin are part of your problem. guys see it done on tv, but they dont get to see the whole process, so they think one guy can "git 'er done jus like on the tv!!"

orangedemon331
02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Thats a good point, never rush the paint guy!! I cant wait to get mine done and you can bet that there will be no rush on it at all!! You just keep thinking about what we can do to it, to make it look like its going 8's while sitting still!! Keep up the good work Chris!! And for those who rush people f*#koff!!

Black Horse
02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
The other problem (with people's perception) is they see the Maaco adds for the magical $300 paint job. (I remeber the days of the Earl Schibe $65 paint job - you just had to use whatever color they had in that 55 gallon drum and be aware they would paint over anything (rust, marker lights, side moulding, etc.)

The body shop estimators also include the maximum amounts allowable by the insurance companies, without regard for how much it actually costs to fix/paint. Sometimes you make money on one portion of a repair, and lose on another - most shops hope that they can balance it out (as well as takeing a few liberties) to make the most from the insurance dollar.

plated
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Thats a good point, never rush the paint guy!! I cant wait to get mine done and you can bet that there will be no rush on it at all!! You just keep thinking about what we can do to it, to make it look like its going 8's while sitting still!! Keep up the good work Chris!! And for those who rush people f*#koff!!yours will be another one i'll like and enjoy doing. you said hot pink with yellow scallops right?:lol:

plated
02-01-2007, 04:51 PM
The other problem (with people's perception) is they see the Maaco adds for the magical $300 paint job. (I remeber the days of the Earl Schibe $65 paint job - you just had to use whatever color they had in that 55 gallon drum and be aware they would paint over anything (rust, marker lights, side moulding, etc.)

The body shop estimators also include the maximum amounts allowable by the insurance companies, without regard for how much it actually costs to fix/paint. Sometimes you make money on one portion of a repair, and lose on another - most shops hope that they can balance it out (as well as takeing a few liberties) to make the most from the insurance dollar.
it won't be long the insurace companys will own all the shops and control it all,they allready are starting to,it's called drp direct repair facility you have to be up to par for what there asking out of you,if you don't run your buissness there way they take you off there list,and the shop will starve from work and eventually go out of buisnness .macco don't even go there.or pressure wash it

orangedemon331
02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
yours will be another one i'll like and enjoy doing. you said hot pink with yellow scallops right?:lol:

Hey that works for me, its hard to make fun of something that is that fast anyway!!!:lol:

plated
02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey that works for me, its hard to make fun of something that is that fast anyway!!!:lol:

u got a point there:dork: no when ever your ready lmk,can i make an 8sec pass just once ,free touch up for as long as you own it

orangedemon331
02-01-2007, 05:14 PM
u got a point there:dork: no when ever your ready lmk,can i make an 8sec pass just once ,free touch up for as long as you own it

Your more than welcome to , but you will have to get in line with Craig and Rob!!:bigthumb Someone might have to show me how to drive it!!!

firestang70
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Chris your work is amazing. I hope in the future for you to do some work on my car. As long as its done th enext day! j/k I envy you, I wish I had the skill and attention to detail to paint the way you do. Your car looked great at the Calvalcade. jeez I sound like a stalker.:lol:

Metcalf Racing
02-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Your more than welcome to , but you will have to get in line with Craig and Rob!!:bigthumb Someone might have to show me how to drive it!!!LOL....

plated
02-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Your more than welcome to , but you will have to get in line with Craig and Rob!!:bigthumb Someone might have to show me how to drive it!!!
lets wait to paint it then till it makes a few passes bouncing off the gaurdrails @ 150mph is hard on the paint.and the underwear

orangedemon331
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
lets wait to paint it then till it makes a few passes bouncing off the gaurdrails @ 150mph is hard on the paint.and the underwear

Thats why I'm buying Kirkeys, I can spray off the seat and wash the cover!!:lol: :eek:

zippy94
02-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I think there is Macco close by, Have them take if there!! :lol:

orangedemon331
02-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I think there is Macco close by, Have them take if there!! :lol:

I wouldnt let macco paint a derby car!!:lol:

R825OH
02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Have to stand up a little for Maaco, FIL has one that is certified to do factory paint and bodywork. Not all of them are hacks. in fact he has 2 body guys there that are really good.Its just like you said, sat sit down and start adding shit up and people freak out even at Maaco. they all want the 399.00 special and there car looking new sorry not quite !! But hey not everybody wants there cars to be show cars !!

8NO4CYL
02-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh no! Don't be hatin' on me. :D

zippy94
02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I not bashing on Maaco, But that's some peoples mentality on autobody and paint. Keep up on the good work Chris. love the new paint job on plated!!!

R825OH
02-01-2007, 10:51 PM
:) its cool I totally know what cha mean people don't know perfection=time

Stangman
02-01-2007, 11:10 PM
If people piss ya off by rushing ya, bitchin about prices, watchin over your back...etc. just do what Von Dutch was rumored to do... do something completely different on the other side on purpose, or...wipe it off!! (that would create and interesting result in a paint job :lol: )

YouGotJunk
02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Plated....you definately have some talent and shouldn't let Jackasses get to ya..keep doing what ya love and dont let anyone take that from ya..Anyways...You think if I drop my car off saturday along with this nice crisp 100 dollar bill you can repaint my whole car..and add some flames to her...and have it back to me by monday morning?? LoL Just kidding man!!!

Camaro86SHOCKER
02-02-2007, 10:08 AM
yeah Plateds car does look nice, and so do all the cars he paints. It was nice seeing it at the cavalcade cause generally the only time i ever get to see that car is tucked back in the driveway on my way to work or getting the piss beat out of it down 32 which is why i like that car, it looks that good and is never driven easy...
if only people knew what went into painting. I had a hand in my car being painted and its alot of work and i wasnt even doing the majority of it.

ponyboystroker
02-02-2007, 02:44 PM
The people that own the cars need to realize that you are doing them a favor and they should be nice rather than being asses.

I was thinking and I thought that maybe this idea would help.

When you give people a quote for the bodywork and paint job maybe you could tell them it will be done within a certatin time, give or take a week or two. If they start bitchin about the time frame you can say for every week you want it earlier it will cost x amount of dollars more. This way when they start bitchin you can say: "you agreed to the time frame of how long till it would be done." When you hit people in the wallet it generally brings them back in contact with reality.

BTW- I still hope for you to do the bodywork on my Jeep one day when I have more spare money, which will hopefully be soon. :)

RACEME
02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
i don't mean to come off as a dick.but i'm trying to build a reputation not ruin one:) i'm not on the overhaul team,it's just me doing the work not a flock of people on rotating shifts that show makes us look bad sometimes:( with sponsers suppling everything.i like to do this for fun but when it becomes to feel like a job i'll have to pull out the estimate pad then the price goes up.try going to a bodyshop and have them sit down to a computer and give you an estimate you may be surprised what this stuff really cost$.

I have just kind of sat back and wondered how you get stuff done so fast.

Motorvation
02-03-2007, 03:31 AM
macco don't even go there.or pressure wash it

That's funny you say that! I lost a huge chip due to pressure washing the Maaco paint on my 65!:lol:

Mavowar
02-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Ya know I have yet to have a good XP with a painter. I never hounded,bothered, or was late on payment. 3 paint jobs 3 problem childs. :mad: So I said screw and started learning myself.