PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland 76 Falls

Pops Fun
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
A shot of cumberland 76 falls with the dropped water level As you can see very little water down there..

Black Horse
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Looks like a lot of folks will be heading over to Norris lake this year.

WhiteT
02-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Here is a forum that has some good photos of how low the water is in some areas. http://lakecumberland.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=31

Dale Hollow for me this summer:)

90BLACKlx
02-15-2007, 09:11 AM
that sucks. im down there all the time. im goin down this weekend to look around

DeckerEnt
02-15-2007, 09:32 AM
What is the problem down there?
Keith

90BLACKlx
02-15-2007, 10:14 AM
the land part of the dam is leakin and they lowered the lake to take pressure off the dam while they are makin repairs

Rob
02-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Holy Crap!!! I heard they were going to drop it by 50 ft or something.
That is going to make Norris Lake very crowded this year.

Kevin Doe
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
And make for a lot of struggling local buisnesses at Cumberland. If it weren't for turning it into a tourist attraction, there would be nothing there.

bobtsgt
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Dale Hollow for me this summer:)

hell yeah. I haven't been there for years :bigthumb

ffmueller81
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
hell yeah. I haven't been there for years :bigthumb

That's what I am afraid of. Dale Hollow is usually a pretty quiet lake, but this year is gonna be different. Not too excited to see a whole bunch of Cumberland's people down there...:(

WhiteT
02-15-2007, 04:10 PM
That's what I am afraid of. Dale Hollow is usually a pretty quiet lake, but this year is gonna be different. Not too excited to see a whole bunch of Cumberland's people down there...:(

I went to Dale Hollow last year. It was nice b/c it was not crowded. We planned to goto DH this year anyways. I guess we better make plans now!

Sharad
02-15-2007, 08:35 PM
And make for a lot of struggling local buisnesses at Cumberland. If it weren't for turning it into a tourist attraction, there would be nothing there.

I wouldn't say that... I mean, people live here... but the dropped level is a bummer. (on the other hand, it will be nice to enjoy a three day weekend down here without the "ohio navy") Today my boss said there are only two major marinas that will have a ramp into the lake. One was Conley Bottom and I can't remember the other one. I heard that if they drop it as low as they're saying they will this winter, the Somerset water plant will have to extend their water pickup.

For now, there's still water behind my house at Lee's Ford Marina.

JIMS SVT
02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
I was there this past summer.

Camaro86SHOCKER
02-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't say that... I mean, people live here... but the dropped level is a bummer. (on the other hand, it will be nice to enjoy a three day weekend down here without the "ohio navy") Today my boss said there are only two major marinas that will have a ramp into the lake. One was Conley Bottom and I can't remember the other one. I heard that if they drop it as low as they're saying they will this winter, the Somerset water plant will have to extend their water pickup.

For now, there's still water behind my house at Lee's Ford Marina.

interesting, we boat right down there. we keep our boat at suits us farm storage and we have a vacation house right off of hideaway drive that overlooks lees ford. I sure hope lees ford doesnt lose their ramp, thats where we always boat from.

Sharad
02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
hahaha!!! Hideaway is literally RIGHT BEHIND MY HOUSE! (100' or so away?) If you ever need your house checked up on, let me know... I ride my bike back there.

Bad news though... Some of Lee's Ford will still be in the water, but I'm told the ramp will not be. Next time I get a chance (maybe tomorrow) I'll snap a pic of the ramp from behind my house to let you see what it looks like right now. (it's supposed to go down about another 50 feet)

Sharad
02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Here's what it normally looks like behind my house:

mustangboy
02-16-2007, 11:56 PM
So I wonder how many dead bodies they will find.:evilgrin:

Rick93coupe
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
they're talking about dropping the level to 650', damn, how deep is that place normally?

Pops Fun
02-17-2007, 08:42 AM

:lol: I was wondering about that yesterday..

Sharad
02-17-2007, 09:50 AM

some of my friends are talking about heading out with metal detectors when they drop it... what else is there to do?:lol: Seriously though, a lot of people take their four wheelers and off road trucks out on the lake bed when they drop the level. Parts of PC Park and Burnside Marina are already dry.

they're talking about dropping the level to 650', damn, how deep is that place normally?

I think that's the water level at the dam. I've heard it's only about 100' or so by my house. It gets deeper closer to Jamestown.

true
02-17-2007, 10:49 AM

The normal summer pool is around 723 feet (220 m) above mean sea level.
The tree line is about 725 feet (221 m).
The maximum pool is 760 feet (232 m) at the top of dam floodgates.

