PDA

View Full Version : Centering an engine/transmission

Sparky
04-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I've been working on this 87 ranger for quite some time now, and have just recently started driving it. I've got a 5.0 with a 5-speed and a 2001 ranger 4x4 8.8 rearend. What I didn't realize until I had built the truck is the ranger has an offset rearend, about a 4 inch offset to the right if my measuring is correct. The problem is a combination of a few things. The biggest problem is driveshaft noise. It doesn't vibrate really bad but you can hear it enough to tell its out of phase. After studying everything , I've found that the engine isn't sitting in the frame right and the transmission is cocked as well. The crankshaft is off center to the left by about a half inch, because the right side of the engine is sitting lower in the crossmember. This is also causing the tranny to shift to the right partially, and is probably mounted off center itself. The tranny is is off to the right about an inch. When you have a vehicle with an offset rearend, is the engine supposed to be off center too? I realize that the engine should be parallel with the centerline of the frame, but should it be inline as well? I'm having a hard time finding someone that can answer this or knows what direction to point me in. I just dont understand what the rules are as far as pinion angle and transmission angle go when you're dealing with an offset rear. Should I just put a centered rear in the truck? I already installed a fuel cell behind the axle, so I really don't need the driveshaft-to- fuel tank clearance. All I can say is I'm glad I paid a guy 1000 bucks to put my engine in for me. Money well spent:HYF:

Timido
04-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I could be wrong but I think the engine and trans should be paralled with the frame and perpendicular (Damn thats a big word) to the rear end. The engine does not have to be perfectly centered. The Mustang Engine is offset a could inchs.