PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question about license plates....

Stangman
02-13-2007, 12:12 AM
When i wrecked my '89 GT a few years ago I lost my front plate, and when i went to switch my tags to my '94 GT the the place you go to (the name has escaped me) said oh we'll take care of it, just sign here and we will get it switched, but i got new plates instead.....:confused:

i was curious if there was a place out there where i can legally get a replacement plate to match my old one, and if i can i wont get a custom plate when i finish my '88 LX to GT clone swap

What would happen if a car went into a body shop with severe damage to the front and the plate was completely mangled? do they get to order new ones??

Mista Bone
02-13-2007, 01:09 AM
buy new plates is the only answer.

You can run around with no front tag, then explain to every cop who pulls you over for a BULLSHIT reason of no front plate. I ran no front plate for 4 years, got pulled over a few times. Lucky I had an accident report on record from the OHP that I'd hit a dog. I didn't have the plate on at that time, but it worked.

Get a asshole cop and you might not be so lucky. Easy $100 or so fine......

Also.......DMV won't want to issue you new plates after a wreck, they think your trying to scam them......yet without new plates your illegal without the front plate. ANY cop can pull you over, make up some PC excuse, then have at you from there.

Nice Catch 22....lucky I "found" my front plate that wasn't attached to begin with.

AskCinciCobra/Joe, he's been a help, although CSEA has been dragging their feet!

Mista Bone
02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
oh yeah...........BE NICE!!!!!!!!!!

even if the cop is a dick!!!!!!! They hate it when your nice!!!!!!

But alot of stolen cars have the plates switched on the back and no plate on the front.....most of the cops are just following their gut feeling......

BTW front plate on the dash is a no-go also.

Gene
02-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Replacement plates aren't expensive. According to OPlates.com, it's $5.00 to replace one plate.

www.oplates.com

Stangman
02-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I wouldnt mind gettin a replacement (do you think they will replace it since i lost it december 2004???)

but if not i was thinkin about going with a custom plate, somthin like "clond5oh" if that will fit.

untamed
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
oh yeah...........BE NICE!!!!!!!!!!

even if the cop is a dick!!!!!!! They hate it when your nice!!!!!!

But alot of stolen cars have the plates switched on the back and no plate on the front.....most of the cops are just following their gut feeling......

BTW front plate on the dash is a no-go also.

My plates are on the dash and a state cop told me it was fine as long as they can read it. My son had to go to court once for that and he took a picture in to court that had the date on it that was dated two days before the citation, thought it was a long shot but the judge threw it out cuz the plate was visible and was readable in the picture. I guess if the cop wants to get you bad enough he will find something to get you for.