PDA

View Full Version : throttle sticking open

thejock60
02-07-2007, 06:55 AM
it's a 1989 mustang 5.0 HO engine, it doesn't do it all the time. Mainly after the car is driven for awhile and warms up, it doesn't do it driving down the road either and it just does it when u try to start it back up. Actually it won't even crank, the car is pretty much flooded and we have to roll it off to fire. Then it bounces off rev limiter, cut it off and then restart it with the switch and usually runs fine. We've checked the throttle cable and it seems to be fine, put new springs on it to no avail. The only thing we notice is when it sticks gas pours out from around the throttle body, any ideas to where to go next?

dedpedal
02-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Moved to the windsor section!

If gas is coming out the throttle body, Id say that theres a problem somewhere else. Mine sticks shut at idle if its adjusted too low.Check all the grounds on or near the motor and computer. It could be losing ground and frigging with the computer.

thejock60
02-07-2007, 12:09 PM
sorry about the wrong section, the motor is a 91 though, not a 89 forgot to mention that. I'll check those aswell as the flap sticking on the throttle body. Thanks dedpedal.

dedpedal
02-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Check your floor mat. I just remembered that I had issues with the pedal getting stuck on the edge of the mat.

mailman
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Also check for carbon deposits in TB.

PaulFiveOh
02-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Check your floor mat. I just remembered that I had issues with the pedal getting stuck on the edge of the mat.

Oh my gosh, lol, who would of thought to check for something like that haha!

NXcoupe
02-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Could also be the IAB valve sticking open due to carbon. It wont' floor it, but it will seem like it.