PDA

View Full Version : Hot tubs

DeckerEnt
02-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Anyone on here know anything about hot tubs? Mine just quit working on me the other night. I lifted the cover, saw it was 100 degrees, hit the plus button to set it at 102 or 103 and it lost power. The circuit in the house isn't tripped, and neither is the one outside. The one outside is in a box and is a 50 amp? I think. The water level is good and isn't frozen yet.
I am going to bring my carpet cleaning truck home tomorrow and drain it of ALL the water so I can forget about it till spring but if it can be fixed reasonably, I would do that. I love soaking in it while it is snowing.
Keith

RACEME
02-12-2007, 06:42 AM
You will have to get the water out of the lines and pumps or put some type of non freezing stuff in it. There are usually some type of circuit board on the inside of the tub skirt. There should be an access panel that can be removed with a few screws. I have had my hot tub for 7+ years with only minor fixes.

bestracing
02-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Might be a dumb question but does the circuit card or the power converter for the circuit card have a fuse on it? Could be a cheap fix.

bobtsgt
02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
you may want to get a schematic off line and start testing the wires. you might be able to trace it down. could be a thermostat issue.

IWRBB
02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
We had a similar but different issue with my Dad's hot tub.

The inside breaker was OK, but the outside was a GFCI breaker and the GCFI circuit kept tripping every time we tried to power it on. It did it out of the blue, it had worked fine that way for years. We tried everything including a new GFCI breaker, but eventually ended up removing the GFCI breaker from the box and putting a regular 50 amp breaker in. My Dad is an electrical engineer with about 40 years experience- he believes it could have been mositure in the powercable bleeding off a minuscule amount of current and the GFCI breaker is so senisitive that it kept tripping. If the wiring is done right, you really don't need the GFCI on the tub circuit anyways. It's more important to have it on outlets around the tub, where a radio or something could fall in.

Not sure about yours though, it could be anything- the control panel, the main circuit board, the heater, pressure swithes, who knows. Good luck with it though.

DeckerEnt
02-12-2007, 11:29 PM
I messed with it a little. I took off the side panel and found the circuit board. No problems there but I am no electrician or computer guy. So I cut the power from the gfi breaker outside and drained it of ALL the water. I used my carpet cleaning truck and extracted water from every jet, filter and even from the bottom of where the main filter goes. I vacced till all I got was air.
I will worry about it after the thaw. Looks like major snow tonight.
Keith