PDA

View Full Version : no fuel is that a bad thing?

theloneranger
03-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I have a 94 ford ranger, with the dual plug head and it won't start. I just rebuilt the motor it started before the rebuild. I have 40lb at the fuel rail before cranking the motor. the pressure quickly drops and when the motor cranks their is 3lbs of pressure at the fuel rail. the ECU threw a code, which is "543- fuel pump circut open, EEC processor to battery." I am just wondering if anyone knows what I might need to do to start my truck?

Stangman
03-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Carburate it!! lol!! jfwy Josh!!

dedpedal
03-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Start by rechecking all the grounds. How long did the truck sit while the engine was out? It could be a sticking relay somewhere.

theloneranger
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM
I checked all the grounds like 10 times with a ground checker and the relays are good they click and everything I checked many wires but I don't understand what the problem is. also I don't have spark the coil packs are good ( I had them tested) they have power ground and signal, same with ignition control module( I had tested several times). I read that it could be a pressure relief valve but I cannot find that unless its the schrader valve.

ricmcusa
03-25-2007, 12:33 AM
I am with ded pedal. Check your grounds. Not with a ground checker? I would check it by jumping the ground with a piece of wire. I would check the fuses also. What does pressure a relief valve have to do with spark anyway? It is a mechanical device in the fuel pump itself. I would make sure the charging and starting system is good. Not for sure on fords. But I know on chryslers if you have under 11 volts it will crank fine, but the computer ecm ,pcm whatever you want to call it will say not enough volts to wake me up.Crank all day and not start. Loose battery cables weak battery. Check the basics first. And then check where you have been. If it ran fine before it must be something you did or did not do. I am not raggin on you. I have been workin on junk for 19 years now everyday for a living. And usually when I have a problem like this it's something I did or didn't do.
My 2 cents:cool1:

theloneranger
03-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I am with ded pedal. Check your grounds. Not with a ground checker? I would check it by jumping the ground with a piece of wire. I would check the fuses also. What does pressure a relief valve have to do with spark anyway? It is a mechanical device in the fuel pump itself. I would make sure the charging and starting system is good. Not for sure on fords. But I know on chryslers if you have under 11 volts it will crank fine, but the computer ecm ,pcm whatever you want to call it will say not enough volts to wake me up.Crank all day and not start. Loose battery cables weak battery. Check the basics first. And then check where you have been. If it ran fine before it must be something you did or did not do. I am not raggin on you. I have been workin on junk for 19 years now everyday for a living. And usually when I have a problem like this it's something I did or didn't do.
My 2 cents:cool1:

I did all that then I checked again after posting here and then I began to think.....did smyth give me the sensor for a 94 which is OBD1 od for a 1995 which is OBD2 ao I think that is my problem, I think what do you think?

dedpedal
03-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Heres something that happened to my GT while it was down for the winter. It would fire right up and run, but when I shut it off, it wouldnt restart. I chased my tail for a week. The only thing that would make it start again was to pull the relay for the pump and crank till it tryed to fire. Then plug the relay back in and it would start. It turned out to be the computer itself. I borrowed one from a friend and the problem went away. I bought a remaned one and it was fine till the last time when I screwed it up by crossing 12 volts across the speed sensor and fried it.

Stangman
03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
we have swapped relays, tried another ECU, still nothing.... Josh refuses to let a shop fix it.

I think we have to have major resistance somewhere in some wires, or horrible grounds/incomplete circuits... i would love to find a complete wiring harness out of another 94 ranger for him (one that didnt come from cleveland and is an oil bomb) and see if we can get a complete circuit to appear.

Swiller of Beer
03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
If it has one, check the inertia switch. I have had those switches go bad and cause a high resistance in the fuel pump circuit.

Swiller of Beer
03-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Forgot to add, you may want to check the EEC power relay for problems as well. That relay powers the fuel pump relay and other things as well. They are tied together in a way, so if the EEC relay is bad, you won't have any fuel pressure either. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

dedpedal
03-27-2007, 12:56 AM
I dont know about rangers, but my 93 2.3 burned out the fp relay and it sounded alot like your problem. I thought it was the pump till I hooked a battery pack up to the pump and it fired right up. On the stang its located in a 24 pin box on the fender.

Stangman
03-27-2007, 01:11 AM
we swapped those larger relays around and no change, Josh thinks that smyth's gave him the wrong sensor cuz he called them today and gave them the part number of the one he was given and they said it didnt exist in their system, so hopefully this is a case of the mistaken sensor, which should fix the problem, since that lil bugger tells the ECU to give spark and tells the ecu to tell the pump to complete the curcuit and pump fuel i believe.... i hope.

Josh just bought and '84 nissan/datsun 300zx (and yes its both a nissan and a datsun) for $350 to race, so if the truck gets fixed who knows what he will do now, lol!

ricmcusa
03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Sorry I havn't got back with I you it it possible if you have the wrong sensor it could be wired different. Which could cause a short circuit. I experinced this once on a isuzu rodeo. The 02 was one year different. You could go on autozones site and look it up between the two years and see if they are different. Just look at part numbers for oem not universal.
Hope this helps.

Stangman
03-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Josh.... you should just buy like an '89 Mustang coupe...

and then go hogwild on it with crazy coilover suspension and all that other good stuff... :D