PDA

View Full Version : What kind of springs should I run on my Big Block Coupe project???

Stangman
02-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Just for future reference for when I ever get that darn car to my house, lol, I PLAN on getting a QA1 tubular crossmember, but ive been told to stay away from coilovers, so... what kind of springs should i run on the front of this 7.0L beast to keep it from sittin the nose on the ground????

Keep in mind it is a 4 cylinder car right now. I will prolly run the 4 cylinder springs on the rear (from my '88 LX, cuz the coupe is sagging bad)

I am also going to use the k-member spacers as well, and i dont want this car to sit up as high as a stock fox, just a little lower.

Any suggestions????

thanks!:bigthumb

Rick93coupe
02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I would use a motor plate and a midplate with a big block to sit the engine down in the bay where you want it. Don't use the K-member spacers, its almost like doing a body lift on a jeep or something.

Stangman
02-16-2007, 03:09 PM
I would use a motor plate and a midplate with a big block to sit the engine down in the bay where you want it. Don't use the K-member spacers, its almost like doing a body lift on a jeep or something.

I think i know what you are talking about, but i cant picture it, and as for the spacers, i went to bigblockfox.com and several of them had the spacers and you cant even tell, I would like to achieve a nice stance, high enough in the rear to run a nice wide tire like the "widest tires on a 10-hole" thread, and some stock sized tires on the front and a lil lower in the front as well.

mustangboy
02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I would start w/ stock gt springs. Personally I am going to be running coil overs w/ an AJE k member, k memb spacers and a motor plate. As far as the coil overs I would think that if you had a heavy enough spring they would be fine. What was the reason you heard no coil overs. I think the ones I have are 175 which suck for a small block but should work fine for the bb.

Stangman
02-16-2007, 07:01 PM
what exactly is a motor plate? is that the plate that attaches to the frame/fender on each side of the engine and attaches to the front of the engine?

I heard no coilovers cuz they are noisy and hard to deal with.

mustangboy
02-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Yes that is the motor plate. It mounts between the w/p and the front cover and then is attached to the frame rails. It allows you to mount the engine as high or low and as far forward or back as you want. It also clears up more header room not having to deal w/ motor mounts. Yes coil overs can be noisy but honestly I figure my car will be fairly loud and probably won't even hear them.