PDA

View Full Version : Clean your damn car off!!

Gene
02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
I hate this weather. Especially the morons who refuse to clean the excess snow off the roof of their car/truck/SUV, etc. I was driving downtown earlier today and some jackass in an SUV had a sheet of snow and ice a solid 6' in diameter blow off the top. I barely avoided hitting it, having to dive across two lanes of the interstate. It would have easily destroyed my windshield if it would have hit me.

Then, I saw some girl in an SUV who basically cleared a 2' opening in her front windshield to look out of. Snow flying everywhere off of her truck, and I'm sure she had no peripheral vision.

Dumbasses.

stroked4eyes
02-15-2007, 02:36 PM
her

That is why.

Kevin Doe
02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I guess you hate those semis that toss plywood sized sheets off the top of their trailer. I saw some huge pieces flying off today, it was actually a pretty cool site seeing a 4x4 foot piece of ice/snow flipping like 30' in the air then crashing down. But I was in my DD do I didnt' give a shit it if would have dented every pannel on my car. LOL.

I hate this weather too. My heater in my truck stopped working. Fuck its cold in the mornings.

Gene
02-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I guess you hate those semis that toss plywood sized sheets off the top of their trailer. I saw some huge pieces flying off today, it was actually a pretty cool site seeing a 4x4 foot piece of ice/snow flipping like 30' in the air then crashing down. But I was in my DD do I didnt' give a shit it if would have dented every pannel on my car. LOL.

Yes I do, but I am understanding about semis that it's not exactly feasible to remove ice from the tops of them. But, I give semis a wide berth on days like today for that reason. You have no excuse if you drive a normal vehicle and don't clean the top off of it.

This is my daily driver (not an actual picture, but imagine this car with a couple of dents, a cracked windsheild and covered in salt). I don't want to have to replace the alloy hood because of someone else being inconsiderate.
http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/eurohot/bilder/xjr1.jpg

cstreu1026
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I feel the same way. I had the same thing happen. I only had to hit the breaks to avoid the snow/ice this mornging because it happened far enough in front of me. I made sure yesterday and today to get as much of the ice off as possible so I wouldn't be one of those people.

OrangeStang04
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
And this is the result of Ice flying off a car....

http://www.wlwt.com/news/11024210/detail.html

Just read it when I got onto channelcincinnati.com to figure out the HELL IT IS SNOWING AGAIN!!!

Kevin Doe
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I must say, your DD is much nicer than mine. Hahahah, 91 Ranger work truck wooo hooooo.

aangel
02-15-2007, 03:53 PM
That is why.

That's uncalled for.

I'm sure it was a HIM in the semi...

WTF?

Gene
02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
That's uncalled for.

I'm sure it was a HIM in the semi...

WTF?

Eh, based on the appearance of the girl in the SUV (early twenties, giant sunglasses, driving a nearly new Acura MDX), I'd say that's a valid point. I'm guessing West Chester/Mason spoiled brat college kid, so not exactly a pillar of common sense.

Black Horse
02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Eh, based on the appearance of the girl in the SUV (early twenties, giant sunglasses, driving a nearly new Acura MDX), I'd say that's a valid point. I'm guessing West Chester/Mason spoiled brat college kid, so not exactly a pillar of common sense.

The pool boy must be off for the winter and she had no one to perform such drudgery. Maybe she will actually be able to find room in her own garage one day after all the kids toys have been put away.

aangel
02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
The point is, as many "MALES" are driving around with ice on their roofs as there are FEMALES...

How about you? Did you really take the time to clean ALL the ice off of your car? How about an honest opinion poll on that one???

Maybe I'm a bit touchy these past few days..... sarcasim (sp?) about the opposite gender isn't really appropriate, ey?

ihave1sweetride
02-15-2007, 04:45 PM
You just have to get used to it... us females are picked on... it's not like they were talking about you! ;)

I will agree that there are some stupid people out there that don't take the extra 5-10 mins in the morning to make it safe for the people around them.

Mista Bone
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, I took the time to FULLY clean my car off.

