PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Gabbard has passed away.

Byrd Man
03-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Ralph Gabbard owner of Mt. Orab Ford and Mercury passed. Ralph has raced since the 50's and knew racing as well if not better than anyone. He especially always knew what his car would do in any condition. My buddy Geoff and me always helped Ralph at the track. We would go to the dealership. Ralph would give us the keys to usually a new truck. Hook up the trailer and head to the track and get the car ready for when Ralph would arrive. In the past year it was pretty much Geoff helping and I would work on my own car. Everytime at the track Ralph would rattle of numbers so fast and disecting the quarter mile. One pass at a time in his full tube chassis Fox bodied GT. At times he would talk about his crashes. Racing in West Virginia and the car taking off like a jet and clipping trees at 100' in the air. Or the time the car fliiped upside down on the big end, in the air, upside down, and watching the other car come right at him and yet they missed. Ralph's car landed on it's roof just after the other car passed, but so close. In December he was so excited when I went to the dealership. Wanting to know everything about our Cobra and planning trips down South until warmer weather got here. He was like a little kid, so joyful that day. I wish he could have seen our car. I know he would have enjoyed it.

Five months ago Ralph thought he had a ear ache. That's what the Doctors told him. Mulitple time he would go back and the Doctors kept prescribing him medine to cure his ear ache. He had good days and bad days. But as time went on more bad days than good. Doctors kept dignosing the same thing even as it got worse. Ralph was getting dizzy and losing his balance. He would fill sick. Yet the Doctors never gave him a CT scan. A month ago he went to Florida and got very sick and the sickness got the better of Ralph. Jeane his loving wife who always went to the track, Got Ralph to the hospital back in Cincinnati. He was in and out of several hospitals with none able to find out what was wrong with Ralph until the end of last week. Ralph was digonsed with "Jacobs Disease" or Mad -Cow Disease. Yesterday morning @ 1:oo A.M. the world lost another great man, great sportsman and great racer. Ralph was a older gentleman. But he was as big of a Mustang enthusiast as any of us. It turned him back in time and you could tell by listening to him talk. Ralph and I have talked a few times about having a Ford / Mustang raceday this year for all of us to go have fun. I wish he had more time to make it happen. Seeing the joy in his face and excitment in his voice talking about a all Mustang race was motivation for me.

Godspeed Ralph Gabbard.

331TwistedWedge
03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
sorry for the loss ... i met him years back when i was a 20 something year old kid, a wonderful guy ...

mustang8998
03-02-2007, 09:01 PM
God speed Ralph.

Thoughts and prayers, to freinds and family.

:angel:

stroked4eyes
03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Did he have a red GT that he sometimes raced at Tri-state?

Rob
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
The world has lost another great man,
May God be with his family,
God speed Ralph,
Go tear up the 1320' above.
Rest in peace

Mavowar
03-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Sorry for your/his family loss. The old racers are slowly disappearing. I used to hate my dads stories about street racing and drag racing at all the tracks within range. Now I hang on to every word. That kind of expierence just doesn't exist these days. Racing is purley commercial at this point and street racing is very hard to get away with and just plain unsafe due to heavy traffic. Very few aftermarkket parts, just innovative guys trying whatever they could dream up to go faster.

Black Horse
03-02-2007, 11:22 PM
So sad - he was a very kind person. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

nordi
03-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Did he have a red GT that he sometimes raced at Tri-state?

That was Ralph. He was a great man and will be missed by many. I've known the whole Gabbard family for a long time. My prayers are with them.

Nordi

LXEnvy1990
03-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Wow man that sucks! Sounds like he was a great guy. Wish i had met him.....
God speed. . .

Stangman
03-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Dang, that sucks, Never met Ralph but thats where I bought my car, and I always went to Mt. Orab Ford for Ford Racing parts, I remember seeing his tube frame big block fox in person, it was freakin sweet.

PonymanfiveO
03-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Sad to hear. I'll keep the family in my thoughts and prayers.

92coupe
03-03-2007, 02:57 AM
Thoughts and prayers to his family!

I seen his car at Tristate before on tnt very nice car.

92coupe
03-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Thoughts and prayers to his family!

I seen his car at Tristate before on tnt very nice car.

stroked4eyes
03-03-2007, 07:46 AM
That was Ralph. He was a great man and will be missed by many. I've known the whole Gabbard family for a long time. My prayers are with them.

Nordi

He was a nice guy...my dad and I talked to him on several occasions.

69Cobra
03-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I got a phone call yesterday from my dad to tell me the bad news. My dad and Ralph went back many years. I can remember the first time I meet him at the track. All I could think about was how does that big man get in that little car, but he did.
Godspeed Ralph:angel:

HARCracing
03-03-2007, 10:26 PM
My father in law Bob Hausermann new Ralph well. They raced together a while I guess. Sorry to see him go. Prayers and best wishes to his family and friends:angel:

firestang70
03-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Ralph was excited as I was when I ordered my 06 and when I got it. he was a good man. Prayers to a good family. he will be missed.