PDA

View Full Version : valvetrain noise/ need help

Steves LX
02-20-2007, 07:03 PM
O.K. guys from one problem to the next. It sure will be nice when I get all these problems corrected and I can actually enjoy this car. I have stock heads to the best of my knowledge and the rockers are pedestal non adjustable. When I got my motor and heads back from the machine shop I threw my heads back on installed my lifters and dropped my rods back in and folled crane cams instructions for ford pedastal non adjustable rockers and guess what I have valve train noise sounds like lifters ticking. And its comeing from both sides. When the car idles you dont hear it but drive it or rev it up and boy do you hear it. So the push rods that were in there I measured the pre load and it was at .030 so in reality thats good but I went and bought longer ones. The ones in there were 6.258. I bought 6.272 to replace them with and now I am at about .045 and guess what still have noise. My oil pressure is fine oil level is good but my valve train noisey tic tic tic tic. I have been back thru this thing I know at least 5 times and dont know what else to do. Call Crane Cams and each guy tells you something differn't. I in reality thought that my original push rods would be to long because I had the deck height taken down and .007 taken off the heads and a 3 angle valve job done. That making it shorter. But now I am clueless and tired of spending money enlessly and getting no results. My cam is the same as it was when I tore the motor down. I did not have this problem before hand. My gut tells me just go out and spend some more money onnew roller lifters but I 'aint got money to just be spending and not fixing nothing:mad: I also can be reached by phone at: (513)464-2436 Steve

Rick93coupe
02-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Are you absolutely positive its not a rocker touching the valve cover? It looks like you covered all the other bases. I'm not sure how common it is for that to happen with stock valve train, but with stock valve covers and roller rockers, its not uncommon to have a rocker tap on the valve cover slightly. Just loosening the bolts and moving the cover around a little would be an easy way to check.

Steves LX
02-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I 'm not 100% sure that its not I will try that. Crane Cams tells me to pull one of the valve covers off and start the ncar and have someone hold the idle up a little and see if it does it and if it does press down on the rockers with your finger and see if it goes away. Sounds pretty messy but I guess I will try that to.

Rick93coupe
02-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Its sort of a pain in the ass, but find an old stamped steel valve cover and cut the top off of it. Hang it in the garage for days like this. It'll keep the oil in there and off the headers.

Steves LX
02-21-2007, 01:50 AM
O.K. I appreciate it. Well before you could reply back I took the one valve cover off and and fired it up and it is just as noisy with it off as it is on. I tried to put a finger on a couple differnt ones and reved it up a little but thats about as useless as a tit on a bull. Its still noisy and the fact that more than just one is noisy on both sides I couldn't tell you if putting a finger on one and trying to push it down was quieting that individual one or not.

Rick93coupe
02-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Are the lifters still squishy, as in they haven't had enough run time to pump back up?

Steves LX
02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
No the car was running for 5-10 minutes when I did this. Not tomention burned the shit out of me twice hot oil splattering on me. These things are noisy after I drive it to work whick is pretty much all highway SR32 to 275 to loveland. About 50 miles one way.