PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ 8.8 setup

mustangboy
03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I have an 8.8 we are putting together and before we kill ourselves I thought I would pick your all's brains. I want to know what you guys have done to collapse the crush sleeve when the rear is OUT of the car on the floor. With it in the car it is no problem but with it out what is the easiest way to do it. My buddy does not want to use an impact thinking it could damage the bearings. So give me your ideas. Thanks.

LXEnvy1990
03-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I would just use and impact, but just don't kill it! Little small raps on it. I think it is supposed to be like 145ft lbs before it starts collapse! And i usually take a philip's head screw driver and stick it in one of the drive shaft bolt holes!:lol: Or a pipe wrench.....

Or just use a pipe wrench to hold the part that the drive shaft bolts to. And use a big torque wrench! You shouldn't hurt them bearings, there pretty heavy duty! Good luck either way!:bigthumb

Black Horse
03-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I have had luck with wedging a wood block against the ring gear and cranking down with a breaker bar - be real careful with the impact as it is too easy to go too far. As a rule of thumb I don't pay too much attention to the torque spec (note - not for the novice), I just crank it down untill I feel just the VERY slightest of everything getting snug.

Jeff88coupe
03-19-2007, 08:27 AM
I've always (well Timado actually did it) used a impact to set the crush sleave...but I think we almost always just used a used crush sleeve. You just have to "Feel" the slop in the bearing/gear lash get just right.

8banger
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Also sell a Solid pinion spacer with shims for the 8.8 along with other rears....Ran them on all my drag only cars....sometimes the crush sleeve(under hard launches) can crush even more due to the impact,,causing the pinion bearings to get loose...one misconception is to just tighten the pinion nut..when my 60's started gettin in the 1.30's range....I started having problems....went to a solid spacer...remedy....And when crushing the sleeve.(little at a time)..just need alittle resistance when turning the pinion flange..(called bearing preload)(I think most are 12 to 16 INCH pounds or resistance)....:D