PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up to help me with 96 PI SWAP?

Pitviper1996
02-16-2007, 11:40 PM
i will have all the stuff with no knowledge on what to do could use some much appreciated help. thanks:bigthumb

cstreu1026
02-17-2007, 01:45 AM
where are yo located?

Pitviper1996
02-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Springfeild ill buy a case lol

mustang8998
02-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Are you just doing the heads and intake?

bobtsgt
02-17-2007, 09:06 PM
give a zip. do you need help planning it all out or just doing the work?

Blue97GT
02-18-2007, 06:21 AM
I dont know squat about it, but I am more than interested in lending a hand turning wrenches or whatever ya need because I wanted to do this to my car...Let me know if its cool if I come watch, learn, and help ya guys out...

Pitviper1996
02-18-2007, 01:35 PM
planning n all lol. I buying heads today i already have intake. What else would i need besides gaskets? i might buy some cams before install date but we can get it all figured out

Pitviper1996
02-18-2007, 01:37 PM
ohh and blue your more n welcom to join breh. Its a learing process for me 2

bobtsgt
02-18-2007, 01:46 PM
it would be smart to replace every gasket you are taking off. it is possible to head swap in the car but much easier to take out the motor and do it. I wished I would have. my back took a beating. also while doing heads if you plan on shorty headers it would be a good time to do so.

look over on MD and search for PI swaps and there will be a ton of info to read up on. Plus Randy over there gets everyone a great deal on parts and knows mod motors and what you need to get it done right. for example you would need...

head gaskets, intake gaskets, fuel injector O rings, head bolts, valve cover gaskets & grommets, front main seal, front timing cover gaskets, possibly look into timing chains, guides and tensioners depending on mileage, PI water pump nipple and transer tube, PI alt bracket, header gaskets, ect.... I suggest making a list and leave room to add on to it.

Pitviper1996
02-18-2007, 03:03 PM
wow this sounds like its gonna be fun. I dont plan on gettin this done till weather warms up a little so i have some time to get parts gathered. So please all info on parts needed would be great car has 102,000 on it and i have Pi heads and Pi intake as of now.

bobtsgt
02-18-2007, 03:09 PM
your best bet would be to get a hold of Randy on Modulardepot.com and post up your plans. he will be able to get a list of everything you would need plus he can send you a fax with all the prices. With having over 100K on the car you may want to consider hose replacement, water pump replacement, chains due to stretching. Randy can give you an idea on what you need and how much.

cquist
02-18-2007, 03:24 PM
crank bolt

cstreu1026
02-18-2007, 05:10 PM
If you haven't been to forums.gemcitystangs.com you can go there there check out a PI swap in progress. I did it on my car last spring. Its really not all that difficult just a little time consuming. I did mine in the car along with long tube headers and a tubular k-member. If I were to do it again I would pull the engine. It makes doing things corrctly a little easier. Know what I know I would probably skip the FRPP head changing kit and buy all the gaskets and bolts seperately. I say thigs because I would use a set of ARP head studs instead. The Ford bolts are torque-to-yield bolts and can only be used one time. Thats a real bitch if you screw something up and have to take a head back off, because you will be out a good chunk of money for another set of head bolts (about $60 i think). Other items you will need is the coolant tube and nipple for a PI equiped car. The PI intake sits much deeper in the V so the original one can't be reused. You will also need a set of cam bolts if you are reusing your cam gears. Are you buying windsor or romeo heads? If they are windsor heads you will also need some additional bolts for the front cover where it attatches to the heads and I think you may also need a couple for the coolant tube on the back of the head. You will probably also want to think about deleting the EGR since it will be easier to reinstall things without it and getting the car tuned so that it runs its best. I am sure a couple of the dayton guys and maybe bobt can lend a hand.

Oh, the most important thing....make sure you have another car to drive. If you have all the parts and everything goes right you can get it done in a weekend. If not you could be without a car for a while.

bobtsgt
02-18-2007, 06:11 PM
how far do you live from there Cam? Mabey I can head up on a Sat and work through the night and crash at your house. let us know when you plan on starting the work Pit

cstreu1026
02-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Bob, i would guess that he is about 25 minutes or so from my house. You could always crash at my place. we have to s of extra room here.

Yellow01stang
02-18-2007, 07:30 PM
he bought my heads today(please let him know my car was a PI car!!)

bobtsgt
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Bob, i would guess that he is about 25 minutes or so from my house. You could always crash at my place. we have to s of extra room here.
awesome. depending on the weekend if I'm not going to the Bahamas I can probally shoot up there. Just have to find something to keep Angie entertained :D

cstreu1026
02-18-2007, 07:52 PM
he bought my heads today(please let him know my car was a PI car!!)

Are you going 4V?

bobtsgt
02-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Are you going 4V?

ssshhhhhh its a secrete :lol:

cstreu1026
02-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Well I am contemplating that very idea as I type this.

Pitviper1996
02-21-2007, 07:38 PM
yea i bought ryans heads sorry bro just kinda weary bout ppl i never met ya know. Nothing against you. but your honest and upfront so im good with ya if i ever meet ya again which i should lol. And i seen this kit in summit which includes all gaskets oil dipstick tube ect ect. Also the heads are romeos.

Might start the project within next month so anyones whos up for helping mhy number is (937) 346-6093 get ahold of me my name is Eric

Pitviper1996
02-21-2007, 07:54 PM
thanks to all who wants to help when time comes ill buy a case for ya:)

cstreu1026
02-21-2007, 09:40 PM
You can get the kit and it will work but you will need more stuff. Personally I would look to pick up a set of ARP studs since they are resuable and the bolts in the kit are torque to yield (one time use). It would be a little more expensive to go this route, but you would be better off in the end.