I didn't clean it off until 4pm yesterday, the snow underneath made it easy. Took about 5 minutes to get door open, started the car and let it run while I was shoveling snow. Got out the rubber hammer and the ice came off in sheets, then brushed the snow off.

I can see some of the SUV's, not being able to reach the roof, but most of those people don't need them anyways!

PS: Likely very little snow rest of the year, I just got new tires.

Timido
02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Mine is sitting outside melting right now!!!! I just make it a point not to drive in front of JagS>

ibstrokin
02-15-2007, 06:19 PM

I hate this weather too. My heater in my truck stopped working. Fuck its cold in the mornings.

I dont know why your heater isnt working,but I just changed the heater core in a freinds 93 ranger, it only takes 20-30 minutes,cake

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-15-2007, 09:51 PM

I had one of those almost take out my windshield this morning coming home from work. It was so big that it actually made me flinch. Luckily it just missed me or i probably would have a busted windshield.

R825OH
02-15-2007, 10:21 PM
LAZY thats the word

02mingryGT
02-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Inconsiderate would probably be a better word.

Holly
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
I am going to go run the Excursion through a car wash, if it fits. :rolleyes:

ihave1sweetride
02-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I am going to go run the Excursion through a car wash, if it fits. :rolleyes:

Take it to Mike's, it will fit through there car wash, and they do an excellent job. :D

BigBadStang
02-16-2007, 10:55 AM
if you get bashed by a chunk of shit off another vehicle, and you didnt have time to react or avoid, the fact is you were probably following too closely. i know it is hard not to leave yourself enough room with traffic congestion, but it is most important in adverse weather and when there has been recent bad weather (snow and ice). i aint preachin, i just see shit happen all the time due to following too close as i drive a set of doubles up and down the interstate every night. be safe y'all!

Timido
02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I take my Battle tank Excursion to Mikes it fits just fine. It would take me forever to wash that thing. As far as inconsiderate and lazy I guess after 5-6 inches of snow and about 3 inchs of ice on top of that your car is spotless before you drive anywhere?>

Kevin Doe
02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I dont know why your heater isnt working,but I just changed the heater core in a freinds 93 ranger, it only takes 20-30 minutes,cake

I have no idea why it doesn't work. And its too damn cold to troubleshoot with a multimeter. Heater core is fine I know that. THe blower only turns on intermittantly. Something has got to be loose. I can pound on the cowl and *sometimes* it comes on. I wiggled all the connectors, and that didn't do anything. I'd bust out the multimeter and check voltages at certain locations, but my fingers would be frozen solid by the time I figure it out. And when it warms up I won't care, how ironic. Hahahaha.

aangel
02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
You just have to get used to it... us females are picked on... it's not like they were talking about you! ;)

I will agree that there are some stupid people out there that don't take the extra 5-10 mins in the morning to make it safe for the people around them.

Agreed... It is, afterall, a male-dominated board... :cool2:

02mingryGT
02-16-2007, 04:12 PM
I take my Battle tank Excursion to Mikes it fits just fine. It would take me forever to wash that thing. As far as inconsiderate and lazy I guess after 5-6 inches of snow and about 3 inchs of ice on top of that your car is spotless before you drive anywhere?>

Oh my truck still has shit all over it. I was just making the comment that it is probably more inconsiderate since it's flying off your car and hitting someone else's. Think about it, the energy used to clean your car has no benefit to you so it doesn't get done. No reward, no effort.

I could care less either way. I think the post earlier about following too close probably hit it on the head.

aangel
02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
yeah, damned impatient "MEN" following too close!

JUST KIDDING!

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I've gotta wonder if i'm the only one who does this.....lol

When it snows and you've got all that snow on your hood/roof.....i get going down the road pretty quick and just SLAM on the brakes....lol. It does a pretty good job of getting the snow off :D

Gene
02-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Oh my truck still has shit all over it. I was just making the comment that it is probably more inconsiderate since it's flying off your car and hitting someone else's. Think about it, the energy used to clean your car has no benefit to you so it doesn't get done. No reward, no effort.

That's why I used the word inconsiderate as well. It's people not caring about the risk that they're posing to other drivers.

