PDA

View Full Version : Screwing Slicks to the rim

smytty
02-21-2007, 07:58 AM
When should you do this?

Jeff88coupe
02-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I just did this to my rims since the last time I was out I noticed that the slicks spun on the rims about a 1" during the 4-5 passes I ran that day. I was cutting 1.4 60's in a 3200lb car. It will vary on when they will start to spin on the rims. Best way to check if yours are is to just mark on a line on each tire/rim lip edge and see if it moves after a few passes.

bestracing
02-21-2007, 09:45 AM
:agree: What he said

PonymanfiveO
02-21-2007, 09:56 AM
I really need to do this also. Im just too scared to be drilling holes in my high dollar Bogarts. :(

Jeff88coupe
02-21-2007, 10:01 AM
I really need to do this also. Im just too scared to be drilling holes in my high dollar Bogarts. :(

Ya..I didn't like doing it to my set of warriors either....but ya gotta do it. I was at CS one afternoon when craig was drilling on a brand new set of alumistars...I was like Yikes:eek:

Maximus
02-21-2007, 11:42 AM

:chicken:
Bring them Bitches down, Ill do it:D

Hell bring a Camera, we will make a "Tech topic" while doing it. Alot of people have never done them.

Maximus
02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Ya..I didn't like doing it to my set of warriors either....but ya gotta do it. I was at CS one afternoon when craig was drilling on a brand new set of alumistars...I was like Yikes:eek:

So was I:lol:

Timido
02-21-2007, 12:03 PM
You could allways send them out and pay a bazilion dollars for beadlocks.

mustangboy
02-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I've done a couple sets. If you run tubes I would definately say screw them. If the tire spins on the rim you don't want the valve stem of the tube getting ripped off and causing a flat. I don't know if there is any power level that I would say you should start thinking about it cause I've spun them w/ a 13 second car. Tire stores do have some black tar type stuff that will help seal the bead to the wheel and should help keep the tires from spinning on the rim. Also I don't know if it is the best thing to do but I've also just drilled them on the back and not the front so it does not mess up the look of the wheel. If it help and you need it I have one of those big discs that you lay on the wheel and it shows you exactly where to mark for the screws. One other thing that helps is when you are actually tightening down the screws is to use a little grease on them so they will go in easier. Hope any of this helps.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I guess i lucked out...i got my Welds drilled by the previous owner.

It's funny though because every time i've talked to people about a trade or something, they never understand why the holes are there and it's like they're turned down by it. I'm gonna pick up some nice allen head screws to fill the holes with just for looks since i'm running radials.

PonymanfiveO
02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
:chicken:
Bring them Bitches down, Ill do it:D

Hell bring a Camera, we will make a "Tech topic" while doing it. Alot of people have never done them.

DEAL!;)

I need four tires and tubes as well.

chad393na
02-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't use screws on my rims. I've marked them, and after they move an inch or so, they seem to "lock" in place and not move any more. This may not work for everyone, but this is what i've found.

dsmawd350
02-22-2007, 12:33 AM
my prostars are screwed also. just put some shoe polish on the rim and tire and see if the lines move apart