PDA

View Full Version : 06 Gt questions

BlazinEagle
04-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I am thinking about getting a set of cams for my 06.
I have a 06 Gt automatic with K&N intake, Flowmaster exhaust and a Jet performance module. I have a set of 4.10 gears but they are not installed yet.
First question is what odes a stall converter do and what all is involved with them (I have never owned and auto before). The cam I am looking at recommends a 2300 stall convertor.
Second question what else should I change besides some valve springs. and getting it tuned?
The cams I am looking at have these specs:
RPM Range 1500-6000. 227/233 .050" duration, .480/.480 lift, 114 LSA.

05yellowgt
04-06-2007, 06:44 PM
What is your goal for the car first off? I'd say cams should wait till you have done all the other bolt ons (intake, headers, CMCP's, tune ect). You an get a very solid 280rwhp out of a 3v auto without the cams. When you do get to the point where you want to do cams it depends on what goals you have. Most will be happy with a Comp stage 2 or 3. You aren't going to get a huge lope at idle with either of those cams if that is what you are looking for. With the Variable cam timing the cam manufactures have stayed conservative with their aftermarket cams thus far.

As far as a converter a 3000 stall will do great for you while still being fairly tame for every day driving.

BlazinEagle
04-06-2007, 11:40 PM
My goal is to have a decently quick car around 300-325hp(for now) with some room to grow. I do not want to do any power adders or anything like that. When I choose a cam I will also get the tune at the same time. Probably have MD install the cams and the tune. I am in the process of looking for an offroad x or h pipe that is not too expensive.As for headers I can do that whenever I choose a brand I want to go with.

05yellowgt
04-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Sounds like a stage 3 Comp cam will do you well. I'm going with the stage 4 myself on my new stroker motor but that might be a little much for an auto.

firestang70
04-07-2007, 06:26 AM
When you do the cams I would recommend having a good P&P job on the heads. Fox Lake does good work and has alot experience with the 3v heads. Let us know how it goes I would love to check the car out after you are done with it.

05yellowgt
04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I was just reading the other day that a set of PP heads and 11.5:1 compression stroker motor with stock cams and all the other bolt ons made 360rwhp through an auto. It's crazy what these's 3v motors will do even when built n/a. Throw some big cams on that motor and I'd be willing to bet to closes in on 400rwhp through an auto tranny. I'm planning on building a similar motor to that next year and throwing it in an 05/06 as a DD and turning my current car into more of a track only car.