PDA

View Full Version : EGR delete

e5shea
02-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Is this worth anything?

All the reading I've done kind of leans towards doing nothing except costing you some MPG. To my understanding from other boards is that the EGR (i assume is exhaust gas return) does not function at WOT anyway, so there isn't really any purpose except to "clean" out the engine bay. Doesn't this thing function as a scavenging device to maximize fuel usage?

I've also gathered that it connects somewhere on the headers. Do the MAC long tubes have a place to hook this up?

If I deleted, wouldn't be wise to fill that hole in the plenum with some epoxy and then sand it down, so that it doesn't disturb airflow too much?

IWRBB
02-24-2007, 11:02 AM
EGR lowers cylinder temps under during normal drving by taking some of the exhaust gases that are inert (already burned the 02) and putting them back into the intake. The main reason they do it is to prevent NOX gases from forming. A side benefit is the lower cylinder temps and resulting detonation resistance.

I'd guess well over half of the people out there think there's no way it could cool the cylinder by putting hot exhaust into the intake, but it does.

Most headers for your car will come with a bung for EGR. You can just cap it if you remove the EGR. You'll need a block off plate on the engine too. I'd say cleaning up the engine bay is there only real benefit of taking it off- assuming it still works and isn't caked with carbon throwing CELs left and right. Taking it off will do nothing at WOT though.