PDA

View Full Version : coil bind

Steves LX
04-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know how to measure for coil bind?

MFIELD
04-04-2007, 04:59 PM
What springs, motor or suspension?

Steves LX
04-04-2007, 09:18 PM
valve springs

theyallslow
04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
what kind of cam, heads and springs?

Steves LX
04-05-2007, 08:00 AM
They are stock heads with what I beleive to be stock springs. 303 F cam. Last night when I got home I turned the motor over by hand until one of my intake valves was completely opened and I litterally had coils touching each other. So I tried a few other ones and they weren't much better. A couple of them only had .015-.020 clearance in between the coils. Not sure but that would tell me if its that close sitting still I can imagine under a load. What I have going on is ticking chatter sounds like a locomotive. Its quiet at idle but as soon as you rev it up or drive it its noisy. Its occurring on both sides. I have already replaced the lifters and rockers and differn't pushrods. I have confirmed that its definitely not a header leak as well as 3 other places have to. This is the only other thing I can think of. And by looking at how close each coil is to one another on the few I checked not sure if thats how its suppose to be when the valve is fully opened or not. This all started after I had some machine work done on my block and heads. My preload is fine. I have ruled that out as well as the lifters and rockers. I had a 3 angle valve job done on the heads and a clean up cut. As far as the block it was just freshened up and the deck was milled a bit. But like I said I have plenty of preload.

JonS
04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I believe you need at least .060 clearance total. I would measure between coils with a feeler gauge and see what you get. If you have coils touching then you definately have a problem.

Steves LX
04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I measured in between the coils with the springs fully compressed valve fully opened and the most I came up with is .020