PDA

View Full Version : A Good Horse

'92Stang
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Today was the most miserable day of my life, with the exception of burying my Mom, and Dad. My 30 y.o. Palamino mare had to be put down this afternoon. She had pnemonia<sp?>, and developed colic. Which caused her stomach to turn. Her name was Katie, and she was a good horse. I rescued Katie 15 years ago. She was blind in one eye, and extremely arthritic. Through alot of T.L.C. we were able to get her arthritis under control, and she turned out to be a great horse for smaller riders/kids, and was ridden weekly for 12 years by my nieces, nephews, and friends kids. About 3 years ago she started stumbling on trail rides with kids onboard, so we just had her out to pasture with the other horses enjoying her retirement. Don't think for one minute you were going on a trail ride without Katie though. Many times we would cut through the pasture to get to the trails, and here would come Katie nipping at the stirrups, and saddle trying to get you off the other horses back cause she was jealous. So we would open the gate for her so she could follow us on our trail rides, which she loved.....I know this has nothing to do with our beloved Mustangs of 4 wheel variety. But I've seen horses bring out the best in everyone who has come into contact with them. They are an unselfish breed. I also would like to thank Matt(93lincolnmk8), and his dad Mark for burying her for me this evening. R.I.P. Katie

Black Horse
02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss - 30 years is quite a feat for horses, glad you could have such a fine mare in your life for as long as she was. There is never an easy way to deal with this, all you can do is rest on your fond memories.

92coupe
02-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Sorry for your Loss, They grow to become part of the family. I grew up with thourobred horses my grandfather was an owner /trainer and raced them for many years. I know how you feel.

bobtsgt
02-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Damn Mike thats really bad. Sorry to hear that happen.

Stangman
02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
sorry to hear that Mike, my friend Josh (theloneranger) deals with horses and he took me to river downs once, it was neat. cool animals.

H82WRK
02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Thank you for sharing your story, that is funny about the trail rides.

I am sorry about losing your friend.

RI85GT
02-22-2007, 07:05 PM
:(

Sorry for your loss.

untamed
02-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. You and Lynn are good people for taking in strays and animals that others don't want. I'm glad that you have fond memories of her. Take care.:(

junk89lx
02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry for your loss. my family just recently got into horses and your are right they do bring out the best..really sorry to hear about your loss...

R825OH
02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
She led a good life it sounds like though , Thanks to you

Mr.Moontang
02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Sorry bro hang in there and remember the good times....