PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about tinting my windows.

04comporangegt
02-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Couple questions if anyone knows. What is the darkest you can legally go? Are there any preffered shops in the cincinnati area? About how much would it cost for a 2004 mustang convertible? I think it will look good with the orange.

NXcoupe
02-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I think that Dedpedal does good work and he is on this board. Also blueoval4ever does great tint, but he is up in the Dayton area.

Black Hole
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
50% is legal in Ohio......although I've had 35%, 20%, and 15% without any trouble on every stang until my current one (just haven't had the time yet).

It all depends on the cop. I've seen State Troopers pull you over and cite for no front plate or for smoked covers on your tail lights or rear plate.

Cost is problably in the $140-200 range depending on the installer.

Bluecrew07
02-28-2007, 12:35 PM
i have limo on my quarter windows and the rest 20%

Jeff88coupe
02-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Yep..."Legal in OH is 50%"..but lots of people put on darker than that. PM dedpedal on here...he is a commercial window tinter..but does auto's on the side.

ADaughen
02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
50% on the front two doors, anything on the rear passenger windows and rear window.

I have 38% on the fronts and 28% on the rears. There is just enough difference in the shades and I haven't been bothered.

I got mine done at

Solar Shade
1673 E. State Route 73
Waynesville, OH 45068
Phone: 513-897-1364

It is a little north of Cinci, but they do good work and are the only guys in Ohio that do Formula1.

Before:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2155000-2155999/2155536_75_full.jpg

After:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2155000-2155999/2155536_76_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2155000-2155999/2155536_77_full.jpg

5.0calypso93lx
02-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Are those the MazdaSpeed Protege RH's?

I'm having Kevin do both the stang and the daily whenever I can get some extra cash.

DeckerEnt
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Talk to dedpedal. He does great work and if you go to his place, you will probably be in my shop while he tints it.
Keith

04comporangegt
02-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Cool. Thanks everyone.

04comporangegt
02-28-2007, 03:35 PM
About how long does it take? I have never got windows tinted before. Would you wait for it or drop it off?

OrangeStang04
02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
About how long does it take? I have never got windows tinted before. Would you wait for it or drop it off?

You can wait for it...it shouldn't take more than an hour or two

ADaughen
02-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Are those the MazdaSpeed Protege RH's?

You are correct. :bigthumb I'm taking off the 2.3s and have a Tribute "Black chrome package" to install in the spring. She's going to be one dark bling'n mofo.

The time will vary depending on who you have do it. If they have other cars to do at the same time...

Mista Bone
03-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Just remember, 50% INCLUDING the OEM tint, if OSP whats to be pricks 50% tint on top of OEM tint will fail and you'll have to peal it off.

DeckerEnt
03-01-2007, 02:17 AM
PM Dedpedal. He knows all as far as tint goes. He has done all my cars and work trucks so far.
Keith

04comporangegt
03-01-2007, 07:52 AM
The tint is going to have to wait. I just got a loud knock in my motor last night.

02mingryGT
03-01-2007, 08:06 AM
The tint is going to have to wait. I just got a loud knock in my motor last night.

Wow....that sucks. Did it stay or go away? Drop a quart of oil out of it and give it a look see. Mine knocked a couple of times before I figured out it spun a rod bearing. Good Luck.

On the tint issue, I had mine done by Spades Customs. They did great work and it was I think 140.00. But if you can get by using someone on the board go that route. Mine is 20% and I've never been pulled over for it.....knock on wood.

04comporangegt
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
It is still there. It is in my garage waiting to be torn into. Weekend project. Hopefully it is a broken rocker or something more simple on top. It sounds like it is in the valve train. Car shut off until it cooled down then it ran again but still knocked. I have a oil pressure gauge and it read normal so I can hope for something up top.

02mingryGT
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah hopefully. Good luck. What we're you doing when it happened? Did it over rev?

04comporangegt
03-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I had just put on all of the safety stuff for my nitrous and went to make sure it all worked. It worked fine through 3rd gear, then I heard the noise start and the car died. I have run the nitrous through it before with no problems shifting at the same point I set the rpm switch to turn off the nitrous so I don't know why it happened with all the saftey devices on.

dedpedal
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Hope it isnt too bad of damage. Get with me when you get ready. I usualy charge 125$ for a stang and use high quality Llumar film. Ill check on ohio law soon to be certain, but its my understanding at this point that 35% on doors and darker on the rear.

blueoval4ever
03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey, if you do decide to do the tint later on, keep in mind you don't have to pay the big bucks some of the flashy name brand shops are charging to get a high quality tint job. Just my 2 cents, I use the same lifetime warranty films the other shops are using and have been doing this for a very long time. Good luck with it where ever you decide to have it done. Hey dedpedal, they kept the 50% +/- 3% on the doors and any shade on the rear as long as you have a passenger side mirror??? what car doesn't these days?

dedpedal
03-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey, if you do decide to do the tint later on, keep in mind you don't have to pay the big bucks some of the flashy name brand shops are charging to get a high quality tint job. Just my 2 cents, I use the same lifetime warranty films the other shops are using and have been doing this for a very long time. Good luck with it where ever you decide to have it done. Hey dedpedal, they kept the 50% +/- 3% on the doors and any shade on the rear as long as you have a passenger side mirror??? what car doesn't these days?
Theres allways "interprtation" of the laws. I dont know of anyone who has had issues with the police for 35% tho.

blueoval4ever
03-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Theres allways "interprtation" of the laws. I dont know of anyone who has had issues with the police for 35% tho.
Yeah, every cop is different. I've had people come back that got a ticket because the 50% we put on read 46% on the meter.:HYF:

Black Hole
03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah, every cop is different. I've had people come back that got a ticket because the 50% we put on read 46% on the meter.:HYF:
The percentage is the amount of light that is allowed through the tint & window.

