PDA

View Full Version : Shocks and Struts

Bluecrew07
03-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Whats a good kind of shocks and struts for a lowered 2002Gt?

bobtsgt
03-08-2007, 02:15 PM
do you want a s&s set up for street and strip or what? There are many different combos out there to use.

Bluecrew07
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
do you want a s&s set up for street and strip or what? There are many different combos out there to use.
sure y not

bobtsgt
03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
since your probally not going to do the coilover thing then get some adjustables. A lot of DD type people go with AGX or Tokico adjustables but some perfer Strange units and say they feel just as good. Adjustable would be your best bet so you can tune for the road and track.

5.0calypso93lx
03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Strange.

Bluecrew07
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
since your probally not going to do the coilover thing then get some adjustables. A lot of DD type people go with AGX or Tokico adjustables but some perfer Strange units and say they feel just as good. Adjustable would be your best bet so you can tune for the road and track.
Ive heard of Tokico..so ill prolly go with that kind

cstreu1026
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Personally I hated the Stranges. They made all kinds of noise on my car. The struts rattle around inside the bushing of the caster camber plates and you heard it over every little bump in the road. I switched them out for a set ot Tokico Illumina's and they don't make a peep. I have the drag struts up front and the standard 5 way adjustables on the rear (thats all they make for shocks). I have heard a lot of similar complaints about the stranges on SN95 cars. However, I have not heard them when it comes to fox bodies. I also have the Tokico Illumina's on my SRT4 (from the factory) and they work great.

Gene
03-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Adjustable is pointless on a street car. The adjustments that are there are not enough to actually make a real difference in the way the car handles. Essentially, cheap adjustables suck.

Buy a set of Bilsteins. The car will handle better, and there's nothing adjustable for you to screw up.

Black Hole
03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Ive heard of Tokico..so ill prolly go with that kind
So what's the point of asking a question if you're going to answer it yourself? :HYF:

Dude, try searching....

www.corral.net
www.modulardepot.com
www.stangnet.com
www.mustangworld.com

These kinds of questions that you have every day are asked, and answered THOUSANDS of times a year....

cstreu1026
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Adjustable is pointless on a street car. The adjustments that are there are not enough to actually make a real difference in the way the car handles. Essentially, cheap adjustables suck.

Buy a set of Bilsteins. The car will handle better, and there's nothing adjustable for you to screw up.

I agree, but if you are trying to get better 60 foot times at the track then they do help. Of course with lowering springs it would probably be pretty pointless since they only hurt weight transfer.

mach_u
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I'll probably get flamed - but I love my KYB Adjustables! :)

Bluecrew07
03-08-2007, 05:31 PM
so i shouldnt go with adjustables then?

Gene
03-08-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree, but if you are trying to get better 60 foot times at the track then they do help.

Well, yes and no. If you used REAL drag-oriented adjustables, like the QA1s or Stranges, then yes they will help if you adjust them properly. But with something like the Tokicos or KYBs, the range of adjustment is so small that the difference they make is going to be largely negated by driver skill.

Of course with lowering springs it would probably be pretty pointless since they only hurt weight transfer.

Exactly. Do Fox front springs and some Strange shocks, and it would be worth it for 60ft times. But if you're running Boulevard Pimp front spring rates, just buy some good non-adjustables and be done with it. Anything is going to be better than stock, and the car won't ever be pushed to the point where the actual type of shock is going to make a difference.

so i shouldnt go with adjustables then?

I wouldn't. For your car there's no reason to.

5.0calypso93lx
03-08-2007, 08:21 PM

I think Josh goes to the track enough to utilize the adjustments on a set of adjustable struts and shocks.

theyallslow
03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
here we go again:rolleyes:
Josh, are you going to buy somthing or just talk about it? if you are going to race it I would think about adjustable.

Bluecrew07
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
here we go again:rolleyes:
Josh, are you going to buy somthing or just talk about it? if you are going to race it I would think about adjustable.
im gonna buy them when i know what kind to get. this is true i go to the tack alot so i want something that will help there also

jared
03-09-2007, 11:48 AM
if your looking for a budget set up...try KYB for the fox stangs. they are a little shorter which gives a little more travel on lowered 94+.

i ran them on 2 of my cars. i actually just ordered S/S/S for my fox yesterday.

bobtsgt
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
fox struts are 1" shorter which will help if the car is lowered 2". but that also means they will expand 1" less so if you have improper weight distribution where the front raises more the shock will be fully extended quicker which may wear them out faster.

jared
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
fox struts are 1" shorter which will help if the car is lowered 2". but that also means they will expand 1" less so if you have improper weight distribution where the front raises more the shock will be fully extended quicker which may wear them out faster.

http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23573#post23573
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
has pics of 87-93 and 94-04 struts and they very close.

i just ordered KYB front and rear and LMM springs for my 91 GT. nothing adjustable though....i dont go to track enough to warrant that.

bobtsgt
03-09-2007, 12:57 PM
yeah they are close but there is a 1" difference. look at the two bodies and how the fox is shorter. Plus the fox rod is shorter by about 1/2"

jared
03-09-2007, 01:15 PM
i see it now. thanks

mach_u
03-09-2007, 05:25 PM
yeah they are close but there is a 1" difference. look at the two bodies and how the fox is shorter. Plus the fox rod is shorter by about 1/2"
Yeah Bob and I know about trying to make 99-04 GT vs. Fox struts fit on lowered cars... :rolleyes: :lol:

Bluecrew07
03-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I looked at the Tokico shocks and found some i just dont know which ones are right for my car. that will give me the handling i need

Stroked91GT
03-10-2007, 10:55 AM
im lowering my fox and using reg kyb gr2s