PDA

View Full Version : What will a Superchips chip do for my '94 GT??

Stangman
02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I have the chance to get a Superchip very cheap, i believe its a piggyback style, ecu ->chip ->harness plug, its used and has no faults, so Im curious, what would somthing like that do for my mostly stock GT?

with my tax money I plan to get a 3.73 gear installed, cold air intake, pulleys, and hopefully full exhaust, if not then partial exhaust (atleast equal shorties and an X-pipe)

Stangman
02-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I have heard that the superchips take 10 key cylces to completely kick in, and the reason i am considering this is its so cheap because the owner is going to a carb'd setup and need the cash for a 351 for his sn-95, and the chips are pretuned arent they? or sumthin like that?

Rick93coupe
02-03-2007, 12:46 AM
I would pass on the mail order super chips. There are much better options out there these days. Once you start changing things on your car, your going to want something that is adaptable to your changes, such as an SCT chip and there are a few companies that sell and tune them that are on this board. In fact, they would be the best source of information as far as letting you know whether you stand to make any gains with the parts you have now. Good luck.

Stangman
02-03-2007, 12:55 AM
even for an obd 1 system?

Rick93coupe
02-03-2007, 01:00 AM
even for an obd 1 system?

I wasn't being that specific as to which ecm you're running, only to point out that if you buy a chip that was built around a certain combination, and you change that combination, then your chip needs to be let in on the secret.

Stangman
02-03-2007, 01:10 AM
i see, what do the superchips usually do anyway?

e5shea
02-23-2007, 11:23 PM
There are some advantages and disadvantages to running a chip vs. handle held, and visa versa. With my chip I can switch between 4 tunes on the fly (which is cool) Bad news is that I have to take apart the leg well to get the thing off so that we can tune it. If you know what your doing with a hand held you can change the tune and the plug into the OBDII port (to my knowledge). With my current set up the SCT chip with a custom Mike Bell tune was worth a peak of 13.5 rwhp (10.2 average) and peak 38 rwtq (33 average). To date, the most noticable mod I've done. That could be a different story on a 5.0 motor though.

I'll be hitting the dyno next week with a new 75mm Accufab t/b & plenum, MAC long tube headers, and an o/r prochamber vs. the o/r h-pipe from the last few pulls. I'm sure we'll pull with and without the chip to see what it's worth when you've maxed out bolt ons for a 2v.

this site maybe able to answer some more questions for you http://www.americanmuscle.com/tuner-differences.html

NXcoupe
02-24-2007, 02:10 PM
He can only use a chip because he is OBD1. A chip can alter anything the computer controls. Such as timing, fuel curve, egr, thermactor, trans shift points, rev limiter, etc. It is a great tool to get all your speed parts to work together. All the canned pretuned chips do is raise timing a little. Not really worth it in my opinion. I do SCT tuning both mail order and dynotunes, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Stangman
02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
you can get them for an OBD1 5.0?

I honestly dont know jack about computer tuning

one90gt
02-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, you can get an Sct chip for an OBD1 car.
My car is a 331 turbo setup (OBD1 computer), and i'm running an SCT chip tuned by Ken @Md.

Stangman
02-25-2007, 11:59 AM
oh thats right, i remember seeing your car, cool.