PDA

View Full Version : With all the talk about new pets...

Paul408Notch
03-27-2007, 04:02 PM
It reminded me I never posted pics of our latest little one.

This is Zia. We found her huddled up against the San Felipe De Neri church in Old Town Albuquerque, NM back just before New Years. It was getting late and was starting to get really cold. My girlfriend was taking some pictures of the Christmas tree in the square and I heard something whimpering. I finally found her huddled up in the corner in the dirt. She was kind of shy, but eventually came up to us. It was supposed to get down below freezing and start snowing that night so I picked her up and took her back to our hotel.

She behaved really well, so the next day we took her to a vet there and had her checked out. The vet said she was very healthy, was a very young ferrell cat, but would make an excellent pet. So we left her at the vet overnight while we finished our vacation in NM, and brought her home the next day. She and our other cat didn't get along at all at first, so we had to keep them separated for a couple of months, but now they at least don't try to kill each other.

The name Zia is the symbol for the state of New Mexico, so that's how we came up with the name. This is pretty much what it looks like.

http://www.specialtymile.com/laserprod/zia.jpg

Here she is about a week after we brought her home.

http://www.paultown.com/Zia/Web1.jpg

And these two are from a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.paultown.com/Zia/Web2.jpg

http://www.paultown.com/Zia/Web3.jpg

She's been a pretty good cat so far. The vet told us that torties are very dominating, and love to knock stuff off of desks and counters, but so far she's fairly mellow and only knocks stuff down on occasion. She LOVES to play fetch for some reason, and is the only cat I've ever known that isn't afraid of water. She constantly wants in the shower when either of us are in there. So yeah, just thought I'd share for those of you who like cats. I still like dogs a little better, but cats sure are low-maintenance.

Holly
03-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Awwww... she's adorable Paul! I never thought I'd see the day you had one cat, yet alone two!

Two cats make it more interesting. Rudy and Reese were fighing last night in their new condo (3 level - flea market special). They were cracking me up. Reese is a frisky little girl, for being half the size of Rudy!

dedpedal
03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Shes adorable! (did I really just say that?). She reminds me of the Freak Bitch. Very controlling of the other cats ( we had 4 at the time) I dont remember her knocking stuff over, but she was very territorial when it cam to me or Amy spending time with the other cats. We got her as a kitten over in Newport (not Craig btw) on a cold night. She followed us a couple of blocks to the car and wouldnt let us leave till she was inside with me.Torties do make great pets.
Our newest cat,Stewie, likes to play fetch too.

rally
03-27-2007, 05:01 PM
she is cute, we had to put are scottish terrier down on the 17th. she was 12+ yrs old, scotties rarely live past 8 or 9 yrs. we wereblessed to have her around for so long.

Paul408Notch
03-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I never thought I'd own a cat either, but they're good animals. When Abby isn't stalking Zia, she loves to lay in my lap when I watch TV or play games. I guess they're somewhat similar to dogs, in that they greet me at the door every night, and love attention. The biggest differences are that if you try to put a leash on a cat, it instantly becomes a paperweight, and a cat doesn't learn to obey anything like a dog will.

I'm still a total dork when I get to play with a big dog, but they both have awesome qualities. :)

Maximus
03-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Im not a fan of cats, but that one is cute:)

Paul408Notch
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
The two things about her that crack me up are:

1: The hair growing out of he rears makes her have that Lynx look or something.

2: We call her "Secret Meow" as a nickname because she whispers her meows. I don't think I've heard a full meow out of her more than 2-3 times. It reminds me of when a little kid is trying to whisper something and he's kind of obvious about it.