PDA

View Full Version : Driver gets ticket for DOT approved slicks

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
I thought you guys would like to see this since it's going around on the net anyways. It's pretty funny but you just can't win with a cop even if you are right.

http://media.putfile.com/cops-owned48

Kevin Doe
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Hahaha, that was awesome!

bobtsgt
03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I would have just taken the ticket and argued it later. Take the rims off that day and take them in as evidence exhibit A and B :D

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
It said at the end the ticket got dropped but i wonder if that's a lie or not just to sound cool. From what i understand there is this "officer discretion" where if he feels it's unsafe, it's unsafe no matter what the tire looks like or if it is legal or not. Besides how many passes can you make on a street slick before the tread depth is illegal?

bobtsgt
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM
about 50 easily :lol: I wonder it that it a non-moving violation and how much the ticket was?

Black92LX
03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
The question was not wether they are DOT or not it's tread depth. But just because something says it is DOT approved does not mean it it. Many non DOT headlights have the model number starting with DOT.

As for officer safety wow he blew it completely out the window in any fashion.
On my traffic stops:
You do not talk on the cell phone or send text messages
You do not point anything at me cameras included or it gets taken away
You do not get out of the car unless instructed by me. You go to open the door be ready for it to be closed quite quickly.
You do not argue with me on the side of the road that is what a court room is for. The more youargue the less it is going away. On a traffic stop you are not guilty you have only been cited you have the choice to take it to court and that is where the debate will take place not on the side of the road. You start arguing I hand you your paperwork and I walk away.

I am so glad my department doesn't make us get the citations signed, that is just more time i have to be on the side of the road.

Though the driver knows he is in the wrong. the easiest way to tell someone is wrong is when they change their story. First he says he got them a couple of months ago. Then all the sudden they become BRAND NEW!

Timido
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I would think the cop would know the min tread depth.

Kevin Doe
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Brand new, a few months old isnt that big of a deal.

One thing I can't stand is police or any authority figure abusing his/her power. Yes, he coudl fight this in court, and chances are he'll have to spend a lot of money to have a decent outcome in court.

I think the passenger has all the right in the world to videotape the whole interaction.

He did ask permission to get out of the car, and the officer said it was ok.

mustang8998
03-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Though the driver knows he is in the wrong. the easiest way to tell someone is wrong is when they change their story. First he says he got them a couple of months ago. Then all the sudden they become BRAND NEW!

Thats a moot point. He could easily have bought them a year ago, but only recently, put them on the car. ;)

Black92LX
03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I would think the cop would know the min tread depth.

i don't know minimum tread depth but then again i would never write someone for it.

One thing I can't stand is police or any authority figure abusing his/her power.
I saw no abuse of power by any means.

Thats a moot point. He could easily have bought them a year ago, but only recently, put them on the car.
But that still doesn't make them brand new. My point is he changed his story. Changes in the story no matter how small it may seem is always a good indicator.

theyallslow
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
that is damn funny, he got lucky

boosted 98
03-22-2007, 11:38 PM
cops lie!

Kevin Doe
03-23-2007, 12:25 AM
I saw no abuse of power by any means.

Good, we agree on that.

But.... Taking someones camera for pointing it at you? Is that a danger to you to take video? You've got a video camera and voice recorder running, why can't anyone else?

Black92LX
03-23-2007, 12:57 AM
But.... Taking someones camera for pointing it at you?
It's not the fact that it's a camera or that is someone is recording me.
I work at night I try to light my situations up as much as possible but if it's dark and someone pops something up at me that i can't see very well especially something that has a red dot coming from it. We have problems.
You make quick movements and something is pointed at me (doen't really matter what it is) it's getting taken quickly and dependant on the tone of the situation already you may find yourself out of the car and on the ground before you know what happened.

Had it happen once on a traffic stop guy didn't really mean anything by it. But look at it from my standpoint, i am already on guard (i don't know you from adam so i am ready for the worst) i come up to the window and see something in someones hand and a red dot. My first thought was GUN. If i think there is a gun in the scenerio playtime is over. Now when things are all said and done you will get it back and i will explain why i did what i did. Most people don't think about things like that.

thejock60
03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
My Brother has a 1970 C10 pickup, a Hickory police officer pulled him and gave him a ticket for no inspection sticker. No matter what my brother said to that officer, my brother was wrong. He tried to explain to the officer that the truck didn't have to have one becuase it was more than 30 years old. The officer said there wasn't a such law, my brother had to go to an inspections station and get a letter saying it wasn't required and took it to the sgt. on duty and he signed off the ticket.

Silver Bullet
03-23-2007, 08:29 AM
WOW! What a nice officer.....

TOOOOO Nice........

