PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals on a '92 stang

winner70ta
03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Do all of the side marker turn signal lamps (two per side) be good for the signals to work? Signals were not working but the running lamps were on. Upon checking the two front found that the same filament was burnt on each. Then removed one of the rears last night and found the same but did not have new bulbs yet. I "assume" (hate that) then that they all have to be good per side for the sigs to work.
Oh yeah, the cylindrical flasher....for '92 I take it that it is just one flasher unit that controls both of the turn sigs and the emergency flashers. Appears that earlier years used two separate flasher units.
TIA

dedpedal
03-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I think you are right on with your assumptions. Get a couple bulbs and see if it works.

winner70ta
03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Okay, bulbs replaced, flasher replaced and still no turn signals. I visually checked the fuse and it does not look to be broken or burnt but will change it anyways just to check. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a separate flasher for the turn signals that is hiding.
Couple other issues:
Heater blower motor fan not working. Again the fuse for this looks good too. I bought the car from the 2nd owners who have had it since '95 and there are under 100k on a very stock car. Thoughts?

When I start the car up the tach jumps up to 3800 rpm (engine is not revving this high) and it stays there. Will move a little higher when driving and will drop back to zero when the car gets turned off. Something hooked up backasswards maybe?

mustang8998
03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Could be a fusible link causing the problem. There are several, that start at the solenoid and go to various fuses, in the main fuse block.

The tach problem, sounds like a ground issue, but I don't know

92coupe
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
The turn signal flasher is in the glove box hard to find if you dont know where to look.

dedpedal
03-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Ahhhhhhhh DUH! check the block under the steering colum. theres an orange wire(I think) that isnt held into the harness. push it in and see what happens.
kev

winner70ta
03-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys! Will check tomorrow after I get home from work and post the results.:bigthumb

Carl
03-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Ummm...hate to bring this up, but all the issues you are talking about are all to familiar. Ponyman had this same problem on his GT and it turned out the ignition switch wires were burnt up. Pull the plastic off the column and visually inspect ALL the wires going to the ignition switch.

Do not drive it if possible!!!! I can't stress that enough!!!!

Carl
03-28-2007, 12:59 AM
After a search...here is his post.

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343&highlight=ignition

Here is the update with the corrective issue.

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3529&postcount=18

winner70ta
03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Dayam! I read your post about the ignition switch. Is this problem for all of the Fox body cars or only for certain years?

winner70ta
03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Found this link: http://www.autosite.com/content/own/service/index.cfm/action/RecallsView/seriesid/2822

winner70ta
03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Hmmmm...called a dealership and explained the situation. I have to call back with the VIN to see "if the recall includes my call". Will do for the sake of having a freebie done but is this S.O.P. when checking on recall issues?

winner70ta
03-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Checked with two dealerships, including Beechmont, and there are no "open recalls" for my car. The service guy at Beechmont did give me several good clues to start checking on as well as all of your suggestions. Will post when I find the culprit(s).

Carl
03-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Just because it went in for the recall doesn't mean it couldn't happen again. The column wiring in the fox stangs is far from stellar.

Carl
03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
So...????? Get it figured out?

winner70ta
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Been draggin my feet (or sumthin) as there was the swap at C-Bus Saturday and family get together stuff today plus drop our other new car off early at the body shop (some #%@# tapped it at work and ran).

WCKDGT
04-01-2007, 10:08 PM
i bought matts 88 gt and the same thing happened to it about 3 months after i bought it, thats 1 reason i sold it

winner70ta
04-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, I have been lazy and waiting for warmer weather and not doing anything but basic checks. Been driving the car besides some warnings as it has been running very well and no additional problems. Until today. Went to start the car and it was not a happening thing. Turned the key to the first position and no power. If I applied pressure as to start the car and there was electric, fuel pump running and all, but if I took my hand off of the key it was dead. Have ordered a new switch and key tumbler which should be in late this afternoon. Figure I might as well put all new in since it will be apart and leave nothing to chance. Looks like you guys identified the problem.

winner70ta
04-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Just finished up a little bit ago. I now have signals, heater blower motor and rear window defroster. The electrical switch of the ignition came apart in my hand as I loosened the two star head bolts holding it in place. The "plastic" body had separated from the metal housing. I am thrilled to say that nothing was burnt or fried or melted like what some of you guys had happened. You all diagnosed the problem dead nuts on. Thanks!! :bigthumb
The only thing is that the tach, not the engine, runs up to 3800 rpm upon start up and stays there while driving unless I rev the engine higher and then it will go up. But back off the gas and it goes to that 3800 number until I turn off the car and it goes back to zero. Kevin said something about an orange wire, in one of the above posts, and I am not sure if he was kidding or there is one and I am just not certain where to look for it :HYF: Help?