PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a set of eibach front drag springs compressed and bound?

5.0calypso93lx
04-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Anyone know of any places around that can compress and bind some front Eibach drag springs? The Autobone spring compressors are junk, and a local Monro shop wanted a full hour's labor to compress and bind them. Thanks

bobtsgt
04-07-2007, 10:11 PM
compress and bind?

5.0calypso93lx
04-07-2007, 10:15 PM
compress and bind?

Yea, with metal-like zip ties that you can cut once the spring is in place.

bobtsgt
04-07-2007, 10:28 PM
why not just put them in by hand? its not that hard. or are you doing it for another reason?

5.0calypso93lx
04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
why not just put them in by hand? its not that hard. or are you doing it for another reason?

Well, we got the passenger side on, but for some reason, the POS autobone compressor won't crank down anymore, even though we aren't nearly as far cranked down as we were before. Its close though, so I'm sure we could pop out the front control arm bolt, and get that extra bit of clearance. But we stopped early today because he still has the 170k mile rubber bushings in his control arms, and you can take a guess at what those look like, haha.

So, I was just hoping we could have them compressed and bound, so we could just set them in the perches, connect everything, and cut the straps once everything is bolted up.

bobtsgt
04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
thats a good idea. are the springs really that much stouter and/or taller? could go buy a good one if you think your going to use it more then once in life. that way next time your covered.

5.0calypso93lx
04-07-2007, 10:56 PM
thats a good idea. are the springs really that much stouter and/or taller? could go buy a good one if you think your going to use it more then once in life. that way next time your covered.

They're about the same height as the stock springs, but seem to be quite a bit stiffer. Hopefully this is the last time I have to do front springs for a while!

Jeff88coupe
04-07-2007, 11:46 PM
I have done several sets of springs in the past. Know anybody that works at a place with a shipping dock? I just bound all the ones I did with the steel binding straps that is used to strap stuff to pallets.

331TwistedWedge
04-08-2007, 12:03 AM
i just drop the a-arm down all the way (car jacked up in the air for good clearance) get it started with the bottom end barely catching the a-arm lip - then jack the a-arm up ... done! ... takes 2 jacks and some patience ...

if you have the piece of crap auto zone compressor, let it sit overnight with them clamped down ... when you release it the day you work on the car, you will find the spring about 1/2" - 1" shorter and a little easier to install ... or like jeff said, some banders will work out nicely / then cut once inserted ...