PDA

View Full Version : Another Chapter.

Maximus
03-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Last Summer I had to put down Cody, my shepard mix of 12 years. It was one of the toughest things I had to do. I still miss him, but what I really miss (it took me over 7 months to realize) is that I miss the good times we had together. All of our good times together got me through his passing.

I was looking on petfinder.com and came across a White Shepard puppy. So I half heartedly emailed it to my wife. I figured she would be like "Uh Hello. We have a 3 month old."
But she did the complete opposite. "Whenever you are ready"

I was surprised and kinda excited about getting another dog. All my feelings about Cody came rushing back and I still get a tear in my eye when I remember him. But the thoughts of a puppy being raised in this house, with all these girls, WHOA!! Its gonna be an adventure to say the least.

So I checked again on the White Shepard and he was already adopted. I kept looking. There are ALOT of dogs out there.:( I started feeling guilty because i know I cant have ALL of them. So then the wife throws another curve, "why not get 2??" she says.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!??! Holy Shit!! So now Im looking with her over my shoulder and we found at least one.
We have an appointment tomorrow and my step daughter doesnt know. We are "dragging" her out of class tomorrow and driving down to Frankfort, Ky. to look at Bruno, Wayne, Ernie, Zeus, Saber, and Benjamin.
Im pulling for Bruno and Ernie. But till I meet them all, Im going in with an open mind and Heart.

Wish me luck:)

Heres Bruno...
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8068866

Wayne...
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7789616

Benjamin...
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7808615

Ernie...
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7740374

Rustanggt98
03-27-2007, 12:33 AM
wayne and bruno look like keepers to me :cool1: good luck guy!

Paul408Notch
03-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Cute pups!! Ernie looks like he's part Cocker Spaniel to me with those ears for some reason.

DeckerEnt
03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Go for it. Dogs give nothing but LOVE. And I can clean the little accidents for ya.
Keith

dedpedal
03-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Go for it. Dogs give nothing but LOVE. And I can clean the little accidents for ya.
Keith

He needs more help cleaning up his own "accidents".
They look cool Craig. Good luck with whichever ones you end up adopting.

'92Stang
03-27-2007, 12:45 AM
All good looking pups. Good mixture no matter what way ya go.

ricmcusa
03-27-2007, 12:54 AM
I think it would be cool to adopt. Bruno looks cool. So does ernie. Benjamin is a terrier. They can be a handful. (terriers) I wouldn't give nothing for my jack russel terrier though. Wayne has that get me out of here look. Good luck.
I still think it is awesome if you adopt although it is hard to look at all them homeless pups. This pic is of jimi. He is my homie for life.

RACEME
03-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Those are all good looking dogs! Good luck!

67Terror
03-27-2007, 06:38 AM
good luck man i found my dog on petfinder a couple years ago.

MrsAPE
03-27-2007, 08:59 AM
great looking puppies. ah the joy. alan and i have actually been looking into rescue dogs (dobermain) as a playmate for shadow our lab/shep mix. once the yard is fenced in. i've thought about the puppy route but not sure i have the time to do that. kudos to the wife too...she knows what you need!! ah love. :)

Stang849
03-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Great looking pups, any of them will bring you joy for years to come.

MADMOD
03-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Good luck man! I know how you feel about looking at puppies, when me and the GF went to the pound I felt bad for all those dogs. I really wanted to take them all home with me. Poor fella's have to sit in there all day:(

Maximus
03-27-2007, 09:56 AM
We are on our way. Ill post up pics when I get home.:D

Pops Fun
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Good luck picking Craig... Post them up..

Pops

R825OH
03-27-2007, 10:05 AM
2 is actually better they end up playing (babysitting) w/ each other our Jack's keep each other busy.

RACEME
03-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh no, Craig has a huge heart for doggys. It is a good thing the wife is going with him, or he would bring home a truck load!

Black Horse
03-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh no, Craig has a huge heart for doggys. It is a good thing the wife is going with him, or he would bring home a truck load!

The problem is they both have big hearts and small kids......

I'm thinking they come back with at least 3.

Holly
03-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I like Wayne - he's part husky.

I wish I had a fenced in yard for a dog. No way would I get one and keep it in a cage all day, I think that is cruel, considering I am gone most of the day.

Reese and Rudy probably wouldn't appreciate a dog either. :lol:

Good luck Craig and Shawna, I'm sure it will be a hard choice.

Kevin Doe
03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
So, is adopting a dog free? I"ve been wanting a dog, but not wanting to pay $500 for one. Do all the dogs have their shots and whatnot?

MsBlkramair
03-27-2007, 12:59 PM
I already offered you my boxer pup! Why are you still looking? hahaha

Years ago Ronnie and I bought a white boxer pup and a harlequin (black spotted) great dane pup at the same time. Crazy!!!!! Too much of a good thing there. Two puppies are insane to handle and train. But they were very good playmates together.

