PDA

View Full Version : Low Rent Tire Stores

Black Horse
02-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Can't anyone fix anything anymore? WTF? I spend a few hours going to 3 seperate well noted tire stores trying to get my front tractor tires fixed. The conversation was nearly identical at each store, here is what finally transpired at the last store:

Me: "Hi, I need to get these tires fixed"
Desk guy: "What's wrong with them"
Me: "They're flat" (wow these guys are right on the ball!)
Desk guy: "Oh, I see. We don't sell tractor tires"
Me: "I don't need tires, I need the tube patched or replaced"
Desk guy: "How do you know the tube is bad?" (real bright guy here)
Me: "Well, when I put air in, it all leaks back out, and the tube that is in it is rather limp"
Them: "Hmmm" ~turning head~ "Hey Charlie, do we fix tubes here?"
Voice from rear of store: "No we don't fix tubes - he'll have to buy a tire"
Desk guy: "We don't mess with tubes, you'll have to buy a new tire"
Me: "I thought you didn't sell tractor tires?"
Desk guy: "Are they for the font or rear"
Me: (holding up the tire for him to see) "Fronts, the rears have the big lugs, and besides I can't pick them up and carry them in here like this"
Desk guy: "Do you need the rears fixed too"
Me: "Nope, they are fine, I thought you didn't fix tube tires"
Desk guy: "We don't"
Me: "How much are your replacement tires?" (thinking what the heck, I should just replace them and go tubless anyway)
Desk guy: "We don't sell tractor tires"
Me: "Just what do you do here?"
Desk guy: "We sell car and truck tires"
Me: "Can you order a replacement tube and just change it?"
Desk guy: (once again turning head) "Hey Charlie, can we get tubes for tires?"
Voice from rear of shop: "Maybe, we'll have to call the supplier Monday"
Desk guy: "I don't think we can get you anything today, but we can order them Monday"
Me: "I think Tractor Supply sells tubes, if I bring the tubes up here can you put them in?"
Desk guy: "Sure, no problem, but we can't be responsible for them"
Me: "I don't care, I run over so many damn thorns a year the tube wont last over a year anyway - I'll be right back"

So I leave the wheels sitting in the showroom and run down to TSC, grab up some tubes and haul ass back.

Me: "Hey, I have the tubes"
Desk guy: "For what?"
Me: "Those tractor tires we were taking about 30 minutes ago"
Desk guy: "OH...yeah...where are the wheels and tires?"
Me: "They were right here leaning against your desk, where did you put them"
Desk guy: (turning head) "Hey Frank, what did you do to those wheels that were up here?"
Voice from out in the bay area somewhere: "Those tractor tires? I put them by the changer"
Desk guy: "Give me the tubes, I'll get it started for you"

I think to myself that finally I am getting somewhere, maybe I'll even get back home and get the tires back on the tractor before dark. I settle in to catch up on the automotive facts in the Car and Driver magazines from 1984.
30 minutes later:

Desk guy: (finally walking 8 feet from the desk) "Hey, we can't fix your tires"
Me: "What?"
Desk guy: " We can't fix them, can't get them off the rim"
Me: "You are kidding me - can I talk to your tech?"
Desk guy: "Sure - go see Frank over there"

I walk across the dark bay area, Frank is sitting on a stack of tires eating his Baloney sandwich, leaving hand prints on the white bread.

Me: "Hi Frank, I understand you can't get the tires off the rims on those tractor tires:
Frank: "Yeah, your wheel won't fit on the tire machine"
Me: "Huh?"
Frank: "I don't have an adapter that will fit in the hub diameter - can't break the tire down"
Me: "Can we break them down by hand"
Frank: "Huh? Do what?"
Me: "Do you have a tire spoon, maybe we can get it off the rim by hand"
Frank: "Tire spoon?"

It was at this point that I knew it was hopeless. Doesn't anyone know how to change a tire by hand? The Desk guy watched as I rolled the wheel out through the showroom, out the door and put them back in my truck. I walked back in to get my tubes.

Desk guy: "You paying by cash, check or Credit?"
Me: "Huh? Pay for what?"
Desk guy: "The time we spent working on your tires, I told you we couldn't be responsible for fixing them"
Me: "That's funny, all you guys did was roll them around, maybe you should just charge me for tire rotation then"
(Laughter from the folks in the showroom)
Me: "I'm sorry, I don't feel obligated to pay someone for not doing anything"

With that I turned and left, I knew he wasn't going to chase me more than 10 feet from the desk anyway.

I came home, took and old piece of leaf spring, heated it up and fashioned myself a makeshift tire spoon, and changed the tubes myself in the driveway.
I spent less time making the tool and changing the tubes then I spent driving around and arguing with the goofball tire folks! The art of tire repair has been lost, I am saddened by the whole days events. Bicycle manufactures must be in heaven knowing that when a tire goes flat people will be buying new bicycles.

orangedemon331
02-24-2007, 04:25 PM
There is not a day goes by that I dont find a person more stupid than the one I found the day before!! (and I thought yesterday I had met the stupidest one.....yea right):bigthumb

RI85GT
02-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Great write.... and I concur

HRSEPWR
02-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Have you guys ever seen a movie called "idiocracy"? It is kinda funny but at the same time scary because there are so many people in this world that are just about at the level of stupidity that is in this movie.... Our future is doomed if these low rents keep reproducing.... :flipoff:

Xuzhu
02-24-2007, 08:12 PM
It's got electrolytes and shit!

