PDA

View Full Version : Foxes vs. S197

Sharad
02-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I think it was one of the recent 5.0 magazines, one of the editorials or letters to the editor, that mentioned a debate between foxes and S197s. I'll tell ya, in the past few months, I've come to the conclusion that I REALLY like the S197s. Problem is, I can't afford one. I can barely afford a fox! My opinion on the subject is this, I think the foxes will continue to be popular simply because the '05+ cars are not yet accessible to everyone.

If I miraculously was given $20,000 to buy a Mustang, I don't know if I'd buy an '05 GT, a '93 Cobra, or like a clean $8000 fox and just slap a fat ProCharger along with the necessary peripherals on it.

Perhaps I'm just babbling. I guess what I'm wanting to say is that I'm sort of leaning toward the "the S197 is a superior car" crowd, which surprises me since I've been a diehard fox guy for 21 years. I just can't act on my preference for the new cars since they're still so high. Now, I would totally buy an S197 and throw a 302" in it, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be with the factory wiring.

/babbling

Gene
02-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Having owned most of the late model Mustang variants (and having driven at least one example of all of them), I have to admit that I would be torn. The S197 is definitely a superior car, but I do have a soft spot for the comparative rawness of a Fox or early SN95 car. The S197 is almost too refined.

$20k to spend on a car? I'd probably buy a S197. But I'm burnt out on projects. However, at that kind of money I'd be tempted by a Fox along the lines of Craig's coupe (prior to the current disassembly).

firestang70
02-06-2007, 07:42 AM
I love Foxes, SN 95s,New Edges. I bought an S197 and love it. The chassis is tight, suspension is wonderful, brakes OK,drivetrain is a delight. So now with a few boltons I'm in the 12s. With a few more hope to be mid 12s. All this and be able to use it as a DD, without any issues and all the creature comforts. To me its a win/win situation and plan on keeping this Stang for a long time. Good luck Sharad, you will love the S197 if you can find one financially acceptable.

Sharad
02-07-2007, 01:19 PM
so last night I whipped out the april '06 issue of 5.0 and just lusted over the FR500C article for about an hour.

*sigh*

I LOVE THAT CAR!!!