PDA

View Full Version : Clunking sound

blackvert
03-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm trying to figure out what this noise is and hopefully someone's experienced this before. My car is an 03 auto GT convertible.

I heard this clunk / thud from under my car sounding like the transmission area. When I accelerate everything is fine, but then when I let off the gas I hear this thud from the transmission or possibly even the rear end.

It happens intermittently, sometimes it is pretty loud, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. It only happens in first and second gear, possibly when downshifting.

Timido
03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
2 things I have seen driveshaft flange bolts that were loose that cause a clunk noise in the rearend. The last thing is some of the later transmissions actualy had a "Normal driveline clunk type noise" I think the 3650 had what the dealer would say is a Normal Driveline noise. Google search tremec 3650 and you will find all kinds of mad people who want to sue!!

blackvert
03-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I may try and look at the flange bolts, although honestly I'm not sure where they are. As far as the transmission goes, I have an automatic, so the tremac doesn't apply to me I think. Thanks for the help though.

latamud
03-04-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm thinking the u-joints or the rear end gears.

IWRBB
03-04-2007, 11:02 AM
It's probably the slip yoke on the driveshaft sticking on the output shaft. You'll need to drop the driveshaft and lube the DS yoke and tranny output shaft with the Ford PTFE grease, it's made just for that reason. Lots of F150s had that issue.

Timido
03-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Ford PTFE grease or Smurf poop~ justly named because it is a Blue paste!

92BlackStang
03-11-2007, 09:24 AM
could it be trans mount