In my experience, people usually write their own tickets, and he would have got cited for every violation I could have found! LOL

CAPRISTANG
03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
The min. depth of a tire can be measered with a penny, from the top of lincolns head. It was a bullshit stop he could of waited and got him for something else later. If it was raining i could see were the cop should of stopped him, but come on it was a sunny day. They were looking for a race plain an simple. I he didn't buy the Hoosier's the officer wouldn't of paid any attion. The kid's a smartass, should of shut up and just whent to court. Be discrete in you're action's...

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Well i can't say anything about the slicks he was using but i'm pretty sure the story wouldn't have been any different if he had ET Streets on his car, which are in fact legal for street use. I don't think this cop is an example of all cops, but i do think he was being a dick and singling out the young kid with the fast car.

I've also heard stories of guys getting pulled over for squeeling tires because they have a spool/locker type rear diff and when turning corners the cop thought they were hot rodding. There was a story in one of the 'stang mags about a real street car getting pulled over for this...and the guy had to explain the inner workings of the rear end to the cop to make him understand.

I think the problem is that (sorry to stereotype but this has been my experience) most cops are NEVER WRONG because they know the law and you can't possibly know it better than they do.

Example...i got pulled over once on 32 for going 70 up one of the big hills by Batavia.....i was driving my old '92 Ranger....i'm tellin you i would have to drive that truck full throttle down one side to be able to go 70 up the other side....this cop hit someone else and pulled me over for it. I was in the slow lane petering along at about 50.

Another example...i was in Loveland by one of the schools. It was the end of the school day and buses were out etc. I was approaching the school zone and looked for the lights to be flashing....they were not. So, i moved along at the posted 35mph. Sure enough, i got pulled over. Then began a half hour debate about whether the lights were flashing or not. I had to explain to this woman that i would've had to be retarded to not go 20 since she was sitting right in the middle of the median and i couldn't have missed her. In the end after seeing that i have no speeding tickets, she "took my word for it". Again, she couldn't possibly be wrong that the lights were off (even though she wasn't even in view of either set of lights).

Then there was the time i got pulled over in my coupe for going...50...in a 55....in the slow lane. Why? Because i was suspicious (i had just put my Tremec in and was cruising to see if everything was good). This is the one example that ended cool, because i sat on the curb BS'ing with this cop about the old SSP Mustangs and how sweet they were :D

theyallslow
03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
it is funny evertime i see it...

Kevin Doe
03-23-2007, 10:06 AM
It's not the fact that it's a camera or that is someone is recording me.
I work at night I try to light my situations up as much as possible but if it's dark and someone pops something up at me that i can't see very well especially something that has a red dot coming from it. We have problems.
You make quick movements and something is pointed at me (doen't really matter what it is) it's getting taken quickly and dependant on the tone of the situation already you may find yourself out of the car and on the ground before you know what happened.

I can totally understnad the bright light in the dark thing. That makes sense. But this situation was during the day. Yes the guy was kinda a smartass, but who wants to go to court to battle it out, as opposed to just convincing the officer that they're legal?

Black92LX
03-23-2007, 04:34 PM
but who wants to go to court to battle it out, as opposed to just convincing the officer that they're legal?
Me. If I didn't think someone is in the wrong if I wouldn't have pulled them over in the first place. The side of the road is the last place to be having an argument. Standing on the side of the road is one of the most dangerous places for an officer to be and I will spend the least amount of time there posssible.
If someone wants to argue it that is fine (we do make mistakes we are human) court is the place and not the side of the road.

Timido
03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Yea last time I got pulled over the lady cop said I was going 66 in a 55. And I will be damned if she was nice and repsectfull about it and let me off with a warning :)

Kevin Doe
03-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Me. If I didn't think someone is in the wrong if I wouldn't have pulled them over in the first place. The side of the road is the last place to be having an argument. Standing on the side of the road is one of the most dangerous places for an officer to be and I will spend the least amount of time there posssible.
If someone wants to argue it that is fine (we do make mistakes we are human) court is the place and not the side of the road.

Court is free for you, not so much for other people. Hell, you get paid to go to court, while I'd have to take off work. Not the same situation and motives.

Agreed that you dont' want to be on the side of the road, and neither would I.

venomous_svt
03-23-2007, 05:06 PM
A cop will always win...I took a KY State Trooper to court to fight a careless driving ticket. The cop was riding my bumper...when I say riding...he might as well been in the backseat. KY State drivers manual says "If another vehicle is following to close.. Flash/Tap your brakes to let the other driver know he is to close." I walked in the courtroom with that manual highlighted...I thought it was a slam dunk..Nope wrong, Try again asshole..It appeared the judge didnt believe in a manual you have to read to get your license in the first place........ You can not win!:flipoff: But hell, it was worth the laugh! That is what inspired me to go to college for law enforcement. If you cant beat them, Join them.

dedpedal
03-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Im surprised that the officer didnt decide to check the rest of the car for safety violations.Mabbe if the kids wheels matched, the officer wouldnt have even noticed the car.

bestracing
03-23-2007, 06:16 PM
That was weird. I'm sure he was think slicks were on the car.

