PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take for a place to out of business

MRGRIMM
03-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I have said something on here before about the mass amount of aftermarket cheapo parts for sale on ebay, and even carried by some major distributors, but am still having trouble getting over the fact that whoever is behind producing this garbage can continue to fund themselves, especially when thier advertising sucks! I'll name drop because I have heard nothing but negative about Granatelli MS's products. I saw one ad they had about installing an intake (I think) product and made it look like an article in the magazine, with cheap test graphs and all, even had a disclaimer, "this is an advertisement" on top and bottom of page. Like someone said before, it's young kids and know it nothings that buy these parts that keep the operation going because the parts are made and imported to poor specs at a low cost and shuffled out as many as possible while they can. Is there really that many mustangs out there that I am not seeing that when an owner decides to mod a car that they knowingly put garbage on it? Where are those cars, hidden in garages from embarrasment, or where the parts never even put on because the person finds out it crap before installing it so just throws them in the basement? With the amount of money it takes to set up a car, and the know how, a lot of personal research takes place that you would think weeds out all the mass produced crap and focuses on the one thing that matters...performance, not a cheap shortcut. After hearing stories of GMS control arms I'd almost say the factory Ford arms are better? I don't know, I haven't yet had my car out on the track/street to test anything, hell my car is no where even close to being done. I am online and in mags constanly researching parts, even if I know I can't afford it for a while. I mean isn't that all part of really loving your car and knowing what you want it to be? The mustang is probably one of the MOST supported cars in the aftermarket, so I guess I understand the jump on band wagon approach by these companies, but it should be burning off by now, especially all the crap still offered for Fox cars. It makes parts picking and just the overall knowledge of the car suffer for the newbie because he has to spend countless hours searching through forums, sites, and books to figure out how to set up a car, which is all in the fun, but it would be better off without the imitation gag parts thrown in there at prices they can afford to mess with newbie heads! Experience rules for cars, I'm trying...but would be easier if crummy companies with crummy parts would stay outta my way on the quest to my ultimate beating machine..the 85 5.0 sitting there lifeless in my moms garage across town! Sorry to invade your forum space, Dedpedal :drunk:

Ranger50
03-08-2007, 02:39 PM
IF a company has a few "good" products, quite a long time.

Look no farther then the one company that produces diamond plate floormats, billet accesories, and tube K-members. All of it is high profit stuff for them. The billet stuff they make is straight out of aerospace firms that don't want machines not running. So they take any job they can and produce some decent stuff VERY CHEAPLY. Anything welded from this company is straight off the freighter from the Chinese shore, it's CHEAP. I have some pics of their "new" k-member and a-arms. Let's just say, one bump in the road will total the car because of inferior "craftsmanship".

I just wish people wouldn't buy cheap "junk". This place called earth has only so many resources and buying unusable "cheap junk" doesn't help.

JMO.
Brian

Gene
03-08-2007, 03:41 PM
It doesn't help that companies like GMS are carried by stores like Summit and Jegs. Most people see that stuff in the Summit book and automatically think it's going to be a quality part (after all, why would a company as big as Summit sell a crap part? :rolleyes: ). Also, the magazines are very good about talking up certain companies because they're big advertisers (why would MM&FF do an article about a junk product? :rolleyes:)...

It's not until someone starts going to the track on a regular basis and sees what people who actually race their cars are using. You might occasionally see a UPR or GMS part on a race car because of sponsorship, but you'll see a lot more PA Racing, Team Z, Maximum Motorsports, etc on the guys who don't have suspension deals.

cstreu1026
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Other than AJ I can't say I know anyone that has had a problem with a UPR part. I have a set of GMS plug wires on my car and they seem well made but every single wire is 4-6 inches too long. I don't care if they have no 0 Ohms per foot resistance they make my engine look like shit so they will be coming off this year.

Black Hole
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
"You get what you pay for." And that goes for everybody. Even stand-up companies can sell crap, but as long as people continue to buy it, why would they pull the product?

I've bought knock-off parts before and I've learned my lesson....