PaulFiveOh
02-24-2007, 08:32 PM
It's got electrolytes and shit!

ROFL :lol:

bobtsgt
02-24-2007, 09:01 PM
wow Dave that is some major BS right there. Most tire changers should be able to grab the rim on the inside with no problem.

Blackout
03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
You don't know dumb people until you work at GM. There engineers are like half ass backwords and then spend many ours wondering why things don't work.

Pops Fun
03-03-2007, 11:21 AM
:lol: Sorry Dave, it is just so funny....... Sorry about your luck. :lol:

Pops

Timido
03-03-2007, 11:24 AM
What tire store did you go to?

plated
03-03-2007, 11:29 AM
i was driving back from cincy speed friday when i got this violent shake from my truck so i quickly pull over check the wheels in the rear,ahhh 1 lugnut holding the 22 inch wheel on:mad: fuckin tire discounters on beechmont:rolleyes: put tires on the truck a month ago,need i say more???that could have been a really bad outcome.don't put your life into someone elses hands:HYF: .then my tire arn don't fit my custom wheels:HYF: call 8no4cyl he comes out to 71 and brings sockets and etc.. got me on the road again.this is friday on 71 in 5ok rush hr:HYF: :HYF: :HYF: :HYF: :HYF: :HYF:

PonymanfiveO
03-03-2007, 12:55 PM
damn man.

Mista Bone
03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Two piece rims........

"Uhn we can't get the tire over the bead"

"unbolt the rim"

"it's not bolted to anything"

"unbolt the rims 1/2's and seperate"

"it's not bolted to anything I said"

"Your head isn't either....."

BigBadStang
03-03-2007, 01:12 PM
should have went to a "real" tire shop...
one that does heavy commercial truck tires.
those boys still swing tire sledges and can fix just about any tire/tube.
the car tire STORES of today, are just that...a store. if it doesnt come off the shelf or out of a box they are lost.

Paul408Notch
03-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Point a: Idiocracy was fucking funny.

Point b: Dave, do they sell "slime" anywhere there? I have slime brand tubes on my mountain bike, and have yet to get a flat from thorns while riding around the desert out here. I have 5-10 thorns I have to pick out of each tire when I get home, but the slime seals the holes right up and I never lose more than 2-3 psi of air through the whole ride.

Mavowar
03-03-2007, 09:36 PM
When you say "tractor tires" or are you saying tractor tires as in Lawn mower tires or Real tractor tires?

Aot of it has to with what area of town you took them to. City Shops do not like to mess with Farm/Construction stuff as they are typically equipped for Passenger vehicle and Light truck Service.

I turn Bob Cat etc.... tires away. I can do them but the time involved(non stock items) and not equipped with the right tools its more of a distraction to overall shop productivity. If its a Long time customer I make exceptions and suffer. Same with service to Large Commercial Trucks. A good manager knows when to say when based on Employee skill level, proper tools and a facility with proper space and equipment,and time per profit. It's called management for a reason.:D

Lawn tires should be handled by any shop. I have a rule with those as well. Drop them off and I will call you when were done. If your in that big of a hurry then go else where or do them yourself.Tubes are non existant as stocked items in most shops these days. Long live the Radial Tubeless tire:bigthumb

The difference is I explain this to the customer up front and let them make the decision as to how it gets handled.

tim c
03-04-2007, 12:54 AM
did u get it fixed if not pm me i can help

IWRBB
03-04-2007, 11:14 AM
i was driving back from cincy speed friday when i got this violent shake from my truck so i quickly pull over check the wheels in the rear,ahhh 1 lugnut holding the 22 inch wheel on:mad: fuckin tire discounters on beechmont:rolleyes: put tires on the truck a month ago,need i say more???that could have been a really bad outcome.don't put your life into someone elses hands

Hmmm, my brother ran a tire store for about 10 years in Columbus. He ALWAYS told customers with new aluminum rims to either re-torque the rims after 50 miles, or to bring it back in and they would do it. Heck, even Ford tells you to check the torque on stock aluminum rims after they are changed. TD should have told you the same thing- I have a feeling they didn't though.

TD :HYF:

MRGRIMM
03-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Mav o War summed it up pretty good, and honestly, most walk-ins with flat repairs and the like arent really that much of a concern to managers of these corporate chain stores (especially on busy days) because profit margins are the main concern and the fellow that wants 4 tires with an alignment is about the only guy that will get any respect from a store like that, I know because I work for a store like that. Stick to your local mom and pop's joint, a specialty place like BigBad said, or do it yourself for best results!

NXcoupe
03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
In Cinton County, most of the small mom and pop places are equipped to handle that sort of stuff. A lot of machines have minimum sizes they can clamp onto from either outside or inside grip. Good reading, though, great write up, I could picture the whole thing right down the the twenty year old magazines.