For what it worth, Back in '88 when I had to transfer my license to Ohio the test booklet said that the minimum tread depth was 1/16"

BigBadStang
03-24-2007, 08:56 PM
...but you just can't win with a cop even if you are right.

http://media.putfile.com/cops-owned48

i won once against an ohio state trooper...i couldnt believe it!!

here goes... i was going down rt 4 by the hamilton post in butler county in my tractor trailer. he pulls up next to me then drops back and hits the lights. i pull over and he tells me he pulled me over for not having mud flaps on the tractor. i told him that you dont have to have them on the tractor IF you are pulling a trailer. he says i am wrong and he is going to issue me a citation. i decide not to argue with him and i will contest it at court.
the next day the trooper calls me at home, and tells me that he was wrong, and i was to tear up the ticket, and he would send me a letter for proof that the citation was dropped, and he apologized for the inconvenience. i damn near passed out!! after having a few run ins with troopers in the past (hard to believe...huh...just ask "tchilly"...) their egos usually dont allow them to admit to being wrong.

Dipstick
03-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Standing on the side of the road is one of the most dangerous places for an officer to be

I heard that gas stations and donut shops when they run out of coffee is a pretty bad place for cops to be too. LOL J/k I am a corrections officer in Dayton and these guys do put up with alot of shit.

cstreu1026
03-25-2007, 10:11 PM
i won once against an ohio state trooper...i couldnt believe it!!

here goes... i was going down rt 4 by the hamilton post in butler county in my tractor trailer. he pulls up next to me then drops back and hits the lights. i pull over and he tells me he pulled me over for not having mud flaps on the tractor. i told him that you dont have to have them on the tractor IF you are pulling a trailer. he says i am wrong and he is going to issue me a citation. i decide not to argue with him and i will contest it at court.
the next day the trooper calls me at home, and tells me that he was wrong, and i was to tear up the ticket, and he would send me a letter for proof that the citation was dropped, and he apologized for the inconvenience. i damn near passed out!! after having a few run ins with troopers in the past (hard to believe...huh...just ask "tchilly"...) their egos usually dont allow them to admit to being wrong.

That sort of thing doesn't really surprise me. I think that knowing norma traffic laws is a lot to deal with. When you through in comercial vehicle regulations its gets way more complicated and when you involve hazardous materials it gets even deeper. I deal with a lot of DOT stuff even though I don't drive for work and I can imagine its quite easy to miss something or getting something wrong when an officer stops a vehicle in traffic.

BigBadStang
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
That sort of thing doesn't really surprise me. I think that knowing norma traffic laws is a lot to deal with. When you through in comercial vehicle regulations its gets way more complicated and when you involve hazardous materials it gets even deeper. I deal with a lot of DOT stuff even though I don't drive for work and I can imagine its quite easy to miss something or getting something wrong when an officer stops a vehicle in traffic.

i know... i thanked him on the phone for being stand up enough to call and tell me. most of the time i think they would let it slide, and leave it up to the court to toss it out.

andd you are right, all the DOT stuff is a lot to keep track of, and if you do get pulled over for ANYTHING, you had better have ALL your ducks in a row! these trucks are seen by many police as a source of income. :(

Motorvation
03-28-2007, 11:09 PM
The whole argue in court thing is BS! Even if you win the defendant still has to pay court costs. Wanna know how much that is in Ky...$129! I think the cop that made the BS call should cough up the dough for his bone head call. Not to mention the time spent off work to do that stuff. I just got burnt if you couldn't tell.

BigBadStang
03-29-2007, 01:13 AM
thats how they get people to waive the court hearing, and just pay the fine. it IS bull$hit, and think of all the money they make doing that! :(

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-29-2007, 08:59 AM
The only reason to fight the ticket in court is to try to keep from getting a point on your license, which will cost you more money in the long run through insurance rates. Either way you're coughing up money.

mustang8998
03-30-2007, 08:40 PM
In my experience, (in Ohio), I have pled not guilty and even no contest. It's up to the judge, but in my case, I didn't have to pay a fine, or court cost.

IWRBB
04-01-2007, 10:23 AM
In my experience, (in Ohio), I have pled not guilty and even no contest. It's up to the judge, but in my case, I didn't have to pay a fine, or court cost.

You got lucky. At least 90% of poeple pay both. I hire a lawyer and let him go to court for me. $300 and it's done. No points.

I think it's funny how the cops on the board are so casusal about "take it to court". I work every day. You know, like all the thousands of others who chump up taxes so you can get your salary. Taking a day off to sit in a courtroom isn't worth it, and you all damn well know that and use it to your advantage.

Why don't you go harrass the unemployed, welfare recipeints in POS Cavaliers for doing 10 MPH over? They have plenty of time to attend court and fight it. Oh yea that's right, they are broke and wouldn't pay the fine anyways- the people with nice cars and trucks are the ones who willingly pay and fill the coffers.

Argg.. cops piss me off.