PDA

View Full Version : IMRC Cleaning/Deletes

SVTCobraUC
04-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Ok... it's been a long time since I read some articles on this back when I had a subscription to 5.0 Mustangs and Fast Fords (or something like that).

I have a '96 Cobra that I'm trying to tune up and make faster, and I'm sure with 92k miles on it... it probably needs this done.

First, how terrible is doing this? I heard it's a pain to get them clean. A necessity but a pain?

Second, tell me more about the deletes.. something about cutting and epoxying...? Can you just buy them somewhere so I don't go crazy with my dremel and screw things up? What are the gains here? Why would you want to do this.

Basically I'm running a stock motor for the street, with a few bolt ons, MAF/TB/K&N/and exhaust. I am planning on running my NX kit w/100hp shot every "once and a while (we'll see how addicting this is).

Thanks for your input!

venomous_svt
04-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Alot of cobra owners run seafoam through to clean the imrc's. It always seems to do the trick.

heres a link to a complete breakdown step by step cleaning if you wanna go that far.
http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf

As far as IMRC deletes, I have always heard that you lose some in the bottom end and gain in the upper. You can occassionally find the old deletes they use to sell. But, it always seemed kinda pointless to me, so I never did.

hope this helped:bigthumb

na svt
04-17-2007, 04:20 PM
To make deletes, remove the rods and valves from your IMRC and fill the "rod" holes (between the cylinders) with a good epoxy ir have them welded. That's it.

Do not go with deletes unless you have at least 4.10s.

mpe331lx
04-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Your IMRC's are probably pretty nasty by now. One of the two ports for each cylinder gets cleaned constantly by the injector. The other port gets carbon buildup fairly quickly. To get the best performance out of a 96-98 you should do the seafoam treatment every 5000 miles of so (every other oil change would work).
As for the IMRC deletes, It all depends on how you drive your car. Like NA SVT stated, you want AT LEAST 4.10s. If you only occasionally hit the interstate go with 4.30s. For the best all out performance put some 4.56 in that beast! Dont listen to the ones that have not done it, saying "thats too much gear". Your car loves to rev, and the steep gear will keep it in its powerband. Around town, you will not notice a difference in gas milage with the 4.30s, maybe a little with the 4.56s.

na svt
04-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Don't fear the gear. PM JIMS SVT, he may have some deletes but if not, he may be able to make some for ya pretty quick. He makes a pretty good short runner intake also.

Don't fear the gear!

venomous_svt
04-19-2007, 01:47 PM
4.30 in mine, I wish I woulda went to the 4.56. First gear is useless in traffic other than creeping from light to light. But absolutely worth it in the end!