PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Slick 50/Lucas oil addatives?

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-16-2007, 08:47 AM
I got this '88 Bronco II a couple weeks ago for a work beater, and the 2.9 that came in these and the Rangers back then had some kind of flaw in the heads that caused a pinging/knocking like a lifter going bad, and i read that some of them even got it with as little as 10k miles on it. Mine would do it only when starting up and go away after 20 seconds or so. So, i did a lot of routine maintenance and figured i'd try a bottle of Slick 50 just to see if it would help. It took about a week of driving but now i'd say 9 out of 10 times when i start it there's NO knocking anymore at all.

So the windsor tech part of this is, has anyone ever used this stuff on their 302? My coupe has got a ridiculous amount of miles on it (the OD stopped at 230k..lol) so i'm thinking about giving it a try next time i change my oil.

I talked to a guy who said to stay away from engine detergents because, he says, they only clean all the sludge out and send it to the oil pan which in turn is going to clog your oil pump...any truth to this?

R825OH
03-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Yep just Slick 50ed the wifes car made a HUGE improvement. good power again quieted down the valves, seems fine

Black92LX
03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
This is what you want to use my friend!! One of the best engine cleaners around
https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/aef.aspx?zo=1472085

I talked to a guy who said to stay away from engine detergents because, he says, they only clean all the sludge out and send it to the oil pan which in turn is going to clog your oil pump...any truth to this?
That can be the case for some. But if you use a product like this or seafoam it's evident where the crap goes.
Here is a link to some just after using Seafoam
http://greg.whoopdee.com/Seafoam%20and%20Freeway%20Pics%203:11:07/Seafoam.AVI

Seafoam is a great product aswell I have used it on the Mustang and the idle smoothed out huge.

As for the sticky lifter I had the problem in my 92 and i used 3 quarts of the suggested oil and 2 quarts of 20w50 and it solved the problem

Timido
03-16-2007, 07:56 PM
I use sea foam in my motorcycle gas every once in a while it seems to clear up the idle jets.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-16-2007, 08:22 PM
So can you use Seafoam on a carbed engine?

Timido
03-16-2007, 08:51 PM
I think you can run sea foam in and through just about anything. My motorcycle is carburted and I ran it through the fuel tank.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

zombis
03-17-2007, 01:59 AM

i don't think detergents would hurt any, all auto oil has some in it. guess it just depends on how much u put in

and yes u can put seafoam in about anything. one hell of a product. give it a try

Timido
03-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I know people who used to put transmission fluid in the oil and run it a while and drain it. I guess the high detergents help clean the insides of the engine. The problem is the stuff that cloggs the pickup screen. If somthing is really sludged up you need to start taking it apart and clean it by hand.

dedpedal
03-17-2007, 12:06 PM
I know people who used to put transmission fluid in the oil and run it a while and drain it. I guess the high detergents help clean the insides of the engine. The problem is the stuff that cloggs the pickup screen. If somthing is really sludged up you need to start taking it apart and clean it by hand.

I think Tim hit the nail with the hammer here. If its that bad, detergents are probably going to cause more harm than good.

ricmcusa
03-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Two years ago my dads f 350 was hit by a tree while driving down the road. 460 engine. Got the truck back no oil pressure.I think the impact knocked some shit loose in the crankcase. He had this truck for 3 years. He changes his oil every 3000 miles. I talked to someone at bishoffs in harrison they informed me the 460 in the later trucks was victim of oil sludge.No matter how much you change the oil. I have seen this in certain front wheel drive cars also. Here is what I did to remedy the f350. Added gunk crankcase cleaner. Ran it for 5 minutes at idle like the directions say on the can. If you do this once and change your oil you will clog the new filter. I did this three times new filter and oil every time. then changed it again with just oil and filter. Alot of crap came out the first two times. Changed the oil and filter again after driving the truck a 100 miles. The f350 is still running strong.It is a pain to do this but it beats dropping the pan and or rebuilding the engine.Hope this helps.:bigthumb

Rick93coupe
03-17-2007, 09:15 PM
I'd think the key here, is to change the oil more often than the factory recommends, that and use a good quality oil, preferably synthetic after break in. I use a mixture of castrol and 1 qt of mobil one for my own synthetic blend with a much higher concentration than you can get in a semi synthetic bottle from the parts house. My understanding is that they only have to add something like 1% synthetic for it to be considered a blend at the factory.

Ryan218
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
my dad uses it with his 86...has over 230k on it...didn't have any ticks or pinging before but it dose run smoother now...