PDA

View Full Version : how to run own stereo power wires

Pitviper1996
04-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I just need to know how to run the power wires. Basicaly from where and what i mean by power is the red and yellow wire. and maybe power ant

bobtsgt
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
if you want to control the radio off/on then wire the red and yellow up together to a 12V fused power source. and the power antenna is a output

Paul408Notch
04-16-2007, 12:14 PM
if you want to control the radio off/on then wire the red and yellow up together to a 12V fused power source. and the power antenna is a output

That'll work, but the radio won't turn off when you turn the car off that way. Yellow is supposed to be constant 12V, Red is supposed to be switched 12V that is only on when the key is on.

Pitviper1996
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
nono i ,mean the wires arent even there at least i cant find them. Dunno if previous ownser cut em ripped em out or im just not seeing them. So my question was how do i run my own to get the stereo to work sorry for the confusion

bobtsgt
04-16-2007, 01:17 PM
That'll work, but the radio won't turn off when you turn the car off that way. Yellow is supposed to be constant 12V, Red is supposed to be switched 12V that is only on when the key is on.
thats why I put if you want to control the radio by manually turning it on/off. sorry for not saying that

nono i ,mean the wires arent even there at least i cant find them. Dunno if previous ownser cut em ripped em out or im just not seeing them. So my question was how do i run my own to get the stereo to work sorry for the confusion
so the stock stereo wires are not present right? you still hook up the yellow and red to a 12V source but you will have to manually turn the radio on and off. that way the radio will still retain all the settings but you just have to make sure you turn it off or the batt will run down. you can run two wires and have it just like stock where the key gives/cuts power to it. then that would require a 12V source and accessory source like Paul said

ibstrokin
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Take voltmeter and find which wire is constant and which is switched. You do this by turning the key off then find which has power, then turn the key on and find the next one that has power. Then go to the install bay at bestbuy and buy a reverse harness and splice back together. you can then put a regular stereo harness to your aftermarket stereo harness. This will allow you to remove/change stereo's without cutting into your factory wiring again. Best Buy can do this for you also if your not comfortable doing it. I used to work there yers ago,it's a common process.