PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder rebuild?

Gene
04-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know of a local place that can rebuild a kind of oddball master cylinder? The underbody-mounted clutch master cylinder on my 1967 Alfa Romeo is apparently made of unobtanium. Are there any local places that may be able to "make something work" when it comes to rebuilding this thing? I can possibly adapt a Porsche master cylinder to work, but the holes are already drilled in the frame to mount the 1969 Alfa piece.

Timido
04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Can you get a rebuild kit? It is usally just seals and o rings.

YouGotJunk
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
What do you need brakes for??...Just cut the floors out of it and put your feet down when ur ready to stop!!!!

Gene
04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Can you get a rebuild kit? It is usally just seals and o rings.

You could...in the 1970s. Like I said, they're pretty much unobtanium. That's why I'm hoping to find a shop that might be able to make something work. The bores look fine, no pitting or anything, so it should be rebuildable.

Black Horse
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Gene: You should be able to pull it apart and replace all of the seals/o-rings. You'll need an o-ring material that will not react to brake fluid (don't use rubber/neoprene/viton) Ohio hydraulics should be able to order you in silicone ones. (Thats why the old Alfa MC's failed so quickly to begin with)

KB1
04-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Sent you a PM