PDA

View Full Version : need help ASAP

80 hate
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I replaced my IAC because my RPMs would surge and fall at idle. But now when i start my car the RPMs jump up to 2000 and stay there. What do I do? The install of the IAC was simple. I dont think I did it wrong. What could this be? Please any help would be great........Thanks Russ:confused:

plated
03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
did u plug it back in? make sure u put the gasket back on,sounds like a vacume leak.by the way don't clean it,pitch it in the trash and buy a new one if it's original

80 hate
03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
It is plugged in. But i can unplug it and it doesnt make any differance. I did buy a new one and put a new gasket on. The one i took off was factory and the new one was from auotzone. This is kickin my ass:confused:

8NO4CYL
03-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Put the original one back on. Maybe the Autozone one is bad.

plated
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
if u had your air intake off if it's a mass air car make sure all the clamps are tight,sounds like a vacume leak from somewhere? u didn't mess with anything else ? idle screw?

wild87stang
03-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Replace the tps ( Throttel position sensor ) i had the same problem whith my 87 it would surge up to high rpms once i replaced that never had a problem again!

80 hate
03-05-2007, 11:28 PM
I didnt mess with anything else. The car is a 94 GT...All i did was replace the IAC... I will try the TPS tomorrow. I even took the new one back and they gave me another one...Still the same problem...I tried disconnecting the battery for a few min. No luck Its got to be something simple.
I want to say thanks for all you guys given me some info...You guys ROCK

wild87stang
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah try the tps cause mine would surge up i could turn the car of and start it back up and it would be fine then a little ways down the road it start again then it got to where it would just do it all the time and stay at like 2000 rpm so i hopr that will fix it for you like it did me!

80 hate
03-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks buddy...If that fixes it you got a beer on me

wild87stang
03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Whats the update!

Paul408Notch
03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Unplug the IAC, and adjust the throttle screw closed to the point the car will barely idle, then plug the IAC back in. Your TPS shouldn't have gone bad just from putting a new IAC on.

Timido
03-06-2007, 06:49 PM
You might also try unpluging your negitive battery cable for a period of time (30min) So that the ecm power time times out and that will let you car relearn itself .

80 hate
03-07-2007, 12:32 AM
UPDATE>>>>> Bought a new TPS for the car and still did the same as before...So I call a buddy of mine. We looked at it agin and put the old one back on. Now the car idles fine but wants to die at stop lights like before. So I go to Advance parts and buy a new IAC(the 3rd). This time he give me a different one. It did not look like the from Autozone. This fixed the problem and the car runs fine now. Turns out the guy at Autozone sold me the wrong IAC(twice).....Live and learn...But ill never go back to Autozone for anything agin... Thanks for all the help guys....Turns out it was just a dumb ass who didnt know what he was doing

wild87stang
03-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Did you by chance use one of the autozones in middeltown lol they are horriable their ive really never had any problems out of the one in franklin lol glad you got her fixed though!

NXcoupe
03-07-2007, 09:39 AM
I have run into that as well with 93 and 94 cars, it seems their computer program thinks fox's and SN95's are the same car. I had to go up to a 95 and down to a 92 to get the right parts, but other stuff is fine??? I use Advance, seems their program is a little better, but still has problems. Just always take your old one in with you and match it up, experience has taught me that.

80 hate
03-07-2007, 03:12 PM
It was the Autozone in Middletown...The Advance in Lebanon gave me the right one.....

Reef Blue LX
03-31-2007, 08:23 PM
I had the same problem on a 91 cougar with a 3.8 v-6. I went and took one off another v-6 engine out of my cousins junk yard. It looke physically different but would still bolt up and plug in, but the car would not idle under 2000 rpms . I went and bought a new one at ky motors and it solved the problem.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-31-2007, 10:16 PM
I replaced the IAC on my Cherokee, and the very first time i started it up it would rev up to 2k or so but then fell back down. It only did it the first time.

Andy
04-01-2007, 09:08 AM
UPDATE>>>>> Bought a new TPS for the car and still did the same as before...So I call a buddy of mine. We looked at it agin and put the old one back on. Now the car idles fine but wants to die at stop lights like before. So I go to Advance parts and buy a new IAC(the 3rd). This time he give me a different one. It did not look like the from Autozone. This fixed the problem and the car runs fine now. Turns out the guy at Autozone sold me the wrong IAC(twice).....Live and learn...But ill never go back to Autozone for anything agin... Thanks for all the help guys....Turns out it was just a dumb ass who didnt know what he was doing

Yeah I've been burnt at Florence,KY Autozone a few times, don't ever by a double roller timing chain from them for 85-93 stangs cause it won't fit the sprockets. Hate those guys they suck!! There commercial cracks me up, couple of guys sitting around a camp fire dressed like preps saying how Autozone really saved them time and money. What a load of Bullshit:AR15:

ascCapri
04-01-2007, 09:26 AM
It was the Autozone in Middletown...The Advance in Lebanon gave me the right one.....

Is this the one off of Roosevelt in Middletown? If so, that is by far the worst establishment on the face of this earth. I have been there 10 times since I moved that way....each time I realize that despite being severely understaffed, everyone who works there seems :tard:

In any case, glad you figured it out.

80 hate
04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Thats the one!!!!!!!!!!!

ricmcusa
04-03-2007, 05:23 PM
If I have to buy from auto zone. I always look the part up on there website first. Write the part number down before I go to them. I swear I am waiting for one of there parts people to ask me if I want fries also.:lol: