PDA

View Full Version : Whats involved in making bare heads complete heads? 1.6 or 1.7 rockers?

5.0calypso93lx
03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I found a set of brand new bare, Trick Flow Track Heat heads for a VERY good price and have a few questions to see if these are worth buying.

My question is what all is involved in getting these heads right to bolt on? I don't know much about cylinder heads at all, let alone the engine itself.

I figure buying the heads bare for this price, will also maybe allow me to upgrade the valvetrain that will be going into these heads. Can anyone recomend me a valvetrain for the following setup?

My current engine is a stock rebuilt 306 w/ Keith Black hyperjunk .030 over pistons.

I plan on running the Track Heat intake manifold and stage 1 cam with these heads as well.

I'd also like to go with some 1.7 harland sharp or scorpion rockers if I can, but am affraid with the stock pistons, so I may just end up buying some 1.6's.

Also what would a ballpark cost be for assembling these heads at a local machine shop, once I have everything that is needed?

Thanks for any help guys!

Jeff88coupe
03-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Bare heads mean just that...it's just the head casting. You will need to buy valves/valve springs/retainers/valve seals/valve spring shims if needed/valve locks and retainers. Plus have a valve job done so the new valves fit correctly. Machine shop costs..probably $100-150 for the valve job(maybe cheaper since the heads are already disassembled), probably~$100 for getting them assembled.

5.0calypso93lx
03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Bare heads mean just that...it's just the head casting. You will need to buy valves/valve springs/retainers/valve seals/valve spring shims if needed/valve locks and retainers. Plus have a valve job done so the new valves fit correctly. Machine shop costs..probably $100-150 for the valve job(maybe cheaper since the heads are already disassembled), probably~$100 for getting them assembled.

Thats not too bad. So should I just buy a valvetrain kit or try and piece it together? If a kit, who makes a good one?

Jeff88coupe
03-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Go see da cracker...he's a comp dealer :)

5.0calypso93lx
03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Go see da cracker...he's a comp dealer :)

I would, but I don't want to waste his time checking prices, if these heads aren't even going to be worth it.

331TwistedWedge
03-14-2007, 03:02 PM
I found a set of brand new bare, Trick Flow Track Heat heads for a VERY good price and have a few questions to see if these are worth buying.

My question is what all is involved in getting these heads right to bolt on? I don't know much about cylinder heads at all, let alone the engine itself.

I figure buying the heads bare for this price, will also maybe allow me to upgrade the valvetrain that will be going into these heads. Can anyone recomend me a valvetrain for the following setup?

My current engine is a stock rebuilt 306 w/ Keith Black hyperjunk .030 over pistons.

I plan on running the Track Heat intake manifold and stage 1 cam with these heads as well.

I'd also like to go with some 1.7 harland sharp or scorpion rockers if I can, but am affraid with the stock pistons, so I may just end up buying some 1.6's.

Also what would a ballpark cost be for assembling these heads at a local machine shop, once I have everything that is needed?

Thanks for any help guys!

if you get the heads cheap enough, they are definitely worth putting $200-$300 in to ... or you're looking 1149.00 for a complete set (so weigh your options) ... run your track heat intake ... use the TFS stage 1 cam so you don't have any *PTV* clearance issues (1.6 roller rockers as well) ... *but i would double check the piston to valve clearance just to be safe* ... the staggered valves (almost hemi like) will allow a 2.02 intake valve with your pistons ...

hyperjunk? ... well thats a myth, yes junk if you shoot nitrous, but a better piston for horsepower if you stay naturally aspirated ...

thats a fun little street package ... i ran it one summer .......