PDA

View Full Version : Mass Air

Nfamus
02-23-2007, 12:55 PM
I have been reading some articles about converting from speed density to mass air. Just wondering what everybody thought about this subject.

ibstrokin
02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
It depends on what you want to do with your car. If you want to swap cam,inj, heads, int., then a mass air system is much more adjustable. If your only going to do a couple of minor bolt ons (roller rockers,headers, pulleys) then you dont need to.

Nfamus
02-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Im thinking of a supercharger or putting complete Trick Flow top end kit on it.

ibstrokin
02-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Mass air would be mandatory

Nfamus
02-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Know where i can get a conversion for my 86 GT?

ibstrokin
02-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Send a pm to platedturbonotc, I think he has a harness and computer out of a 89. You want a harness from an 89 only, the 90-93 harnesses are different, and wont work in a 86-88 mustang. I think he wanted $200 for both, which is a fair price. You will also need a mass air meter, mass air elbow and a different filter(unless you can get the peice from the panel filter to the mass air meter). When you put on the s/c you will need a different meter and bigger injectors,also bigger fuel pump. Be careful on cam selection, 86 engines don't have valve releifs. You will probably have piston to valve clearane problems If you add bigger valves and/or bigger cam.

You would probably be better off to build another engine and do a complete swap.

5.0calypso93lx
02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a stock mass air meter I would be willing to part with.

NXcoupe
02-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Using an 89 harness and A9L computer is the best way to do it. Ford makes a kit that converts it over, but overlooks some other connections that are needed. PMAS makes a kit that comes with a hp mass air and harness. I would just wait till you get your blower and do it then, so you buy your mass air once. Just my .02 worth.

JonS
03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
All you really need to do the conversion is
1. Mass air computer from an 89-93
2. Rubber hoses to connect TB to MAF and MAF to airbox
3. Wiring Harness that goes from the computer to the MAF
4 The mass air meter itself

Mass air cars also have a VSS(Vehicle speed sensor) and the harnesses from those cars had wires for that, but I didn't hook one up and have had no problems.

There used to be a company that sold the harness. I believe they were called interactive technologies.