Good luck guys.....let's see the pics when you bring them home.

331TwistedWedge
03-27-2007, 01:29 PM
So, is adopting a dog free? I"ve been wanting a dog, but not wanting to pay $500 for one. Do all the dogs have their shots and whatnot?

same question as kevin here: someone give us details on getting a dog ... craig put the petfinder page up and i was browsing ... i wouldnt mind having a little guy around the pad, since i cant find a damn girl :lol:

whats the details? ... do you have to have a yard / house?

Holly
03-27-2007, 02:21 PM
So, is adopting a dog free?

Adopting a pet is usually never free. When I adopted Rudy from Noah's Ark in Amelia, they wanted $125 for that little bastard. A black cat, give me a break. I was upset because our cat had been hit by a car the day before (Benny). I was crying, she said she would give him to me for $75 if I promised to get his rabies shot. I took him to the vet down the street, $10. I also got him declawed.

Our latest adoption, Reese, she was supposed to be $60, but they were running an October special for $35. I got her November 4, but they still gave me that price. It's worth it, they come with all their shots and spayed or neutered (dogs and cats). If you get a free one, you are going to have to sink some money into it anyway. I'd rather just pay the price and have it done, I hate taking my cats for a ride. Well, they hate it more than I do.

Kevin Doe
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't mind about something less than $100, but I'm not paying $500 or more for a dog. I'll rather buy some nitrous goodies. Hahahah.

nkystanger
03-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Iv found some awesome dogs on this website,

ADOPTIONS

Our normal Adoption Hours are Thursdays 6-8 pm and Saturdays 1-4 pm. Please call 561-STAF to verify hours for the week and get directions to our shelter. Adoption fees are $75 for cats (includes carrier) and $95 for dogs.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH426.html

firestang70
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Good luck Craig.

OrangeStang04
03-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Craig I know how you feel now about Cody... Last night I had to put my dog Chance to sleep. He was pushing 15yrs old. I was told that for a Full-blooded Lab that was well beyond their typical life span. I don't think I have even cried as hard as I did last night. I could barely stand to be in the same room when they injected him. It was like all the life was taken out of me... and all I could keep saying was that he was in a better place.

This morning we went down the Berry, KY where we have a farm and put him underneath his favorite tree... so he will be happy in the country from now on.

I know alot of people are not pet people... but you never know the impact that they have on your life until they are gone. I don't know if I will find another dog, I think I will because there is already a void that needs to be filled, but I don't know if I will find another one as good as he was!

Sorry to be messing up your thread Craig... I hope you and your girls find a dog that helps you fill that empty void... its just I needed to vent... Life is different the day after

bestracing
03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't mind about something less than $100, but I'm not paying $500 or more for a dog. I'll rather buy some nitrous goodies. Hahahah.

My last two dogs were from the Kenton County Animal Control center. Both were pups when we got them. Looking at their sight it's $80 for the adoption and when we did it that fee also payed for the Spay/Nuetering. One of our dogs is a great dane mix the other is a Shepard/Chow mix.

H82WRK
03-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Thank you so much for choosing a rescue pup! That is awesome, I can't wait to hear which one(s) you will get :) Photos are a must!

In regards to rescue $ etc. I can input on this since I volunteered quite heavily for a local sheltie rescue. In short here are some differences between rescue orgs. and pounds/shelters

Rescue = higher adoption $, but the animals typically have had more socialization with volunteers, are up to date on shots and meds and have been nuetered or spayed with any additional medical needs taken care of
(privately run, non kill, they have the animals a lot longer and knowing that they do not have to put any to sleep the following week they are open to "investing" more money into these little creatures, they can be choosing about which animals they take as they are privately owned and not a government operated function)

Pound = lower $ fee, not much medical needs addressed, maybe a course of shots and possibly a spay or neuter voucher for some money off when the procedure is done
(county run, kill, these animals are put to sleep so they do not "invest" money into them because they also have to take every animal that comes to them the space is very limited on a daily basis and to make room, some of the animals are put to sleep, the old, the ugly, big dogs, less desirable breeds-basically the ones I love the most :( )

Anyhow, for anyone considering an animal, please always consider a pound pup or rescue animal. I know that I will never purchase from a breeder again now that I have seen all the great animals that are available and need homes so desperately. :angel:

Off my soapbox....:)

mustang8998
03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Craig I know how you feel now about Cody... Last night I had to put my dog Chance to sleep. He was pushing 15yrs old. I was told that for a Full-blooded Lab that was well beyond their typical life span. I don't think I have even cried as hard as I did last night. I could barely stand to be in the same room when they injected him. It was like all the life was taken out of me... and all I could keep saying was that he was in a better place.

This morning we went down the Berry, KY where we have a farm and put him underneath his favorite tree... so he will be happy in the country from now on.

