PDA

View Full Version : FAFSA Forms!!!

Bluecrew07
04-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Anyone else ever fill out these stupid forms? they are so confusing. and ask ? that i have no idea about!:confused:

fst 5pto
04-17-2007, 09:06 PM
I've filled them out before... once you do it once everytime thereafter is very simple... as long as nothing changes. What are you having trouble with? They are long but not difficult.

Mr.Moontang
04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
What the heck is FAFSA???

fst 5pto
04-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Free Application for Federal Student Aid... helps people get the money for college...

Ranger50
04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Or screw you out of money..... :mad:

fst 5pto
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I didnt have any bad experiences... how does it screw you out of money?

theyallslow
04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
ya they give you money, in fact all the money you want. but you will have to pay it back at about 3.5%

Ranger50
04-17-2007, 10:02 PM
The year my parents said they had $400 in their checking account... The gubment in turn said they could float a $300/mo parent loan, since it was "disposable income" not "getting by JUST paying bills income"...... That's how.

Brian

fst 5pto
04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
ya they give you money, in fact all the money you want. but you will have to pay it back at about 3.5%

Yea but who loans you money with that low of an interest rate? And not all of it has to be paid back....

95redstang
04-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I did it for the Spring and Summer quarters at Raymond Walters..It's pretty simple...

Maximus
04-18-2007, 01:16 AM
..EDIT.....:HYF:

Short bus people shouldnt be made fun of:eek:

DeckerEnt
04-18-2007, 01:17 AM
3.5% is pretty cheap money. Wish I could get that rate on my home loan.
A college education is worth so much more in the long run than what it costs now. Why do you think doctors go into so much debt with schooling? They will make enough to pay it all back in no time.
Keith

Mista Bone
04-18-2007, 04:56 AM
almost 1900 on SAT's, my son has colleges offering him tech. scholarships.

I'd hate to see his score if he'd tried and had some prep before his first test.

might have busted 2000 out of 2400.

ADaughen
04-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Meh, I don't care for FAFSA, they said my EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) is $25,000. Meaning that is what my wife and I have to pay before they open up their check books. I'm going part time to a state school. I'll never hit $25k. They don't calculate home costs, prior student loans, etc. the lady at the Financial Aid office laughed in my face when I went in and asked what the deal was. :(

Of course... since my little sister is a dependent of my parent's still, and dad is now going to school full time. She is getting a full ride (EFC= $0), mostly scholarships and grants.

A good thing for some of you: now, if you are under 25 you can declare your self independent, and don't have to fill in your parent's info part (talk to your financial aid department or check out the FAFSA website). It helps if they have a lot of cash and don't want to pay for your education.

Mista Bone, can't your child take the test as many times as they want? I know I took the ACT 2x and had a classmate take it until he got a perfect score. I don't know if it would be worthwhile. Usually colleges give out scholarships and grants for a certain score or above. I was in that upper tier with a 28, so I didn't care to waste money or time on more tests.

Mista Bone
04-18-2007, 03:27 PM
He could, but he grads in less than 2 months, likely gonna attend MU of H, all he needed was a diploma to get into the classes.

Only thing he's interested in now in computers. He'd REALLY like to goto Full Sail in FLA......but thats $$$$ for game programmer and what not.

When he turns 18 about a month after graduating he becomes an asst. manager of produce at Krogers making $13 an hour, 45-48 hours a week.

He also said I'd have to wait about 4-6 years before I'd become a grandpa (lets hope so!).......

Yeah, I'm proud of my son :)

5.0calypso93lx
04-18-2007, 03:39 PM
I tried it for my first year of college but was denied. Probably because I'm a white male....

Bluecrew07
04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I've filled them out before... once you do it once everytime thereafter is very simple... as long as nothing changes. What are you having trouble with? They are long but not difficult.
Getting all the info like for my parents income and that kinda stuff. dont know how im gonna get it

95redstang
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Getting all the info like for my parents income and that kinda stuff. dont know how im gonna get it

Do you still live with your parents? Are they going to be on the loan?

95redstang
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I tried it for my first year of college but was denied. Probably because I'm a white male....
You can be denied financial aid but I have never heard of anybody being denied student loans...

Gene
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
You can be denied financial aid but I have never heard of anybody being denied student loans...

What probably happened was that his parents made too much money so he wasn't eligible for grants. Loans are always available.

Ask them? :confused:

That's probably the easiest way. :cool2:

If you're under the age of 23, then your parent's income is counted as part of the application. After 23 you are considered financially independent and your parent's income isn't considered. This is also waived if you are under 23 and married...I had a friend who actually got married specifically to get student loans. Not a bad idea, really...she was married for a year, and got enough in loans to be able to afford Antioch College, now she's an doctor making pretty serious bank.

95redstang
04-18-2007, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=Gene;260489]What probably happened was that his parents made too much money so he wasn't eligible for grants. Loans are always available.

I understand that..It happened to me when I was 20 while going to UC..My parents made really good money, so I was denied any financial aid..I just got loans to pay for it...

Bluecrew07
04-18-2007, 05:41 PM
What probably happened was that his parents made too much money so he wasn't eligible for grants. Loans are always available.

If you're under the age of 23, then your parent's income is counted as part of the application. After 23 you are considered financially independent and your parent's income isn't considered. This is also waived if you are under 23 and married...I had a friend who actually got married specifically to get student loans. Not a bad idea, really...she was married for a year, and got enough in loans to be able to afford Antioch College, now she's an doctor making pretty serious bank.
parnets wouldnt give it. so i stole it from them

Paul408Notch
04-18-2007, 07:01 PM
parnets wouldnt give it. so i stole it from them

You American Badass you.

mustang8998
04-18-2007, 07:26 PM
I thought you were joining the military? :dunno:

BTW, I filled out those forms, for Maggie, when she went to nursing school. I thought they were pretty simple.

ADaughen
04-18-2007, 08:08 PM

It's 25 when I filled mine out 3 months ago. Was 25 when I filed back in '99, '00 and '01 too. :confused:

I didn't live at home after I graduated. But I still had to have their info some time in the last two years it changed so you can declare independence....

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq002.htm#faq002_1

If your parents will not file a tax return:

* Answer Will Not File to question 76 (Have your parents filed a tax return?).
* You will then be taken to question 82 (Income earned from work).
* Enter any money earned from a job that is listed as taxed on a W2 form.
* Then answer only those income questions that apply to your parents from that point on.

ETA:

You can max out on loans too. If your parents refuse to accept loans on your behalf... You can only get ~5000/year through Stafford.
When I filed in '07 Stafford didn't even offer me anything. I have to go through my bank. :(

Gene
04-18-2007, 08:11 PM
It's 25 when I filled mine out 3 months ago. Was 25 when I filed back in '99, '00 and '01 too. :confused:]

Sorry, you're correct. For some reason something in my mind made me think the age cutoff was 23.

ADaughen
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Sorry, you're correct. For some reason something in my mind made me think the age cutoff was 23.

I wish, I was poor when I was 23. I could have gotten most of my college paid for. ;)

5.0calypso93lx
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Thats actually exactly what the problem was. Even with 3 kids in college, they were still denied any grant money! So instead of taking loans out, I joined the army :). And I ended up getting screwed out of that, so now work is paying in full!