PDA

View Full Version : Broken Key In Ignition

Ryan218
02-28-2007, 08:05 PM
i went out to start my car for my buddy after school....he had not seen the car yet and wanted to check it out..so i started it and we talked for a few..then i went to turn it off....and shut it off and went to pull the key out and snap :mad: ive tried pulling the broken piece out but i cant get a grip on it with anything to pull it out.......

wtf do i do?..........ive tried pulling the whole assembly out but it wont budge....

Ranger50
02-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Rotate the cylinder to the RUN position. On the BOTTOM of the column that holds the cylinder in, you should find a small hole just big enough to stick a thin screwdriver into. Push the screwdriver up and pull the cylinder out. Mind you, the car is ON, so the battery is draining with each passing moment. You should be able to work with the cylinder a bit easier out of the car. Use either the small screwdriver to pry it out, needle nose pliers, tweezers, something small. Hell, even bang it against a metal work table....

HTH.

Ryan218
02-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Rotate the cylinder to the RUN position. On the BOTTOM of the column that holds the cylinder in, you should find a small hole just big enough to stick a thin screwdriver into. Push the screwdriver up and pull the cylinder out. Mind you, the car is ON, so the battery is draining with each passing moment. You should be able to work with the cylinder a bit easier out of the car. Use either the small screwdriver to pry it out, needle nose pliers, tweezers, something small. Hell, even bang it against a metal work table....

HTH.

how many connections is there going to be?

i just plan to put a new ignition in so just pull the old one out and put a new one in?

i should i mentioned this in the first post...this is on my SuperCoupe..not the stang.

Walter
02-28-2007, 09:55 PM
there shouldnt be any connections, the whole assy will pull out.

Ranger50
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
No electrical connections, it's all mechanical.

Yes.

Shouldn't matter.

Brian

Timido
02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
When you get it you are not replaceing the ignition switch You are replacing the "Ignition Tumbler" Like brian said you can release the old tumbler by pushing the pin up when the ignition is in RUN. Insert the new Tumbler and key in and then you can turn it back to off and then you are done.

Good luck!

latamud
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Just curious, can all this be done with the battery disconnected so the car isn't running?

Timido
02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Just curious, can all this be done with the battery disconnected so the car isn't running?

Yes you can

02mingryGT
03-01-2007, 08:10 AM

Nominated for SMART post of the day.

bobtsgt
03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I use a small saw blade. It looks like a hack saw blade but way smaller. Its slim enough to get in there and fish out the broken key. I think its called a copeing saw blade but I'm not sure.

Ryan218
03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I use a small saw blade. It looks like a hack saw blade but way smaller. Its slim enough to get in there and fish out the broken key. I think its called a copeing saw blade but I'm not sure.

yeah i tried this..all i manged to do is cut my finger :HYF:

Black Horse
03-01-2007, 06:27 PM
I have managed to extract a broken key with a magnet - it takes paitience. Pulling the tumbler is probably your best bet.

Ryan218
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I have managed to extract a broken key with a magnet - it takes paitience. Pulling the tumbler is probably your best bet.

i thought the keys were made of of brass?

Black Horse
03-01-2007, 07:27 PM
i thought the keys were made of of brass?

I never thought about the car key - I'll bet you are right - I used a magnet to extract a broken key from my work desk - it was definately steel.

Here let me get that for you :HYF: :bigthumb

Stangman
03-02-2007, 12:16 AM
just pull the beeyotch out with a slidehammer!!! gone in 60 seconds style!!

RI85GT
03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I have removed them with Dentist tools...but removing the tumbler assembly is easier and faster

Ryan218
03-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i just got a new ignition....7 bucks..and works like new... also got me some new turn signal lens, weather striping...for a grand total of 25 bucks...junkyards are great...they had one 88 5.0...that looked like it had went though a demo derby...roof was caved in from beening rolled the engine was sitting in the passenger seat and the rear end was halfway into the rear seat....who ever was driving that car my guess is he/she is dead.....went to pick and pull.

Timido
03-02-2007, 07:42 PM
just pull the beeyotch out with a slidehammer!!! gone in 60 seconds style!!

Thats how I did the ones that didnt cooperate when I worked at the dealer.

Ranger50
03-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Thats how I did the ones that didnt cooperate when I worked at the dealer.

:eek: :lol: :eek:

Carl
03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
So Tims real life is now coming out...:lol:

Timido
03-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I have allways been an Angel!