PDA

View Full Version : Manual brake conversion, Brakes Suck!

Blowpastyou
04-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I did the ASP brake booster delete to get my master cylinder out of the way of blower piping. I just backed it out of the garage, and it wouldnt hardly stop! are the brakes going to be this horrible until I put aerospace brakes on the front, will this help? Any info on making my brakes better would be appreciated, or if anyone has any better ideas.....Than let me know. Thanks

zzambucca
04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I am not familiar with the ASP conversion, but if all you did was remove the vacuum booster and reuse the old master cylinder, your brakes will always suck. Manual brakes have different piston sizes in the master cylinder, and also the linkage will have to be moved on the brake pedal higher for more leverage (I think).

theyallslow
04-18-2007, 08:35 PM
it should be stiff. but good luck with that.

Blowpastyou
04-18-2007, 08:37 PM
it is just a booster delete, and comes with the linkage. if I have to replace the master cylinder will it help?

Rick93coupe
04-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah you want to replace the master cylinder with something in the 1" bore range. There's a few threads I'm following about it myself. PM me when you get this and I'll send you the links for what you need to know.

Black Horse
04-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Check out the Maximum Motorsports website - they have a manual brake kit that deletes the MC booster and adds a mechanical linkage to increase pedal force. I know of a few guys that race with the set-up, they said it took a little getting used to but they seem to be fine with it.

Upsizing the bore size of the Master Cylinder helps too!

zzambucca
04-18-2007, 10:03 PM
I just looked it up, and your cylinder bore should be around an inch. The bigger the bore the harder it will be to stop. I know that sounds backwards, but with a bigger bore, it takes more force at the piston to make more pressure at the caliper, hence the vacuum booster to help.

mustangboy
04-18-2007, 11:20 PM
I believe your biggest issue is leverage. If I remember correctly you are suppose to drill a hole approx 1 inch above the current one to relocate the piston further up.

Rick93coupe
04-18-2007, 11:36 PM
I just looked it up, and your cylinder bore should be around an inch. The bigger the bore the harder it will be to stop. I know that sounds backwards, but with a bigger bore, it takes more force at the piston to make more pressure at the caliper, hence the vacuum booster to help.

When stepping up to bigger brakes it becomes necessary to get a bigger bore.

zzambucca
04-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Sorry, I didn't see anything about a brake/caliper upgrade in the post, other than the vac boost delete.

Blowpastyou
04-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Im going to put aerospace brakes on it in a month or so. But I have to take it to 2quk4u's house to get my blower piping and through floor subframes put in. So I want to brakes to work somewhat for now.

Rob
04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
It looks like you have a lot invested in this car, I would go with Strange or Willwood brakes. Aerospace are not the best by far.

MFIELD
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I was wondering about this also. I converted to a rear disc brakes and used Firebird rear brakes what should I be looking for. Sorry for the hijack.

Blowpastyou
04-19-2007, 05:45 PM
im going to have to look into the other brakes. I like the looks of the aerospace, and the price didnt seem so bad.