Rick93coupe
02-17-2007, 12:48 PM
wow, I had no idea. I rented a cabin several yrs ago over near Sharads house and I remember the pontoon boat it came with had a long ass rope and used it all.

Camaro86SHOCKER
02-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Here's what it normally looks like behind my house:

HOLY SHIT! that view is like exactly what mine is only mine is shifted a little more to the left. Ever been back hideaway and seen those new 2 story wood condos their building that are going for 300k+ ? Our vacation place is the trailer in between those lol. Its a decent place to vacation but those condos have really made our place look a lil out of place lol. But our land there is now worth $$$$$, yeah our place is the place with the blue roof and a brown front door. Maybe this summer when i go down for the sumernites cruise i can meet up with ya and bullshit.

Sharad
02-18-2007, 09:48 PM
definitely pm me when you're coming down.

My house is right in front of three new two story condos they built (no trailer in between) on hideaway.

I took some lake pics today. I'll upload them tomorrow...

Camaro86SHOCKER
02-19-2007, 01:51 AM
sounds good man, wow what a small world.

Sharad
02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
No pics of Lee's Ford yet. I've got the flu and it's all bad. :(

Here are some pics I took yesterday from the bridge into General Burnside Island State Park. It's crazy. People are normally boating around in here. Now it's completely dry. You can see a road down there!

One pic shows the dry part where people are driving their four wheelers. The other one shows Burnside Marina. It's actually completely DRY about 100 yards from the Marina. That's wild!!

Also, one detail I didn't get in the pic, is looking toward the marina, there was a pontoon just chilling in the dirt. I assume it sank and has just sat there. You'd think the scavengers would've been recycling that metal by now!

bestracing
02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
You can see a road down there!
Isn't there some buildings under the water down there from before they damed the river? I might be thinking of somewhere else though :o

Sharad
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
well, you can see some foundations here, but there are whole houses on the other side of the marina that were flooded.

Sharad
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Good news! The lake's not nearly as bad as the media made it out to be. (doom doom DOOM!)

Our marine audio business has not dropped at all this year! Some parts of the lake are dry but most of it, including Lee's Ford Marina, still has plenty of water.

Here's my friend and I, mountain biking on the dry lakebed at Pulaski County Park:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/061907033.jpg

Here's us out on the "shop boat" last week on Lake Cumberland near Fishing Creek:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/061807034.jpg

Camaro86SHOCKER,

I think I met your grandfather or whoever it is that lives right behind me. Harold? Seems like a nice guy!

Camaro86SHOCKER
07-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Good news! The lake's not nearly as bad as the media made it out to be. (doom doom DOOM!)

Our marine audio business has not dropped at all this year! Some parts of the lake are dry but most of it, including Lee's Ford Marina, still has plenty of water.

Here's my friend and I, mountain biking on the dry lakebed at Pulaski County Park:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/061907033.jpg

Here's us out on the "shop boat" last week on Lake Cumberland near Fishing Creek:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/061807034.jpg

Camaro86SHOCKER,

I think I met your grandfather or whoever it is that lives right behind me. Harold? Seems like a nice guy!

Howard, Yeah he told me he talked to a guy who knew i had a Mustang, i assumed it had to have been you. Hes legally deaf so you have to be patient with him lol. He just recently had a wheel fall off his f-150 and screwed it all up.

Im trying to think which house is yours, its so weird because ive been going down there since i was just a little boy.

Sharad
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
yeah, he seemed like a nice dood.

BigBadStang
07-08-2007, 01:09 AM
we used to put in at alligator 1, but their ramp is out of the water, and Ed is moving the marina past Gator 2 into deeper water. the county is building a new ramp @ alligator 1 to give public access to the lake. for the time being, we just go to gator 2 to put in. it's only an extra mile or so.
our place is outside of Eli.
everyone...believe the media...its all dried up, run to dale hollow, and norris! :evilgrin:

j/k there is PLENTY of great water! even at the lower water level, cumberland is still way bigger than DH. i was just trying to have more of the beautiful lake to myself!

Sharad
07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
hahaha, yeah, that's what everyone's been saying here. "Tell the Ohio Navy that the lake's all dried up!"

The lake was packed yesterday. (and I didn't get to go out)

2-8-1
07-08-2007, 07:48 PM
I think that's the water level at the dam. I've heard it's only about 100' or so by my house. It gets deeper closer to Jamestown.

Thats 650ft above sea level, I think at its deepest its only about 600ft deep

fastone
07-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Cumberland at summer pool has a depth of around 300' at its deepest points in the channel starting by jamestown and heading to the dam..... All Amry Corps lakes go by feet above or below sea level..... Doesnt mean that it is actually that deep!