Ohio law states that 50% of the light my be allowed to transfer through......so if it read 46%, then it only allowed 46% of the light to transfer so yes, technically it is illegal.

To clarify, most people speak incorrectly when talking about window tint (and I think Kevin can back me up here).

"80% tint" is really 20% tint as it allows approximately 20% of the light to transfer.

You also have to understand that normal car windows are already "tinted" when they are made at the factory to help prevent the harmful rays from the sun to enter the vehicle....even these "clear" windows can still block up to 15% of the sun as it enters the vehicle, so if you add a 50% tint, you're really about 65% blockage or a 35% net "tint".

dedpedal
03-01-2007, 12:02 PM
The percentage is the amount of light that is allowed through the tint & window.

Ohio law states that 50% of the light my be allowed to transfer through......so if it read 46%, then it only allowed 46% of the light to transfer so yes, technically it is illegal.

To clarify, most people speak incorrectly when talking about window tint (and I think Kevin can back me up here).

"80% tint" is really 20% tint as it allows approximately 20% of the light to transfer.

You also have to understand that normal car windows are already "tinted" when they are made at the factory to help prevent the harmful rays from the sun to enter the vehicle....even these "clear" windows can still block up to 15% of the sun as it enters the vehicle, so if you add a 50% tint, you're really about 65% blockage or a 35% net "tint".

Thats pretty close to correct Matt. The mistake is that it doesnt add up that way. If the window blocks 15% of light, that leaves it transmitting 85%. If you put 50% tint on that, youre blocking 50% of the 85% that the window allows. So it skews the numbers just a bit but you have the right idea.

BigBadStang
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
well said...it depends on the cop. bumper chasers (troopers) are the worst. i had a pickup truck that had 20 on the doors...got busted by a trooper. put 35 on...got busted by a trooper. put 50 on and got harassed again, but it passed the meter. each ticket was $75.00 and it showed up on my MVR as "equipment misuse" not a good thing to have show up when you have a CDL. try explaining that to the safety director! equipment misuse is usually used to describe an overwieght infraction.
if you want to chance it, put whatever on, but if you get popped, it'll cost ya, and if you dont scrape it off and he sees ya again, you will be popped.
i guess it just depends on if you like scraping tint off. the film comes off easy...the glue however SUCKS!

blueoval4ever
03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
No reason to explain the tint laws to me, I'm fully aware of what is legal and what is not, I merely pointed out that people have put 50% on thinking they were legal and got a ticket because it was 1% off. Plenty of people drive around with darker than legal film on their cars for many years without any hassle and if you ask 20 officers around here about the tint laws you will get 20 different answers, that's unfortunate but it's a fact. The IWFA and our film suppliers keep us pretty well informed about tint laws and tint law changes and possible changes.
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/auto_statelaws.html

You also have to understand that normal car windows are already "tinted" when they are made at the factory to help prevent the harmful rays from the sun to enter the vehicle....even these "clear" windows can still block up to 15% of the sun as it enters the vehicle, so if you add a 50% tint, you're really about 65% blockage or a 35% net "tint".you forgot the +or- 3%

blueoval4ever
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Oh yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me, next time I order film I'll have a better idea of what I'll be getting in the mail instead of guessing for another 16 years.:tard:

Black Hole
03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Oh yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me, next time I order film I'll have a better idea of what I'll be getting in the mail instead of guessing for another 16 years.:tard:
No reason to be an ass....I didn't realize that you were a pro and I was just responding to the post that I quoted above....which I may have mis-read. :rolleyes:

I read it as the poster was somone who didn't know better, complaining about having "50% tint" on their windows and then getting cited for "46%" when the law is 50%...you get what I'm sayin? :o

After re-reading, I didn't mean to correct you.....I agree with you.

blueoval4ever
03-01-2007, 02:09 PM
No reason to be an ass....I didn't realize that you were a pro and I was just responding to the post that I quoted above....which I may have mis-read. :rolleyes:

I read it as the poster was somone who didn't know better complaining about having "50% tint" on their windows and then getting cited for "46%" when the law is 50%... :o

Sometimes it's easy to get rubbed the wrong way on a message forum, happens all the time I suppose. Otherwise this site wouldn't have a whippin room:coo1:

04comporangegt
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
When I get her all fixed up I will let you know dedpedal. I am still wanting to do it Ijust might not be able to afford it right away now. Thanks for all the info though.