PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for 100hp shot, '96 Cobra

SVTCobraUC
04-10-2007, 03:35 AM
I didn't want to hijack the last thread, as I'm new here and some forums get really mad at that.

I have a 96 cobra, running a NX Gen 2 upgrade kit. 100hp shot "wet" (I think, sprays both gas and nitrous just before the tb, is this "wet"?). I'm using a BMN window switch with 1st gear lockout and only firing at WOT between 3500-6700rpm.

I just switched my plugs out to NGK TR6, which to my understanding is 1 step colder.

So with this, do I need to change the timing? And if so... how the heck do I do that? I hear people talk about it all the time, and I'm not mechanically dumb. Just wondering how hard it is, and if it's necessary?

Thanks for your help here!

Chris :D

smytty
04-10-2007, 05:22 AM
I didn't want to hijack the last thread, as I'm new here and some forums get really mad at that.

I have a 96 cobra, running a NX Gen 2 upgrade kit. 100hp shot "wet" (I think, sprays both gas and nitrous just before the tb, is this "wet"?). I'm using a BMN window switch with 1st gear lockout and only firing at WOT between 3500-6700rpm.

I just switched my plugs out to NGK TR6, which to my understanding is 1 step colder.

So with this, do I need to change the timing? And if so... how the heck do I do that? I hear people talk about it all the time, and I'm not mechanically dumb. Just wondering how hard it is, and if it's necessary?

Thanks for your help here!

Chris :DIf your asking if you have to get retuned or pull timing from switching plugs its no.... NOw the only problems yo umight have is if they arent gapped properly:bigthumb

SVTCobraUC
04-10-2007, 10:52 AM
:) No, I was asking if I needed to retard timing still, even after I've changed the plugs and running as many "safety" features I can. I gapped them at .035" which was is what I was recommended.

firestang70
04-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I would go with the colder plugs. I would get it tuned to be safe. That way you can see that your A/F mixture stays in the safe range. You probably will want to pull some timing to avoid detonation. Look under the vendors and call Modular Depot. Ken and Brandon can hook you up. Also you do have a wet kit. Welcome aboard.

SVTCobraUC
04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks Dale, so do you think the NGK TR6 are cold enough? From what I've read they're 1 step colder than stock. For a 100 shot that sounded like the common consensus. I'll check out Modular Depot.

strokercobra
04-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks Dale, so do you think the NGK TR6 are cold enough? From what I've read they're 1 step colder than stock. For a 100 shot that sounded like the common consensus. I'll check out Modular Depot.

I installed a 125 dry kit from NOS and I put the TR7's in my cobra. Ken (mod depot) pulled back the timing alot to avoid det. problem was that the fuel pump and injectors couldn't keep up. started to get lean at 4k and had to shut down. In the process of upgrading my fuel system. You really should have it dialed in.

SVTCobraUC
04-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Hey Jeff,
Years ago I put in a 255l/h Walboro fuel pump.. 'just in case' I ever used the NX kit or upgraded to a blower. I don't think that'll be a cause of me leaning out. If I may ask.. did you use a Diablo sport, or did they just redo the computer? How much $$$ do you think I'll be looking at?

Thanks!

strokercobra
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Hey Jeff,
Years ago I put in a 255l/h Walboro fuel pump.. 'just in case' I ever used the NX kit or upgraded to a blower. I don't think that'll be a cause of me leaning out. If I may ask.. did you use a Diablo sport, or did they just redo the computer? How much $$$ do you think I'll be looking at?

Thanks!

I had a Diablo sport but Ken took it out and put in an SCT tune. He's gonna put an sct chip in so I can have a duel tune set up. That way I won't have to be detuned while I'm just driving around. In addition to the pump I'm upgrading to 39 lbs injectors. The stocks just can't handle it. Prolly looking at between $800-1000. I can't wait, I was pulling 370 hp and 420 tq at the wheels with the fuel system going baserk at 4k. With addequate fuel my max output should be 450/500 rwhp/tq respectively. Sounds like a nice kit that you have, I would definitely use it. What size injectors are you running?

Jeff

SVTCobraUC
04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm currently running stock injectors... will these handle the 100 shot? I believe stock are 24lb injectors??? I think my old '93 GT had 19lb injectors if I recall. I've been "out" of the car hobby for quite some time... just decided to get back in it now that I've got the car paid off :)

bobtsgt
04-13-2007, 08:16 AM
it your going with a wet kit then your injectors should be fine. since your spraying out the nozzle jet to make up the extra fuel. Plus it sounds like your pump should do well. just make sure you use the right sized jets to match eachother and that your regulator isn't holding you back and you should be good to go