There's a difference between taking the car through the carwash and clearing the snow off. My car had no snow on the top, hood or trunk before it left my driveway. It still is dirty as hell and has two weeks of road salt on it, but that's not creating a hazard.

I could care less either way. I think the post earlier about following too close probably hit it on the head.

I'm not talking about a piece of snow gently falling off the back of a truck. I talking about a large piece of snow and ice flying 30-40 feet up in the air and then crashing down on the road. "Not following too close" doesn't do anything in that situation. At 60mph, you're moving at 88 feet a second. That means in the 2-3 seconds that something like that is airborne, it's going to slam into a car 200ft. behind it.

Timido
02-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I took my excursion to Mikes today. WHat the washer didnt get the super high speed blow dryer did. There were 3-4inch thick pieces of ice flying everywhere. I hope there was not a Jag behind me in the car wash!!!! The other thing I noticed today is if you stay out of the slow lane you wont get the cars trucks that are just getting on the highway that are full of crap that is just starting to melt.

BigBadStang
02-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Agreed... It is, afterall, a male-dominated board... :cool2:

i think someone may have a little chip on her shoulder! :lol:

93gtstang
02-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I agree with big bad stang, i work out in this all day i dont want to clean my truck, if a sheet of ice hits your vehicle good cause u were probably to close to me for the conditions anyway!! Not trying to be a dick but i hate people that tailgate and dont give room when its icy/snowy outside

wild87stang
02-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I agree with big bad stang, i work out in this all day i dont want to clean my truck, if a sheet of ice hits your vehicle good cause u were probably to close to me for the conditions anyway!! Not trying to be a dick but i hate people that tailgate and dont give room when its icy/snowy outside

See i agrre with both of you but i can also understand what everyone else is saying i drive the highway everyday and work in this shit not fun but hey good money but anyways i understand the following to close yeah if they are well its their own damn fault but in the other case i have seen people 5 to 6 cars behinde another car/truck and a chunk of snow and ice blows off and wam! Okay you cant help it when you have traffic all around you and then again you are going down the highway and have enough distance between you to stop or move in time and some jackass decides hey im gonna get in front of you so that kinda pisses you off and then you end up getting hit by the chunk but thats just my .02 and what I see on a daily basis!

mustang8998
02-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I can agree with everyone on this. A vehicle, that can be cleaned off, should!

I drive a truck and it is not funny, to see that shit blowing off the roof. I feel for the people beside/behind me. I try to stay in the right lane and drive slower than I normally would.

There is just no way to clear that shit off. Sorry! :o

IWRBB
02-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I think there are some SUVs with roof racks that it'd be nearly impossible to remove an inch of ice from. Maybe they need to start making heated roof racks to melt the ice from the top of the truck. ;)

I know someone who had a huge ass sheet of ice come smashing through his windshield a few days ago. Lucky he wasn't killed.

I'm kind of leary of removing thick ice from any newer car, it's too easy to damage the thin sheet metal nowadays. Hell, the hood on my F150 is aluminum. No way am I pounding on that hood to remove ice. I park in my garage though, so it's not an issue for me.

A guy I work with had a brand new car totaled by a "lot boy" removing ice from the car before they took it home. They drove it home in the dark and snow and didn't notice. He went into the garage the next day and there were dents in every panel. He got another new car, the kid was fired.

IMO, it's time to get a beater if you don't like what winter and the local drivers are doing to your DD.

dedpedal
02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I read this and know Ill be buzzing down the road soon with a nice snowpack on top of my van... if you see me on the road, stay away.

Mista Bone
02-18-2007, 02:42 PM
I read this and know Ill be buzzing down the road soon with a nice snowpack on top of my van... if you see me on the road, stay away.

I'd just stay close and draft :)

aangel
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
i think someone may have a little chip on her shoulder! :lol:

nah, I'm a pretty easy going, people-person...

Just don't understand why one must point out the gender differences. They must have a complex of some sort or something went terribly wrong in a relationship, somewhere along the road...? :confused:

Life's too short and precious! :cool2: