PDA

View Full Version : Ups...that's gonna leave a mark

Jeff88coupe
02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I found this post on another board..ouch. Was a nice '03 cobra

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6793/cobratb8.jpg
OOPS!!!

Basically what happened... me and the lube kid tried to lift up the blue van (06 freestar) on a regular frame contact hoist but couldn't because it was heavily modified for handicapped use - floor was lowered, driver's seat was gone, and the throttle and brake controls were all done by a single lever on the column.

Said lube kid goes and tries to move the van back to put it on the drive-on rack and the throttle stuck and he panicked, unable to easily apply the brakes with the hand control, and did a 180* loop and smacked the 03' cobra that was 2 hoists over. I give him credit, he did think enough to try throwing it in park, but the van just had too much momentum.

Thank god nobody was hurt - me and the other goofy front-end guy were standing directly in front of the mustang just as he started backing out.

Damage... van needs a liftgate and glass, bumper, and some bondo around the rear hatch. The mustang is a complete total, front and rear bumpers destroyed, slp exhaust is junk, and both pinch welds and the floor pan are destroyed.

bobtsgt
02-23-2007, 09:36 AM
oh wow. that is a big screw up. if their shop is anything like Beechmont Toyota then the kid will just get a warning for messing around. that still sucks though. That reminds me of when some woman brought her brand new Lexus into the shop for an oil change. The stoned lube tech took it in, did the oil change, pulled out of the garage, then decided it was fun to get the ass end to brake loose in the small parking lot and smashed into 4 brand new Rav 4s. And the kicker is the kid kept his job with no punishment.

PonymanfiveO
02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I would cry.

Gene
02-23-2007, 03:23 PM
oh wow. that is a big screw up. if their shop is anything like Beechmont Toyota then the kid will just get a warning for messing around. that still sucks though. That reminds me of when some woman brought her brand new Lexus into the shop for an oil change. The stoned lube tech took it in, did the oil change, pulled out of the garage, then decided it was fun to get the ass end to brake loose in the small parking lot and smashed into 4 brand new Rav 4s. And the kicker is the kid kept his job with no punishment.

In this kid's case, though, I can understand if he only gets a reprimand. It would be different if he was too stupid to drive a normal van, but I've looked at hand controls before, and I could imagine that they could be difficult to operate if you don't have prior experience...especially in one that didn't have a driver's seat either.

Yeah, it sucks, but that's what insurance is for.

Badfbdy
02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I am glad my dad bought the drive up lift, for that reason.

Mr.Moontang
02-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I ve seen that happen before...well the car falling off the lift part of it....

NXcoupe
02-24-2007, 02:00 PM
OOOPS! My brother in law's jeep fell off a rack at Castrucci years ago. They didn't tell him until he got tired of waiting for them to finish it, and showed up to find his jeep in the body shop!

Silver Bullet
02-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Can you say.... Give me a new car please! lol