PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand how some companies are run...

Paul408Notch
04-19-2007, 02:12 PM
So I chewed up a couple of lobes on the cam in my motor, and called Comp Cams about a new one. They spec it out, tell me what to order, and I call Cincy to have them order it. They fax in the order, and I get a new custom-ground cam drop-shipped to my house. Last weekend I pulled the old cam out, and get ready to put the new one in, and it's the wrong one.

The cam I needed was a goofy-assed 351W retrofit cam, and they sent a standard 5.0L cam. I would much rather run the standard cam because it would make more power, but I didn't want to drop the 450 bucks on the stupid retrofit lifters. So a bunch of calls are made back and forth between here and Cincy, to find out that the order was placed exactly as I stated, and that Comp was the responsible party for the mess-up.

So I figure that it would be cheaper for Comp to just have me keep this custom-ground-for-my-application-that-nobody-else-would-be-dumb-enough-to-run cam and knock 100 bucks off of a set of the lifters I need, than for me to send it back and have them grind me another one from the correct billet. I apparently was wrong. They want to eat the cost of this cam, and the cost of the cam and labor to grind another cam, rather than knock 100 bucks off of a set of lifters that would make their customer (me) much happier. Even if they were going to re-grind this cam for another customer, the labor for setting up two cams and grinding them both has to be more than the 100 bucks I wanted off of the lifters.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but none of this makes a lick of sense to me.