PDA

View Full Version : Who owns their own business?

higgy87
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Just curious as too how many of you have ventured into the world of starting your own small business? Doesn't really matter what field, but I'd just like a little feedback, pros/cons, experiences etc...

I used to do lawncare/landscaping on my own several years ago, I really enjoyed it...nice not having a boss.

Now that I'm an educated man (thats arguable:rolleyes: ), I'm being drawn once again by my entrepreneur side and am considering starting something up on my own again...this time more seriously than last.

Whatcha got?

-higgy

331TwistedWedge
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Internet Sales

Cons:

its stressful ..... no insurance ...... no retirement ........ tons of hours .......

im going back to school, so i can get a good job working for "The Man" .......

Pros:

Outstanding Money $$$$ - no boss and or "The Man" ... flexibility of schedule and working in my boxers ........

blueoval4ever
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm oh so close to being on my own right now I can taste it. I've got about 2 weeks to go before I start moving into my shop and will start the transition process. I'd like to see what some small business owners have to say also.

Black Horse
03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
I wish the graphics business could stand on its own, not quite there. My long term goal is supplemental income after early retirement. I like doing it too much to go full time with it - like the saying goes, don't marry your mistress!

Good news with your own business, you are in charge - bad news is you are at risk.

TheGirlfriend
03-07-2007, 10:59 PM
I own a hair salon with a friend. It's great! But, I also work behind the chair. I make my own hours, it's a somewhat cash business so the IRS doesn't know exactly what I make, hopefully none of you work for the IRS, I have insurance through my husband's work, so I don't have to worry about that, and I get to make other people feel great about themselves! I love being my own boss! The only thing that stinks is that I feel like I'm a babysitter to my employees sometimes. But the pros definitely outway the cons.

95redstang
03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
My wife is trying to get a resteraunt rolling right now...It's a pain in the ass...She is working with a commercial loan company right now...I think once she gets past all the headaches of getting it started she will be sucessful.. It seems as if you are middle eastern or mexican you have an easier time of getting a loan to start a bussiness...There are 300 different mexican resteraunts up and down rt 4 here in Fairfield...Just curious where in the hell they go their money to start some of these places....Other than that I think owning your own buss. could be cool...You are your own boss...

higgy87
03-07-2007, 11:16 PM
BlueOval4Ever - What kind of business are you getting into? If you don't mind me asking...unless its a coverup for a large scale dope operation :cool1:

BlackHorse - I used to do lawn work for a guy in Loveland who does something similar to what youre doing, Larry Hoppe Signs. He's old as balls now but he's been doing this for like 20+ years and is kickin ass!

Kelly Pelrine
03-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Cons:

its stressful ..... no insurance ...... no retirement ........ tons of hours .......

Pros:

Outstanding Money $$$$ - no boss and or "The Man" ... flexibility of schedule and working in my boxers ........

Pretty much hit the nail on the head here, except i havent seen the outstanding money and i work in my pj pants lol. Ive had a photography & graphics business for 5 going on 6 years now, plus started up the OSM last year. Hopefully this year is THE year :)

blueoval4ever
03-07-2007, 11:49 PM
BlueOval4Ever - What kind of business are you getting into? If you don't mind me asking...unless its a coverup for a large scale dope operation :cool1:

Window tinting, detailing, alarms, remote starts. I've been doing this stuff forever it seems like, now the time has come that I make all the profit and not somebody else.

TheGirlfriend
03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
How did this thread go from business owners to Match Matchers Inc.?

331TwistedWedge
03-08-2007, 12:25 AM
How did this thread go from business owners to Match Matchers Inc.?

i dont know ;) ... sorry ... blame yougotjunk & 95redstang ... :D ... maybe put them in the whipping room together, i think they would enjoy that ...

YouGotJunk
03-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Moderator please delete all posts not concerning owning a business. There's a new thread to carry on what was started here!!

Thanks
YouGotJunk!!

Black Horse
03-08-2007, 12:43 AM
As requested - saved it by a narrow margin from the whipping room - as you were!

Black92LX
03-08-2007, 01:38 AM
getting ready to possibly start a little venture myself.

cin_mustang
03-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Well my hubby owns a small high performance garage, mostly I think just for tax deductions for my toy and runs a junkyard plus is still working his full time job. I can tell you that it is stressful. He has NO time for anything. He gets phone calls all the time, everyday and always seems to be "on call". Yes you don't have a boss but you still are working for the "man". It's just that the man are your customers. I think after one huge failed attempt at running our own business (we had two quick lubes a couple of years ago and lost everything), we've learned alot and I think the junkyard is going to be our saving grace. It's gonna take time, but I do see there being a future where he doesn't have to work the 9-5 and can do what HE wants to do.

5.0calypso93lx
03-08-2007, 10:19 AM
My dad has owned his own body shop for over 20 years now. He puts in a ton of hours, but he loves it. He goes in at about 9 or 10, and can leave whenever he wants. He can take lunches as long as he wants, although he usually just grabs something and brings it back to the shop.

My mom opened up a Dream Dinners early last year, and that has been a lot of hard work for her. She works at P&G during the day, and then go's to the Dream Dinners store at night, and most of the day saturday. She is opening up her second store in Bridgewater Falls in a couple weeks, so that is going to be even more stress.

But her plan, is to eventually hire managers to run the stores, so she can just spend time with the customers and deal w/ finances.

I think she would probably say, if you work really hard in the beginning, everything will come out good in the end.

rally
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I do detailing, my wife and I have done tractors, semi-tractors, trucks, cars
etc. But because we did'nt have the space before it was only seasonal.

NXcoupe
03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I am like blackhorse. I have owned a performance shop for 13 years now, and owned a restoration shop here in Cincy before that. I now work a state job full time and work the business full time evenings and weekends and during my off time from work. I love my business, I like working with customers and meeting new people, assembling and building things. I don't like the paperwork, taxes, forms, taxes, and the responsibility. I don't make much from the business, most goes back into it and to pay the people to help me out with it. I guess the best thing about it is getting to do something you really love and not having someone breathing down your neck, besides taxes. Did I mention taxes? I keep working towards the goal of being able to work one job, but it is fleeting. I also would like to branch out into other things, but for now I just keep working hard.