I know alot of people are not pet people... but you never know the impact that they have on your life until they are gone. I don't know if I will find another dog, I think I will because there is already a void that needs to be filled, but I don't know if I will find another one as good as he was!

Sorry to be messing up your thread Craig... I hope you and your girls find a dog that helps you fill that empty void... its just I needed to vent... Life is different the day after

Nick, I can totally understand how you feel. Maggie and I had to put our dog to sleep, two weeks ago. :( We are both crushed. I don't know if or when, we will get another dog. Time will tell.

I do know that we will get a young dog, from a shelter, whenever the time is right.

rally
03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
we put are scottie down on the 17th, we were in the room when they did it.
one of the hardest events in my life.

Maximus
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Ok, you guys are killing me. Im So happy that I got my new buddy, but damn....I just read about you guys putting yours down. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I miss Cody to this day, but im looking forward to raising my new lil guy. Your pain will heal and the memories will last forever. Take your time when getting another they are well worth the effort.

So anywho....Here he is.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/503042/12284154/241252415.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/503042/12284154/241252419.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/503042/12284154/241252424.jpg

We decided on Bruno. The others were very cute, but very Hyper. They are still available and the adoption fee is only $49.95. They are up to date with the shots and fixed.

My lil guy (no name yet) is laying here under my chair, sleeping. Im excited about this new journey.....like I didnt have enough going on already:D

orangedemon331
03-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Looks like the mail man's new best friend!!:lol:

Good luck Guy!!:bigthumb

MsBlkramair
03-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Oh my gosh! He is so cute!!!!! Good pick of the litter there!

All three of your girls are beautiful also. He will have a great home it looks like a lot of love there already.

Evil_Capri
03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Congratulations!

May he enjoy the love your family will give him, cause I'm sure he'll give you guys plenty!

And I'm sorry for those who have lost their pets as of late.

dedpedal
03-27-2007, 10:33 PM
hey guy, I got to get up there and make friends with Bruno.Just like you need to make friends with Stewie. Hes cool looking.

Mr.Moontang
03-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I like the name Bruno.

Black Horse
03-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Now that is one cute pup - put him down Craig before you make him all ugly ;)

Nice dog, I'm sure he will be quite appreciative of you saving him. He'll do well keeping the boys away from your girls too.

RACEME
03-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Good looking dog Craig! Let me know when he is ready to practice running off little girl's boyfriends. I got a few he can practic on!

Black Hole
03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Congrats Craig!

I was gonna tell ya.....I picked up my full-bread German Sheppard (no papers) from a place on Hamilton Ave. up in College Hill. I can't remember the name of the place, but I also got my Rottie-lab from them.

Her GT
03-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Congrats!!! He is so cute.

Dipstick
03-29-2007, 12:08 AM
same question as kevin here: someone give us details on getting a dog ... craig put the petfinder page up and i was browsing ... i wouldnt mind having a little guy around the pad, since i cant find a damn girl :lol:

whats the details? ... do you have to have a yard / house?

If ya want a girl get a Great Dane. They are the biggest attention getters.
Go to this website. It is right outside Bethel. www.hhdane.com I have 2 danes from there and a doberman from the hand-me-down dobes in columbus.
I would never buy a pet from a pet store I will always adopt.

MrsAPE
03-29-2007, 08:57 AM
he's very cute. congrats!! you have one great looking family to come home too!!

Maximus
03-29-2007, 11:56 AM
We took "Bodie" to the Vet today. Hes healthly and the Vet said he looks good, and hes gonna be a Big Boy :D

Black92LX
03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
good looking pup there Craig. Any reason you didn't look at any girls??

I recently lost my cat to the "Pet Food Recall" trying to decide if I should get another.

Maximus
03-29-2007, 04:22 PM
good looking pup there Craig. Any reason you didn't look at any girls??

I recently lost my cat to the "Pet Food Recall" trying to decide if I should get another.

I have a wife, a step daughter, daughter and a femal rabbit...Im about Femaled out:D

9 weeks, 13lbs

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/503042/12284154/241663587.jpg

Black92LX
03-29-2007, 05:20 PM
that would explain it.

Gene
03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Good looking dog, Craig!

It's tough to know when it's the "right" time to get your next dog. I had to put my Westie to sleep in March 2004, and I'm just now feeling up to getting a new dog. I have a cat now, but dogs are much cooler.

Black Hole
03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a wife, a step daughter, daughter and a femal rabbit...Im about Femaled out:D

9 weeks, 13lbs

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/503042/12284154/241663587.jpg
I can relate.....wife and 2 female dogs at my house plus 2 sisters, 1 sister-in-law, 1 niece, 2 female dogs at the in-laws house, mom, mother-in-law, 1 female dog at my mom's house....and that's just my immediate family....:bangwall: