PDA

View Full Version : Help picking an air compressor?

5.0calypso93lx
02-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Now that I'm moved out, and have my own garage to work out of, I need to get some tools. First thing I'd like to get is an air compressor. I've always just used the one my dad had in his body shop, and it was a huge Snap On compressor, and I'm not even sure of the specs of it. I just know its taller than me, and its huge. I'm sure it was a couple thousand and I don't want to spend anywhere near that.

So, I've been looking at the craftsman 30 gallon, 150psi compressor:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00916871000&cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

The other good thing about the above compressor is that it comes with a 1/2 Impact, and 3/8 air ratchet.

Anyone ever used one? Whats the main difference between this one and my dads', besides the obvious?

I only plan on using it on the weekends and a couple nights a week.

Thanks guys.

bobtsgt
02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I've got a verticle Husky 30 gal and it does ok. I keep it cranked out though with a 1/2 feed hose and a water seperator. The tools that come with it are okay for awhile but I would look into investing in a HD 1/2" impact once money allows. Even perhaps a nice 3/8" rachet too. As for cutting off tools and air chisles I bought mine for Harbor Freight. They still work after 3 years with a little oil here and there. The only bad thing is the tank doesn't hold that much so if you are using it often expect it to kick on more and more.

5.0calypso93lx
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
I've got a verticle Husky 30 gal and it does ok. I keep it cranked out though with a 1/2 feed hose and a water seperator. The tools that come with it are okay for awhile but I would look into investing in a HD 1/2" impact once money allows. Even perhaps a nice 3/8" rachet too. As for cutting off tools and air chisles I bought mine for Harbor Freight. They still work after 3 years with a little oil here and there. The only bad thing is the tank doesn't hold that much so if you are using it often expect it to kick on more and more.

Bob, what did that compressor run you? How loud is it? I'm not looking to do anything hard core here, just basic tinkering, haha!

bobtsgt
02-21-2007, 05:17 PM
I got it for a Christmas gift but its pretty much the same as the Sears one. It gets pretty damn loud if the plastic cover is on or off. I keep mine off to let it breath better. It does the job for the weekend worker. The only bad thing is I can't have the compressor + the heater + the lights on or else it trip the breaker. Having one socket in the whole garage sucks. If I were you I would run 2 services out there or even 3. 2 120s and a 240 just incase you upgrade the compressor or decide on getting a good welder.

ricmcusa
02-21-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't know if they still sell them,But I bought a 6.5 60 gallon 220 volt upright coleman at T.S.C. 7 years ago. The bigger you buy the less it will work. Paid 400.00 back then. I have had zero problems out of it. It runs my die grinder with no problems. That is the most demanding tool I have. The smaller it is the more it will run.

Black Hole
02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm planning on picking up that 30 gallon Craftsman compressor by summer.....I don't have the need for daily or even weekly use for anything larger, but when I do use my dad's 12 gallon compressor, it's running non-stop. :(

92coupe
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't know if they still sell them,But I bought a 6.5 60 gallon 220 volt upright coleman at T.S.C. 7 years ago. The bigger you buy the less it will work. Paid 400.00 back then. I have had zero problems out of it. It runs my die grinder with no problems. That is the most demanding tool I have. The smaller it is the more it will run.

That's what i have and it works awesome!:bigthumb

Jeff88coupe
02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
For a 120v compressor..the craftsmans work pretty good for the shadetree mechanic. My dad has a 30gal 5hp one....still works good after 6-7 years. It runs a impact/ratchet just fine. For the money that are a good choice.

mach_u
02-21-2007, 10:53 PM
I have a 30 gallon sears unit and it's worked great for the last couple of years. Does every I need it to. Couldn't beat the price either! The hose that came with it was crap though. Plastic junk that busted the first time I used it.

Buckeye
02-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Go by these 2 rules and you will be happy
1. Don't buy oil-less as they are loud as fuck!!
2 Buy the biggest thing you can afford, Da's sand blasters and impacts EAT air volume.

Get the biggest tank you can find and if you can afford it any possable way get a 2 stage pump. Then Change the oil in the pump every couple months and drain the air tank once a week and it will last you just about forever.

Ow and TSC is a real good place to look as well as the
Auto paint store

Timido
02-22-2007, 03:08 AM
+1 on the dont by an oil-free they are way loud.
I have the Craftsman 30gal 6hp Black 2 cylinder single stage it was about $380 it recovers quick and it is very quiet. It can be wired to 220/240 Anything bigger than that would need 220/240

5.0calypso93lx
02-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I think Kevin has one that will fit my needs nicely.