PDA

View Full Version : Removing lifters on 302 Carb motor

Andy
02-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for removing hydraulic lifters on a 302 carb motor w/ factory heads. I only need to replace the lifters in cylinders 5,6,7,8. I have stock heads which have the positive stop rocker arms, with fulcrum plates. I know the intake and valve covers come off. Do I need to have the engine at TDC. Do I remove the rocker arms and pushrods while engine is at TDC or do I have to rotate the engine until the rotor points to each cyclinder that i want to remove the rockers,pushrods and lifters from. Also the reverse when putting everything together do I just screw down the rocker arms (making sure the lifter is on the flat side of the cam lobe) or do i need a feeler gauge for the correct clearance.
Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Andy

RyanR
02-26-2007, 11:55 AM
take the intake manifold off and unbolt the rockers to the lifters that need to be replaced. the push rod should slide out and you will then be able to remove the lifter after you unbolt the tray that holds them in. i dont think you will have to remove the head i think there ahould be enought room to slide the lifter out and the new one in.

Timido
02-26-2007, 12:18 PM
if they are hydraulic roller lifters you will have to remove the heads to pull the lifters.

91lxnos
02-26-2007, 12:38 PM
flat tappet all you have to do is remove intake

dedpedal
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I got my factory roller lifters out without removing the heads. All you should need to do is pull the intake and remove the rockers. no need to set the engine at tdc untill its time to reinstall the rockers. At that point, you will want the lifters on the base circle of the cam for each cyl as you go.

Andy
02-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Sounds good guys, from everything I have read it looks like when i get the intake off I should be able to remove the lifters with a telescoping magnet. I will find out more if they are roller or convetional hydraulic style when i tear into it.

Thanks for the help,

Andy

dedpedal
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
If they are roller, you wont even need a magnet, just take the 2 bolts off of the spider and then remove the dogbones that position the lifters and pull the lifters out by hand.

Timido
02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Maybe its just the aftermarket linkbar lifters you have to remove the heads???????

dedpedal
02-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Maybe its just the aftermarket linkbar lifters you have to remove the heads???????

That is correct as far as I know.

RyanR
03-02-2007, 12:52 PM
fixed?

Andy
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
fixed?

Not yet haven't had a chance to tear into it maybe this weekend or next.

Carl
03-02-2007, 10:05 PM

Yup, that is a true statement. I have the retro-rollers in my Windsor.