PDA

View Full Version : steering problems

Steves LX
02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
O.K. guys I am having serious steering issues and I give up now. I have replaced the ball joints out tie rods springs shocks power steering pump which is still noisy and the rack. I also put caster camber plates on and it was just aligned again this past Saturday. The car is very unpredictable. I amwhite knuckled anytime I get it out on 32 or the interstate because you just dont know when its going to decide to veer left or what its going to do. The steering just feels very loose. The steering wheel has a little bit of play in it but its not a whole lot and if you move the wheel left or right 1/2 inch or so you better be ready because you are changing lanes with the quickness. The steering has very little return and at times none on it after you make a turn. Also you can move the steering wheel up and down a little bit and side to side a little bit. It does have tilt steering. I figured thats why the play in moving up and down is from. I checked the 4 bolts holding the column in place to the bracket under the dash and they were all tight.I need some help on this if anyone can please. Something else that caught my eye was if you push in on the clutch that steering column and the brake (basically everything attached to the metal frame under the dash moves over to the right a little bit until you release the clutch pedal). That didn't seem right to me but I dont think that has any variance in what is going on otherwise.

bobtsgt
02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
did you check the rack, steering shaft rag joint, control arm bushings, rack bushings?

Ranger50
02-27-2007, 01:31 PM
What about the inner tie rods?

I bet the ball and socket is wore out causing the slob and unpredictable steering.

Brian

PS- the firewall is probably flexing a bit when you press the clutch in. The cable mounts over there on the right side. Don't forget the vertical bolt under the dash holding the "basket" in, it might be loose too.

Steves LX
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM
This is the 3rd rack I have put in the car in the past 3 months still no difference. I took the plastic molding pieces off around the tilt part of the steering column and when you push up on the wheel that tilt section moves I dont know if this is normal or not. I tried to locate some bolts around that area w/out having to pull all the wiring out but couln't find anything. But like I said as far as the rack goes the one thats in there now acts no differn't than the other 2. I think Smyth is tired of me returning racks to them. They all have been the same. I haven't replaced the shaft it is still the rag joint shaft. But will that shaft cause the problems I am having. All the bolts on iyt are tight.

Carl
02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Work on the the steering column, that is the only untouched item in your problem. Start at the steering wheel and work your way to the firewall making sure everything is tight. The bolt that most likely is suspect is on the side of the column holding the tilt wheel components together. Check it out and let us know.
And you are going to have to move the wiring around to get to all the bolts.

Ranger50
02-27-2007, 03:43 PM
This is a remanufactured rack right? or rebuilt? There is a difference.

mustangboy
02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
This may sound totally crazy but have you checked your rearend. You may want to make sure that you dont have any bushings that are severly damaged, including the ones in the housing for the upper control arms. Also check your torque boxes for rips, tears or damage. I would even inspect you rear end housing to make sure nothing is cracked. If for some reason something in the rear suspension is severly worn out or broken it may cause the rear to want to wander and make the car hard to control. Good luck.

92coupe
02-27-2007, 09:33 PM
This may sound totally crazy but have you checked your rearend. You may want to make sure that you dont have any bushings that are severly damaged, including the ones in the housing for the upper control arms. Also check your torque boxes for rips, tears or damage. I would even inspect you rear end housing to make sure nothing is cracked. If for some reason something in the rear suspension is severly worn out or broken it may cause the rear to want to wander and make the car hard to control. Good luck.

I had this problem with mine 3 yrs ago it turned out to be the rear control arms bushings. The Mac control arms bushings didnt hold up very long.

MFIELD
02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Post up your alignment specs. If you say it is real jumpy and darts around and doesnt return to strait after a turn then there is not enough caster in it.

Steves LX
02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
MY caster is maxed at 3 degrees. I have a appointment tomorrow morning at performance alignment in Blue Ash. He said he will charge me 45.00 to check it out and see whats going on with it.