PDA

View Full Version : LDC clutch freeplay kit???

ffmueller81
02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Has anybody used or heard of the LDC clutch freeplay kits??

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170779&highlight=LDC+Freeplay+clutch

I just now heard about it, and am wondering if this would help keep my TOB quiet when my clutch is fully engaged

It says that it is used to eliminate the dead spot in the pedal with aftermarket clutch set-ups but, it also talks about keeping the TOB off of the clutch fingers.....

IWRBB
02-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Got it, I like it. It does both, removes slop and keeps the fork off the TOB.

SimpleMan
02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Have one. Like mine also :bigthumb

ffmueller81
02-22-2007, 10:30 AM
sweet, thanks guys

PKFIRE
04-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Sorry to open this back up but I just ordered one for the same Problem. How long did it take for you guys to get yours?

IWRBB
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
I dunno, a week maybe? You'll get it quick it they have them on hand.

It's a side business for them so if they are out of stock it might be a bit before more are made up.

Gearhead
04-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Has anybody used or heard of the LDC clutch freeplay kits??

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170779&highlight=LDC+Freeplay+clutch

I just now heard about it, and am wondering if this would help keep my TOB quiet when my clutch is fully engaged

It says that it is used to eliminate the dead spot in the pedal with aftermarket clutch set-ups but, it also talks about keeping the TOB off of the clutch fingers.....

That's pretty neat, seems like you could fab one up real easy as well....

IWRBB
04-19-2007, 11:36 AM
You easily could. They even posted the info on exactly what you need to make one on ModularFords when they brought it out.

At $3 a gallon for gas and vehicles that get 12 MPG, I'm better off buying/shipping something that cheap than driving around and looking in various hardware stores for right parts.

I can never find what I need around here anyways. Typical exchanges at the autoparts store....

(Smythe)
Got any Ford Gold coolant?
What's that?
You know, the stuff my car and all of the new diesel trucks take?
I got some of this here orange stuff...
Uhh, never mind.

(Autozone)
Got any Redline 5W-20?
Nope, we don't have any of that. We got some 5W-30 though.
I wasn't asking for 5W-30.

(Smythe and Wilcox)
Got any of that 3M Duramix stuff?
Yea, we got that.
Got the gun to dispense it?
Nope.
Sigh...

(Advanced)
I need this Gates belt.
-Give them a part number-
What's it for?
It's not stock, it's a 10 rib pulley system for a 03 Mustang Cobra.
That part number isn't valid.
Yes it is, the part number is correct, I got it from Gates' site.
-He looks in a book for 5 minutes-
They don't have that belt.
Yes they do, I know they have it.
-He goes and gets someone else, Guy #2 punches part number into the computer-
It's listed right here, what's the problem?
Jesus tapdancing Christ...

(NAPA)
I need your next shorter belt size than this one.
This looks like a 10 rib belt.
It is.
We don't sell 10 rib belts.
Why does it say NAPA all over it then?
Well, maybe we do. Let's see. How long is that one?
I dunno, you tell me. You have the computer and catalog.
Looks like it's 83.1" long.
Great, what's the next shorter size?
79".
I was looking for a 1/2 or 1 inch shorter, not 4.
That's all we have.
Oh well. Thanks anyways.

5 minutes online and everything is on it's way to my door...

ffmueller81
04-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Just got mine installed today at MD while getting my TOB fixed. This is not worth the hassle if you have an adjustable cable.

Matt had a hell of a time adjusting the clutch with the free play kit and the adjustable cable on. He recommended I just take it off the free play kit. I guess I will drive it for a bit and see for myself, but right now I am probably going to take the freeplay kit off

IWRBB
04-20-2007, 08:28 AM
That's seems weird. It makes it way easier to adjust IMO. I have a stock clutch, cable, Steeda QR quad, and a micro click FW adjuster.

The key is that with the spring in place, the clutch pedal has a 2-step feel. The first inch of pedal travel from the top is the spring compressing and has just a bit of resistance. Then the clutch picks up and it's much harder to push in. I can see how an aftermarket clutch with a lighter pedal effort might make it hard to tell where that transition occurs. The early 03 Cobra clutches have a heavy pedal effort. They revised the PP to make the pedal effort less in the later cars and the 04s.

All I do is turn the click adjuster until that first "step" is about an inch of travel. You know at that point it's close to the TOB, but not touching yet. If it's too loose, there's lots of travel before the clutch picks up. If it's too tight, the clutch picks up right away and there is no 2-step feel.

If all else fails, all you need to do is pull the dust shield on the trans and look at the TOB and fork. Have someone tighten up the cable with the FW adjuster until the shift fork is about 1/8" of an inch from the face of the TOB. You can easily move the fork with your hand compressing the spring to check that the fork is still clear of the TOB after it's released. I always set it by pedal feel and sometimes check it when I have the car on ramps for service, it's always been perfect.

I'm really suprised they had a hard time with it, it's such a simple setup. Other cars had a similar spring return setup from the factory back when clutch cables were common on cars. The spring pulled back on the fork from the rear instead of pushing back from the front, but it's the same concept. I've even seen guys do a custom rearward pulling spring setup on Mustangs as well. They make a bracket off the crossmember, then drill a hole in the fork. Run the spring and it's done. If it's done that way, you have to use an extension spring and not a compression spring.