PDA

View Full Version : Best Fluids to Use?

Black92LX
03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
The 96 has been sitting since May started once a week and driven maybe 300 miles.
So I figure it should all the fluids should be changed.
Just curious on the best transmission fluid and differential fluid to use?
Weights, brands, amounts etc.

Thanks

Blackballed
03-09-2007, 12:30 AM
I am a fan of Royal Purple. Both Tranny & Rear Diff. Hope that helps. :bigthumb

bobtsgt
03-09-2007, 08:55 AM
well ofcourse you can't go wrong with motorcraft. make sure you get some friction modifier for the rear. you basically pour in the fluid in the tranny and diff til it starts to come out of the fill hole and then your done.

5.0calypso93lx
03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
I like Redline for the tranny, and Royal Purple for the rear end. I'll have to look next time I'm at the shop, as to what weights I'm running.

Goldenpony
03-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm a RedLine guy

Mustard
03-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I am a fan of Royal Purple. Both Tranny & Rear Diff. Hope that helps. :bigthumb

Im with this guy. Royal Purple all the way. Then when your done have some crown royal.

mach_u
03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Im with this guy. Royal Purple all the way. Then when your done have some crown royal.
+1! I use royal purple for my motor, tranny and now rear end and I'm always about the Crown Royal(even if it is from Canada...)! :bigthumb

Black92LX
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
+1! I use royal purple for my motor, tranny and now rear end and I'm always about the Crown Royal(even if it is from Canada...)! :bigthumb

Sounds good. Though I quit drinking so we'll just stick with the Royal Purple

93cobra
03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Amsoil is by far the best oil you can buy for anything!!!! Worked the best in 2 stroke bikes, 4 stroke bikes, diesel trucks, & anything i've ever used. I use it in my daily drivers running 7500 mile oil changes & the oil comes out spotless. I run the severe 20w50 in my cobra turning 8200 and i know it protected a couple misdownshifts flashing my motor who knows how high for that split second. Tony Bischoff couldn't believe how clean my internals & bearings etc were when pulling my motor apart. Id be rich if i got paid a dollar everytime i locked a motor up racing for a suzuki motocross team in the 99 season that was endorsed by royal purple. it honestly became such a problem that season, our team poured amsoil in the royal purple bottles for looks under the rig and made it look like we still were using royal purple....

My family uses Amsoil in everything....heavy equipment, company powerstrokes....you name it. Our oldest truck we own is a single axle dump f350 7.3 international that has been beat to death. Turned 300,000 last fall and the motor itself has never had anything changed "no orig gaskets have been lifted" ...granted we maintain everything pretty strict but amsoil has been in it since 10,000 mile break in period was up

Do any homework you want....I'd put it against anything on the market.....mobil 1, royal purple, red line.....i've used it all over 20 years of motocross & tow vehicles.....

2K4MACH
04-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I've been using Amsoil 5W20 in my Mach since the first oil change and been very happy with this oil. After I changed my 5 speed tranny oil to their ATF oil the transmission shifted like butter. I've since changed the rear end to their oil too. All my vehicles now run Amsoil for all lubricants.

IWRBB
04-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Redline or Amsoil.

Dirtyd0g
04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Motorcraft merconV only in a 4r70w. Anything else is asking for trouble. GM syncromesh in a manual.
In a ford Traction lock diff use the 75w-140 motorcraft fluid and 2 bottles of modifier. Most aftermarket diffs suggest standard non synthetic 80w90.
So you have your debate, Amsoil,Redline,Royal purple. Or that which is proven to work and costs less. Seems pretty simple to me. I use motorcraft 5w20 in all my vehicles for motor oil. Buy it at the commy mart.
Alan

5.0calypso93lx
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I just swapped the tranny fluid in the sentra for the Royal Purple, and I am not impressed at all. The stock tranny's in these cars are known to be very notchy stock. I put this in there, and didn't notice much of a difference, actually it feels even notchier when its cold. Whenever Specialty Formulations starts taking orders again, thats the fluid I'll be using.

331TwistedWedge
04-07-2007, 08:48 PM
watch out for those full synthetics ... they give you the extra horsepower because they are very slippery - that causes for major wear on your parts ... just lost a posi unit on a car that has 23k miles (thanks royal purple), without too many hard launches ... dont take my word, but take the word of a few professionals that gave me that advice as well ... stick with the conventional fluids for longevity ... my .02 cents, im sure many will disagree ...

pennzoil and valvoline has treated me well over the years ... 287,500 miles on my nissan (valvoline "max life" every oil change) 223k miles on my brothers beretta (valvoline every oil change) ... im afraid of the full synthetics, i blew a 302 with less than 100 miles on it using "royal purple" - this is why im writing you guys ... this racing is big money, i would hate for you guys to blow a 5000-8000 dollar engine ...

93cobra up there talking about royal purple, im right with you on that junk ... that amsoil sounds pretty nice :bigthumb

05yellowgt
04-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I run Royal Purple in my engine, Tranny and Diff.

331TwistedWedge, what is your logic behind synthetic oil being more "slick" as you put it cause accelerated wear on parts? If a given lubricant decreases friction, and thus increases power output, how could it possibly cause more wear? The cause of wear on bearings is either due to contamination of the oil or metal to metal contact. Contamination of the lubricant aside, how can you see more power out of an engine if there is increased wear (aka friction) occurring?

331TwistedWedge
04-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I run Royal Purple in my engine, Tranny and Diff.

331TwistedWedge, what is your logic behind synthetic oil being more "slick" as you put it cause accelerated wear on parts? If a given lubricant decreases friction, and thus increases power output, how could it possibly cause more wear? The cause of wear on bearings is either due to contamination of the oil or metal to metal contact. Contamination of the lubricant aside, how can you see more power out of an engine if there is increased wear (aka friction) occurring?

if you're happy with "your" royal purple then keep running it ... i was giving examples of my problems ... 93cobra makes valid statements as well ... if you want technical terms for reasons not to use it, we can call my engine builder ... i listen to him, because he is 60 years old and has built an engine or two ... not here to debate things, just giving examples of my issues ... trying to help others keep their engine alive ...

i think your statement of metal to metal contact hit the nail on the head, talking about royal purple ... i myself think its crap ... i have lost too much money using the product ... (and only that product) ... you can have your opinion, i have mine ... good luck with the royal purple .........

05yellowgt
04-08-2007, 11:07 PM
if you're happy with "your" royal purple then keep running it ... i was giving examples of my problems ... 93cobra makes valid statements as well ... if you want technical terms for reasons not to use it, we can call my engine builder ... i listen to him, because he is 60 years old and has built an engine or two ... not here to debate things, just giving examples of my issues ... trying to help others keep their engine alive ...

i think your statement of metal to metal contact hit the nail on the head, talking about royal purple ... i myself think its crap ... i have lost too much money using the product ... (and only that product) ... you can have your opinion, i have mine ... good luck with the royal purple .........
No need to take a defensive stance on the issue. I just was interested in what your reasoning for thinking that synthetic oils shorten the life span of engines, transmissions and differentials.

Synthetic oils are more "slippery" meaning less friction, less metal to metal contact, and therefore less wear on a given part.

331TwistedWedge
04-08-2007, 11:36 PM
well basically you described every lubricant out there, synthetic or conventional ... not being defensive ... i had bad luck with that product, i wont use it again ...

05yellowgt
04-08-2007, 11:55 PM
I understand where you are coming from.